“I only wish I lived closer...” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 45 Restaurants in Newtown
Cuisines: Ice Cream
Rockingham, Vermont
“I only wish I lived closer...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Okay so there was a crowd AND there was a bit of difficulty parking AND a few cars came a bit too close to the customers trying to get a spot on the far side. It was raining on our first visit and it was still packed with ice cream aficionados. Now that is the downside.

The ice cream stand is set in front of a working dairy farm with black and white cows dotting the hill and fields around Rt 302 and the parking area. There are picnic tables and benches and rocks to sit on. I don't know if it was good timing, but we were able to find open seating easily.

The upside (and why you come to this wonderful place) the ice cream was fantastic. I don't think I could come up with enough descriptive adjectives or ones you have read here before.

Though there was a great deal of people the lines moved quickly and people were friendly. I mean who wouldn't be waiting for an ice cream treat? The first visit I thought I'd take it easy, a hot fudge sundae with Moo tracks vanilla with peanut butter and chocolate. The fudge was perfect not too sweet, whipped cream, peanuts and cherry on top. I wish I stuck with my original plan and gotten the rookie-size sundae, but on advice from the server I went for the regular size. It was a lot of ice cream for me and sadly some ended up in the trash.

The second visit a few days later, I had 2 scoop cup —White House (almond ice cream with generous amount of cherries) and Raspberry swirl chunk (Vanilla base with swirl of raspberry and dark choc. chips.) It was a perfect combo.

Looks like there are some standard flavors but the rotate in a good deal of special selections. All the pricing looked more than reasonable.

If you have time to sit and enjoy a day in Newtown CT it is worth a trip. I wish I lived closer. On second thought I'd probably gain too much weight. But still, what a heavenly way to add it!

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Newtown
“Amaaaazing Ice Cream Selections”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The quality of the ice cream is first rate. The selections of flavors and tast is incredible. Try your favorite two flavors on a waffle cone. Worth the trip down route 302! Cows and Barn make it a true ice cream destination. Plenty of parking and places to sit and enjoy.

Visited May 2013
Easton, Connecticut
“Best Ice cream in the WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

It was my second time there it was as perfect as my first time. I recommend getting a small because the portions are huge. Each lick of ice cream tastes like paradise. If you live around or in Newtown you have to go no questions.

Visited August 2012
Newtown, Connecticut
“Amazing! Ice Cream lover's dream!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

After reading about Ferris Acres Creamery I HAD to try it! My run trip out to the creamery was a dud - there was a long line (which I expected based on what I had read) but I couldn't find a parking spot. I wasn't surprised considering how beautiful of a day it was in NW Connecticut.

On my second go, we arrived shortly after they opened. I decided to try one of their signature flavors, ba da bing - chocolate ice cream with chocolate chunks and bing cherries. The texture was creamy, you could taste cherries in each bite, and the flavor was delicious. I ended up sharing my cup with my husband and daughter who both really enjoyed it. My husband, who is not normally a dessert person, said it was excellent.

The wait was just a few minutes and the staff was extremely friendly. There is a wide variety of menu items - sundaes, shakes, homemade waffle cones, and many toppings. The ice cream is made on site and is worth the trip out to the farm. I am already looking forward to trying them again!

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
new york
“Best Ice Cream EVER”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Driving through the quiet and now infamous town of Newtown, CT, you must stop off at The Creamery. The most amazing selection of the freshest ice cream around- from pumpkin oreo in the fall to year round specialties like Elvis' Dream (bananas peanut butter and chocolate) to Bada Bing (chocolate with bing cherries) to classics and soft serve. Prices are reasonable and for the quality you cannot get any better. Its only open from April-October and man do I miss it when it's not available. The last commercial dairy farm in Fairfield County, you get a beautiful view and faint smell of cows as you are eating your cone! One of a kind!

• Visited July 2012