“Old World & Charming” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
New York City, New York
“Old World & Charming”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Located on Lake Waramaug with a beautiful view from the outside terrace, the menu features German specialties, deliciuos veal and beef dishes and the best crispy potato pancake ever.
We have dined here many times, outside when the weather permits, on warm summer nights and especallty in the fall whan the beautiful leaf colors are reflected in the lake - very romantic.
Very delicious .......

• Visited July 2013

ex pat in Ct
“Austrian-Swiss cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I must admit I have a personal bias for this restaurant and inn having come here for special occasions for over 33 years. However the food and setting never fail to please. The food is Austrian/Swiss and the veal dishes are exceptional and on a par with any comparable Swiss or Austrian equivalent. In fine weather you will be seated on a terrace, underneath a chestnut tree and overlooking Lake Waramaug. The environment is friendly and relaxed. Other than the Wiener Schnitzel which is as on a par with the original (and better than the tourist Viennese version) I can also recommend the crabcakes, venison, filet porc calvados and escargots (for garlic lovers). A wonderful place for a special occasion or weekend in the country!

Stamford, Connecticut
“Beautiful lakeside dining and excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Just spent the day in New Preston and started with lunch at the Inn. Delectable shrimp on a salad with fresh mango and local tomatoes. Could have sat on the patio for hours...but went kayaking at state park concessions down the road, swimming and returned for wine tasting (wine was just ok...but the tasting was so much fun and so reasonable ($10 pp with a wine glass). beautiful setting with what appears to be happy sheep and donkeys next to vineyard. Went back to bar and enoyed the pub atmosphere...restaurant so crowded could not get a table ...a testament to their amazing food and service !

CT
“Does remind me of Austria”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I recently dined here for the second time. I have lived in Austria and it is difficult to find good German food in Connecticut. The Hopkins Inn does a good job of German food. The menu is quite large and mostly authentic. My only criticism of the menu is that I didn't get a lemon with my weissbier but that's not horrible.
We had reservations on Labor Day weekend but did have to wait and find someone to acknowledge our reservation. It was also somewhat confusing just who our server was. There were at least 3 different people who helped us. The server who mostly helped us was Ashley and she was great. That said, I would not say the service is bad.
I had the sauerbraten, which was good but not the best, however that is only because my mother is German and of course hers is the best. The red cabbage, Spaetzle and roesti were incredible. They got the roesti just right-crispy on the outside and moist on the inside. Many restaurants don't do that. The others in my party had pork, scallops and a mixed seafood plate and they all cleaned their plates. Dessert was wonderful- crepes with Toblerone chocolate.
The view and " biergarten" like outdoor patio really did remind me of Europe and I have lived there. It is somewhat pricey but not out of line for LItchfield County. The location is also great, right across the street from the Hopkins Vineyard so you can easily visit it too. I live in Central CT so can come here in an hour anytime but I do think if you are from elsewhere you would enjoy it here.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dover Plains, New York
“Scenic view with excellent food & service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Nice drive there & around Lake Waramaug. We ordered Veal their specialty ; I had Weiner Schnitzel & my husband Jaeger Schnitzel which were prepared the Austrian way & were delicious! The Austrian crepe dessert was also excellent. Would recommend for special occasions

• Visited August 2013