“Excellent Greek Food” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Greek
Plymouth, Massachusetts
“Excellent Greek Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

This is off the Berlin Turnpike, not a giant billboard or sign to let you know it's there. My friend & I have been there more than a few times & always excellent. For a restaurant not highly billboarded, it was Packed!!!!! We had Everything! The Avgolemeno Soup was delicious! Made with orzo, I do use rice myself, but this was excellent! We had yiya's domathes, Excellent! My eggplant dish was delicious, and my friends mousaka was great! Yum!! Our wait person was Greek & very personable! Love this so much! Yum, yum, yum!!

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Pennsylvania
“have wanted to try this Greek food restaurant for awhile, but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

...was disappointed. we had the chicken santorini (red sauce) and shrimp spanaki (?) (white cream sauce) were both bland tasting. the shrimp dish had very lttle spinach, 6 shrimps (tasted fresh) and too much pasta and sauce which was not very flavorful and more milky than creamy. the service was very good though, friendly, helpful in explaining some of the Greek words for us. restaurant is non-descript but clean. we shared a dessert which was good - galaktoburiko which was a vanilla custard topped with phyllo dough. i've heard they have good pizza so we're thinking of going back to try it. maybe they were having an off day? (online menu doesn't match exactly to the menu at the restaurant.)

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Connecticut
“I can't figure why to go here...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I'll try to be balanced...it's not awful...some things are actually very nice...it's certainly an extensive Greek menu plus pizza and grinders...and if this is your favorite go-to Friday night place, good for you. It does seem to be doing ok whenever I'm there. I wish I liked it better, for some reason....the people seem nice and earnest. I presume it's a family place and I hope they do well competing against the homogenous chains. I admit I'm no expert at Greek food, and if some Greek Grandma can tell me the food here reminds her of the old country, I'll believe her....

But.....if you do find this place (it's easy to miss on the Berlin T-Pike)....the first floor of a non-descript house stuck between businesses), you certainly don't go here for the atmosphere. The small, spartan L-shaped small dining room has about 12 tables with the open-air kitchen/take-out counter at the point of the L. There are also outdoor tables behind a tall wall but there's the sounds of the nearby Berlin T-Pike. In fact, I have never eaten here...I've done takeout five times, but even saving the price of liquor and tip, I can't find a reason to keep trying Cavos.

You also don't go here for the price. It ain't cheap. Most apps are 7 or 8....platters are upper teens to low 20s. A couple are high 20s.

As for apps we've tried...the Dolmades (stuffed grape leaves) are great. But at $8 it's a buck a thing. The Hommus is very flavorful, but $7 for a small styrofoam cup? The fried zucchini?...skip it. Lightly fried, very mushy slices.

As for dinners, the gyro is OK but Tapa's in Elmwood is better (and blows Cavos away in atmosphere). The gyro dinner platter, however, is a waste. The tasty spiced meat is served plain with a few triangles of bread and a cup of sauce, and rice. It's not a gyro...no tomato or onion. The lamb souvlaki was two skewers of dried meat chunks, and rice. On the other hand, the stuffed eggplant spanaki is very tasty....but the pizza is quite pedestrian.

As for desserts...the baklava is outstanding...and the yogurt/honey is very nice.

I just can't see continuing to try to find something on the menu that's worth it. Again, feel free to tell me I'm wrong but I don't get it.

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Prospect, Connecticut
“Excellent Greek food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

Some of the best Greek food I've had in a while. Great selection of appetizers, main dishes and Greek specialties. Try the lemon chicken soup. Unbelievable! The gyro plate was excellent. Definitely will be back to sample the remainder of the menu.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Connecticut
“Best kept secret in the area, will be back, many times”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

Dining on a budget is no problem here. Nothing was expensive. Appetizers are enormous, and almost a meal in themselves.

I went here twice in the past month with my dining mate. Total of four meals, four appetizers, everything was great. I had no idea what a good Dolmade tasted like; now I know. Broiled scrod santorini was excellent. Veal special and scallop special, although I can't remember the exact name, was excellent.

Excellent service, reasonable prices, great food... five stars and I hope your experience here is as good as mine.

• Visited April 2012