“Home Sushi” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese
New Milford, Connecticut
“Home Sushi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

I love Yokohama and for years all I would eat there was the shrimp tempora (which is excellent). Then one day my family ordered the colby beef rolls (a special that day) and everytime I go there I try something new, including raw fish rolls. If you are there with a date or just a friend i reccomend the Love Boat, you may not be able to find it on the menu but order it. The sushi comes out on a boat and there is a little of everything you could possibly want. Prepare to have at least 100$ on you plus something for a tip. The people who run and own the resturant are very kind and the service is exceptional.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

New York City, New York
“Meet Chef Kevin and His Spectacular, Lit Up Sashimi!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

For many years, I have been a customer of the many incarnations of Japanese restaurants in this location. Frankly, I miss Vicki who was the owner of the second; she was always interested in learning a nuance of the English language and I was always appreciative of her help with Chinese characters. Be that as it may, present owners Cindy and her husband Nicky are lovely people who serve absolutely delicious food, always fresh and always a beautiful sight to behold! On a recent visit, my friend's Sashimi Deluxe was prepared - or I might say, assembled - by Chef Kevin who is a master at creating dishes that are not only delicious to eat but delicious to look at. Using battery operated ice cubes and other things that glow, this night's masterpiece was about 18 inches tall and resembled a castle, replete with a moat and palace guards made out of fish. What a sight! Nicky makes fantastic shapes, too, out of radishes and other edibles. I feel guilty eating some of these because they really should be preserved and placed on the mantle at home. While I love these touches, please don't misunderstand. They are not gimmicks that detract in any way from the dining experience.

Sit at the sushi bar and your meal always starts off with a complimentary small dish of something that Kevin or Nicky already have in front of them. Like in Japan, watching the food prep is a spectacle unto itself and always enjoyable. I especially like watching the peeling of a very fine, continuous 6 inch strip of cucumber. This takes a lot of skill and practice, practice, practice.

My Wife has no interest whatsoever in sushi but somehow always finds something to eat and she always likes it although the chef is not very accommodating about making changes and there is clearly a language problem with the waitresses if you veer off course. For example, if you don't want onions in a dish, it's best to ask Nicky to confirm your order otherwise you might be disappointed.

Lighting is comfortably dim and people who sit at the sushi bar are usually respectful of the Japanese dining experience that is a lot about refinement and subtlety. Rarely have there been any screaming kids running around.

In sum, the sushi here is delicious and equal to if not better than most I have tried in the City. Hatsuhana it's not but, hey, the price is right and you're in New Milford, right?

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
West Des Moines, Iowa
“The Best Sushi in the area !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

I visit here at least 2x per month, and I am never disappointed. The service is outstanding ! The display of the sushi rivals the best sushi places in NYC. My favorite is the sweet shrimp which are accompied with the shrimp heads deep fried on the side. The appetizers are very creative and ever changing with available fresh ingrediates.

It is very simple, if you want great sushi and Japanise cusine north of Danbury, GO HERE ! You will not be disappointed

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sherman, Connecticut
“My Favorite Local Sushi Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

My family and I love this place and visit it at least once every time I come home. They have lots of creative sushi rolls and everything is presented well. I haven't ever been disappointed in their food. When I want authentic sushi like you'd find in Japan, I go to the city (Sushi Yasuda), but for a local restaurant this place is fantastic. The fish is always fresh, the flavors are spot on, they always accommodate special requests if possible, and the food comes reasonably quick. This is my favorite restaurant in New Milford.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New Milford, Connecticut
“Fantasticly Fresh and Whimsically Presented Sushi in New Milford-YUM”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

The food fantastic! The presentation- gorgeous! -never the same at the whim of the chef and always beautiful, makes one momentarily consider not eating the dish.

I give the food five stars but have take a star away for a couple of drawbacks, none worthy of passing this place over though. Location: Shopping Mall in Lore's Plaza is next to the Salvation Army, looks shabby from the outside. Much cozier on the inside but could use a facelift. Staff a bit difficult to understand, but they speak English better than I'll ever speak Japanese..when the specials are read .... say "YES" to something I have yet to be disappointed. Speaking of the staff, they will always recognize you and treat you very very well. Eating alone...you can sit right at the sushi bar where the food is prepared. I just love this place.

• Visited October 2011