“Definitely 'motel' status....not 'hotel'.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Red Roof Inn Mystic - New London

Save Saved
You added Red Roof Inn Mystic - New London to your Saves list
Red Roof Inn Mystic - New London
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   707 Colman Street, I-95 at Frontage Road, Exit 82-A/83, New London, CT 06320-2605   |
Ranked #1 of 5 hotels in New London
Baltimore, MD
“Definitely 'motel' status....not 'hotel'.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the "newly renovated" Red Rood Inn for our friends' wedding for 3 nights (Room 147). Upon booking the reservation, we requested a king, non-smoking room. Upon arrival, we received a double room. It really wasn't that big of a deal, but when we asked if we could switch to an available king room, the front desk gave me a key to look at a room on the first floor. When I walked in, the smell of cigarettes was so strong that there was no way we could have stayed in that room. As a result, we opted to stay in the room we were initially given.

As far as the room itself, it was somewhat clean - although there was a faint odor of cigarettes in the room (and this is supposed to be a non-smoking hotel). My husband and I refused to walk barefoot on the carpet. Although the hotel's website claims this location is a "Redesigned Redidcated Location", don't be fooled. It still has the look and feel of a motel instead of a hotel. All hotel rooms open to the outside. The drain in our bathtub wasn't working properly, so we couldn't take a shower without water accumulating in the bottom of the tub. There is no workout facility in the hotel, and you have to pay for Wi-Fi although other hotels in the area have it available for free. The good side is that the staff was indeed friendly and helpful. Despite that, though, we would never stay here again.

• Disliked — Room cleanliness, lack of amenities
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

151 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2008

My husband and I stayed here 1 night in room 127 - bottom, corner room. We were up visiting family for the weekend.

The hotel pictures are accurate and I'll post my own in a couple of days. The hotel website says it was recently renovated and everything looks to be in good shape.

Bed: King Size bed, firm but with a soft cushion on top. Actual king bed, not two beds pushed together.

Room: The room itself had a king bed, microwave, small fridge, tv, dresser, small hanging area (6 hangers), luggage rack, desk with office chair. Sink and mirror are separate from toilet/shower.

Bathroom - small but clean and in good shape. Tub, shower and toilet. Soap and shampoo only. Fan that goes on when you turn the light on can be a bit noisy but there is also a nightlght in there which gives just enough light if you are getting up in the middle of the night while others are sleeping.

Sink - plastic cups, ice bucket, sink and mirror are in main part of the room so one person can get ready while the other showers. No hairdryer so bring your own.

Clean - everything was clean.

TV - cable tv

Internet - wireless is available in the rooms but I did not use it. There may be a fee for it. There is also internet access via the tv for email and web browsing for a fee. My experience with this feature in other hotels is not good though.

Pets - they do allow one pet per room but be sure to let them know when booking.

This is an Inn - not a hotel. The doors to the room open on the outside - not a hotel corridor.

Staff: Check In and Check Out were fast.

Noise - we had no issue with noise, either traffic or from other hotel suites/guests

Nearby - right by the hotel is a gas station and Chinese Food Restaurant. Nearby there are a couple of malls for shopping and more restaurants (Chuck E Cheese, Outback Steakhouse, Olive Garden etc).

The price rate for hotels in this area is not cheap. My husband has family here and we always look for economical accomodation since we are there only to sleep after coming back from visiting. With casinos in the area (Mohegan and Foxwoods) the prices have really gone up in recent years. We paid $100/night for a Saturday night. At that price point for this area the hotel was fine and we would stay here again.

Stayed May 2008
Nashua, New Hampshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2008

It's was a holiday weekend and was the only hotel within a close distance to Foxwoods Casino that had rooms available. It was very cheap, about $85. The room was okay, though when we arrived they put us in a non-smoking room but told us it was okay to smoke in it. (strange??!) We only used it to get a few hours of shut eye and though the bed was fine, the main office was pretty far from most of the hotels rooms. If you've seen it, imagine the movie Vacancy. Not the inside of the room, just the location of the rooms and amount of light outside. We awoke to blaring car music (the walls are not that thick) and people scoping out our new car. Not exactly what one likes to wake up to on their weekend away. Upon check out they were very nice, but seemed understaffed. As they were in such a hurry, they gave us the wrong paperwork and it actually had someone else's info on it. We brought it back into the office and they were fine with taking it back and printed us the one that was really ours. I'm not sure I'd stay there again...

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Didn't feel safe
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Long Island, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2007

I really don't like to give a bad review, but I really didn't enjoy my stay. A friend of mines friend was getting married at the Lighthouse Inn in New London, CT. My friend is handicapped. Well we didn't get a handicap room. We stated that she needs a handicap room. We got handicap parking. So, it was difficult for her to get around. They didn't have any room tissues. The manager gave us packets of tissues. The bathtub was clogged. Towels were in horrible condition. The ice machine was far from our room. Sheets and blankets were stiff and scratchy. I am not a high maintenance person, but I have stayed in better inns. My favorite is the Residence Inns. I wanted to stay there but it was too far from the wedding/reception site. My friend wanted to be near the event site. But I don't recommend this place to anyone. Sorry. I don't mean to be mean, I am just stating my feelings and experience. It was not worth $110 a night.

• Liked — TV and its channels
  • Disliked — Everything except for the television.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
Hamilton, Bermuda
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2007

I was taking my wife to the casinos for a suprise and could not get a room at either Foxwoods or Mohegan Sun. Red Roof is my favorite value motel so this was an obvious choice. To a degree, if you have stayed in one, you have stayed in all. This location was close to the casinos (15 minutes), quiet and in good condition. The staff were friendly and helpful. They directed us to an all-night service station that would have medicines as my wife was feeling a little sick. This helped save our vacation. The room was clean and everything worked and the redecoration effort shows. We stayed only one night and I would stay longer next time to explore New London and the surrounding area. I used my free night coupon that I earned by staying at RRI for 10 nights. Unfortunately, I lost it what I had saved (and more) at the casino!

• Liked — Red Roof value for money and location near Casinos
  • Disliked — Nothing to complain about!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2007

We stayed for 2 nights in early June 2007. At $88 a night, the price was right and the room was just fine - clean and mostly quiet. Just be prepared that it's a Red Roof Inn, not a Four Seasons. We brought our dog and the staff was very friendly.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Red Roof Inn Mystic - New London? Share your experiences!