“Godd service and food” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 124 Restaurants in New London
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Wine Bar
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Gaspar's is a small cozy restaurant on New London's Bank street. Serving high quality food at fair prices for lunch and dinner, join us for our sunday Brunch.At Gaspar's, we serve only the best meats, whether you're looking for a NY strip or a suculant Ribeye it's always USDA "Prime." Each one of our steaks has been hand picked to be the best. If you're looking for fresh seafood, you've found the right place. Being so close to the water has more than one advatage, among these are the fresh locally caught seafood, like our Stonington Sea Scallops. We support the "Farm to Table" movement not only in vegetables but also the seafood we offer. We have a wide selection of both beer and wine. Our top shelf liquor selection is second to none. We have 24 premium Tequilas on deck, our Scotch selection represents the regions of Scotland in 3 different ages, and Vodka drinkers we have what you're looking for. Come taste our signature drinks, then let our chefs take your tastebuds to a new level.
Niantic
“Godd service and food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Gaspar's is a generally good / excellent in all areas including service and food. I have eaten here 4 times. All varied slightly, but I never left feeling like I didn't get my $'s worth. Their Lobster Ravioli were a few too few. The grilled chicken sandwich is good, buy mine was a little dry. The salads are good and large. The BEST things I have ever had here are there specials. One was a BLT with a fried egg on top. Simply Heaven!. The Tomato Mozzarella and Polentas Caprese was out of this world. If they had those two items on their menu I would go back 3x as much.

Only grudge. Their soup. A bowl of soup, I don't care if it's lobster bisque, is not worth $12.00! And the cup for $6.00? Retarded high price.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Stratford, CT
“Mixed results - Bad Dining Experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

On a Sunday afternoon, early evening, we stopped at this restaurant while traveling thru New London. We were a party of three, my wife, my college age grandson and myself. My wife had found the restaurant by looking on line. The restaurant seemed to have good reviews and my wife was especially intrigued by one item on the menu, a beet salad. Since we were early, only two other tables were occupied.
We should have been forwarned. There was only one waitress on duty. While she was pleasant, she did not make a good first impression. We had to wait quite a while to get drinks and place our orders. She had to look up the soup of the day. Most importantly, they were out of beets. No beet salad.
Once the food started coming, we were pleased with the appetizer and salads, definitely prepared with good ingredients and care.
Once the entree's were served it really fell apart. My wife had ordered a steak that was described on the menu as served with a balsamic sauce. My grandson ordered the same dish.
The server crossed the plates, my grandson got the medium that my wife had ordered, my wife got the medium rare that my grandson had ordered. While there may have been balsamic sauce/vinegar on the steak, they were so heavily peppered that they were inedible. I enjoy strongly flavored food, my wife's steak was uncomfortable to eat. The only flavor that came thru and lasted was a burning taste of too much pepper. We had to chase down the waitress to complain. She brought a menu to order a replacement and then disappeared for 15 minutes.
By then, my wife had lost her appetite and just wanted to leave. But first we asked to speak to the manager. We were told there was no manager. Some of the disappointment that I experienced came from the contrast between several of the dishes that we enjoyed but menu items out of stock, improperly over peppered and described menu items and lousy service are what we remember about Gaspar's.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Norwich, Connecticut, United States
“Pleasant surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

My wife and I went here for our 20th anniversary. The menu had so many great choices. Sea scallops ceviche appetizer was excellent. We both had the fish special and were not disappointed. The bartender made some great drinks as well. Give them a shot- we are glad we did

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
, Owner at Gaspar's New American Cuisine, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Mark M,

I want to extend my thanks to you for coming in with your wife to celebrate 20 years of marriage with us. We greatly appreciate it, glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. Thank you again, and we look forward to seeing you soon!

Chris
NIANTIC
“Very Nice!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Have been wanting to try Gaspar's since the current owners took over - sorry we waited so long! Took a chance with no reservations on Friday nite, and were fortunate to get a table for two. Shared the Scallop Ceviche for an appetizer - sliced scallops marinated in lime juice, tequila and cilantro were delicious! I had the Mediterranean Salmon. The salmon was absolutely perfectly cooked, neither too rare nor too well-done, and served over a flavorful orzo with greens, tomatoes, kalamatas and feta. My husband had one of the evening specials, a seafood "chowder" that was reminiscent of cioppino or bouillabaisse: lobster, scallops, shrimp, fish in a flavorful tomato broth with maybe a touch of saffron. He thoroughly enjoyed every last bite! They have a nice assortment of wines by the glass as well as by the bottle, and the bartender makes a tasty "Pom-tini" - their take on a classic French martini. No room for dessert - maybe next time - and their will definitely be a next time! We noted that Gaspar's also serves lunch and has a Sunday Brunch - hmmm, even more reasons to go back!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
, Owner at Gaspar's New American Cuisine, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
SmartSister,

Thank you very much for coming in and giving us a try. I am soooo happy that you and your husband had a great time dining with us! I look forward to having the two of you again. Thank you so much for the very kind words, it let’s us know that we are providing the excellent product we strive to provide all of our guest. Thank You again.

Chris
Boston, Massachusetts
“Unexpected and delightful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

From the warm greeting, their homemade bread and olive oil, the exceptional soup du jour ( an herbed butternut squash and apple) a perfectly seasoned lime scallop ceviche, to the outstanding rack of lamb, everything was ideal! Top it off with great service. What a find. Worth leaving Stonington and driving to New London. NYC/Boston quality food at a great price. I am so glad we found this place on our trip.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
, Owner at Gaspar's New American Cuisine, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
C C, Hearing your kind words is what keeps striving to be the best. At Gaspar’s we love to hear from our guests, the feed back we receive helps us to keep our standards very high. I hope you had fun the next day touring Long Island’s vineyards. Next time you are in the area, please stop in and say Hello! Thank You again, I hope to see you soon!