“From Excellent to Average!!” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #23 of 87 restaurants in Newington
Cuisines: Asian
Hartford, Connecticut
“From Excellent to Average!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

It pains me to write this review as I've been going to Ming Palace for over 15 years and have been a happy and loyal customer. As expressed by some other reviewers, I was a known person there and could call in with just my name and get my "regular" order. In fact, I lived in CA during some of these years and when coming back to CT for visits, I would get food here, freeze it and bring it home to CA.
But it seems that things have changed there and if there are new owners, I hope they'll take these reviews to heart and make some changes to get back to the way things are. My last few visits have found the food to be very bland and tasteless. Portions and prices are the same but the food just isn't good anymore...so much so that I've stopped going there. I know change is inevitable but I hope this once very good Chinese restaurant can return to its better days.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

66% Recommend
Harford, Pennsylvania
“best chinese food in the town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I have had excellent Chinese food and have been looking for a long time for a decent Chinese restaurant in newington. I was very impressed with the food at Nice Chinese Restaurant. I had the General Tso's chicken and it really was quite good. The rice that came with it was also very good. and special the eggroll it was so Very good too. Sorry to everyone whose had a bad experience. good atmosphere great food very enjoyable!!! place..We're going again tonight.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Newington, Connecticut
“Good...but not as good as in the past”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Not sure if Ming is under new ownership, but while the food is still good Chinese food.it's not QUITE as good as years past.
Meals are hot and portions are good sized. Unlimted crispy noodles and duck sauce/hot mustard are awesome and a MUST! ;)
The plum wine is also a real treat, as is the homemade egg rolls -- DELICIOUS!...tho' this time they were a little on the greasy side...which has not been the norm in years past.
Over all, I think the place could use a good cleaning and some updating...but overall, still good food.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Connecticut
“Goog, but not as good as it used to be”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

We have been Ming Palace patrons for 16 years. We probably used to order from their twice a month, at least. The owners knew us - we would call for our food and they would ask how our kids were. If I picked up, they asked how our vacation was or "We've missed you" if we hadn't been there in a while. The food was always reliable, delicious and reminds me of NYC chinese food.

A few months ago, we noticed a change in the staff. They old owners must have sold it and some of the recipes have changed. It's still good, but not quite the same. We still order take out but less frequently. We now started to favor a Thai place down the road.

Don't let this review sway you from trying it. It is good. But sometimes change isn't BETTER.

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Cromwell, Connecticut
“Just OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

This place is hit or miss. It has seen better days....

Visited February 2012