“We'll be back again, and again...” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 123 restaurants in New London
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Wine Bar
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Gaspar's is a small cozy restaurant on New London's Bank street. Serving high quality food at fair prices for lunch and dinner, join us for our sunday Brunch.At Gaspar's, we serve only the best meats, whether you're looking for a NY strip or a suculant Ribeye it's always USDA "Prime." Each one of our steaks has been hand picked to be the best. If you're looking for fresh seafood, you've found the right place. Being so close to the water has more than one advatage, among these are the fresh locally caught seafood, like our Stonington Sea Scallops. We support the "Farm to Table" movement not only in vegetables but also the seafood we offer. We have a wide selection of both beer and wine. Our top shelf liquor selection is second to none. We have 24 premium Tequilas on deck, our Scotch selection represents the regions of Scotland in 3 different ages, and Vodka drinkers we have what you're looking for. Come taste our signature drinks, then let our chefs take your tastebuds to a new level.
“We'll be back again, and again...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

Our first time at Gaspar's even though we live nearby. Scallops that Gordon Ramsey would praise with a most delicious risotto . Spouse had a wonderful weinerschnitzel. Great ambiance and service. We highly recommend it.

84% Recommend
Connecticut
“Never Disappointed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

OK! I'm hooked! I guess this is my eighth or tenth time at Gaspar's and for good reason - it is unequivocally the best restaurant in the region! Believe me, I've tried most of them in that I eat out about three to four nights a week. I've tried Mystic, Stonington, Lyme, East Lyme and of course New London and as far as I can tell Gaspar's is significantly better than anything else that is out there.

The new Autumn menu is out now and I began working my way through it with an appetizer of Smoked Salmon with apple walnut guacamole , green tobiko cavier, crab meat, truffle oil and a dash of wasabi - UNBELIEVABLE! Every mouthful was an experience. How the hell does he put this combination together? What wild dreams must this Gaspar have to come up with these combinations? For my main course I had the honey roasted duck with an amaretto expresso sauce with wild rice. WOW! Another unbelievable dish. This is the kind of place where you chew slowly, enjoy every mouthful, realize that this is what great cooking is all about.

My only worry now is that the word is out about this place and I don't want to come and start waiting in line - so, I guess I eat my way through the rest of the Autumn menu before the lines get too long. Bon Appettito!

Gales Ferry, Connecticut
“Absolutely delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

First time visit tonight and it was absolutely delicious! Had the Wiener schnitzel. Couldn't get a better tasting schnitzel if I was in a gasthaus in Germany! I was torn between that and the NY strip. I guess that will have to be on my next visit. Prices were very reasonable, too. I don't think there's a set closing time. Website says 5 until close Wednesday thru Monday. Just wish they were open for lunch!! (Hint, hint). One last thing, I would rate the cost between $$ and $$$ depending on what you order, but it's worth every bite and the schnitzel was pretty darn large, tender with a capital T, and I have enough left for lunch tomorrow.

Waterford, Connecticut
“Ecellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

In early September 2012 I made plans to dine at the new Gaspars New American Cusine in New London, CT. I didn't consider it an exciting prospect after many changes, in the past.

Surprisingly though, the menu and specials looked intriguing, then again I had been ambushed by florid prose.

To be honest, I don't recall every detail of the meal, but I clearly remember my first taste sensation. It was a dish of grilled jumbo shrimp set in a shallow pool of shrimp stock, yet the dish itself was infused with a flavor that was new to me... Kaffir lime. These bitter aromatic leaves defined and bolstered the sweetish broth- in the same way oak tanning frames a fine Bordeaux.

Another startling creation was the chilean sea bass in a lobster minestrone.

At the conclusion of this extraordinary meal I asked our server, Carlo, for the name of the chef... Gaspar , never heard of him!

I may not have known his name, but i sure knew this was cooking no one has measured up to in Connecticut!

• Visited September 2012
Florida
“This is a destination restaurant..it's worth driving to New London for”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We were in New London for an engineering conference when we decided to eat at Gaspar's charming restaurant in New London. We had no idea that we would have one of our more delicious and memorable meals ever. Gaspar's Soup of the Atlantic is a delectable soup with a variety of fish and fresh vegetables in a butter broth; large chunks of fish and vegetables that still have "bite". Luckily we decided to split the soup because the portion was so large we would not have been able to sample the entire menu, but by sharing we were able to eat every course.. which was pure delight. The salad with Asian pears prosciutto, organic greens, creamy feta, and walnut vinaigrette was dressed with a wonderful dressing, so fresh and light it inspired me to make elevating my salad dressings a priority. We followed the salad with honey roasted duck in amaretto espresso sauce and a key lime cheesecake.
Gaspar makes food that "engages the five senses". We had the pleasure of meeting him personally and learned that he began his training in Vienna and his cooking journey included opening 5 restaurants in Dallas one of which was judged one of the 100 best restaurants in the US. My husband's comment sums it up, "you can't cook like this unless you love cooking."