“This trip goes on the top off your bucket list!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 activities in New London
Type: Tours
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Mystic Whaler Cruises offers day sails, lobster dinner cruises, 3 day and 5 day overnight sailing vacations and private charters on the waters of Southern New England in the summer and the Chesapeake Bay in the fall. Hosting groups as large as 65 during the day and more intimate groups of up to 34 overnight, Mystic Whaler Cruises offers you a piece of that old-world charm of tall ship sailing, with modern comforts and fabulous meals.
New London, Connecticut
“This trip goes on the top off your bucket list!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

I just came from the Big Apple Cruise and my first trip on the Mystic Whaler. I expected an enjoyable, relaxing time. It turned out to be so much more than that! You receive a warm welcome and are treated as favorite guests the entire time you sail with Captain John, Pat, and the crew. We became a family over the 3 days as we shared in the delicious meals, beautiful views, and the magic of being under sail on a tall ship. There was time to read, nap, learn about your fellow passengers, or take in the wealth of knowledge Captain John has on the history of the area you are in. I simply can't recommend it enough! I didn't want to get off the boat!

New England
5 attraction reviews
“Always wonderful, always different”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Cap'n John, Pat and this year's especially diverse, able and musically-gifted crew guided us to yet another wonderful "Big Apple Cruise" over the second weekend of September. The brilliant early fall weather was more than reflected in the Rhode Island-style clam chowdah of which the Whaler is justifiably proud, the superb lobstah dinner (grilled chicken for the land lubbers), stuffed French toast and - fanfare of thanks to JT - a half-bushel of clams just plucked from Oyster Bay, among the many other satisfying courses.

It was gratifying to reconnect with passengers met on past voyages as well as new Whalers, one of whom was heard to exclaim, "I never thought it would be this wonderful!"

Huzzah!!

ny
“Ideal way to spend 3 days”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

Let me start by saying I am not a sailing person but my wife really wanted to go on the three day labor day sail. We went with our three kids (11, 13 and 15).

I was extremely pleasantly surprised. Captain John is great. He exudes an aura of confidence that made it seem like this was no big deal. However, I am sure sailing a schooner of this size is no easy feat. While making sure everything went as it was supposed to, he told us about many of the historical events that occurred in the Block Island, Shelter Island, Gardner Island area. These were relayed in a way that even my kids would stop what they were doing and come over and listen. He also let anyone on the sail steer if they wanted to. My kids (and wife) loved that. We were also able to help raise and lower the sails. Another highlight was climbing to the top of the forward sail (things look really small from up there). However, most of all, this trip was a chance to relax and lay on deck while under sail. Very peaceful.

The moorings were perfect. We slept anchored at Block Island and moored at Shelter Island. The time ashore in these areas was just right. Pat's cooking was excellent from various soups, salads, vegetable sides, quiches and desserts, there was nothing average about it. When my girls did not like the kebabs (which were great), Pat found some chicken breast for them. John's grilling was also top flight as he prepared salmon filets, kebabs, beer infused hotdogs and burgers. Finally, the rest of the crew outdid themselves. They were extremely friendly and were extremely patient with our kids who were the only teenagers on the trip. They even participated in our crazy family card games in the evenings.

Cabins were small but more than adequate. They were clean and very well turned out. There were sinks in the cabins. Private toilets and private showers were located in each sleeping area (three of them).

The other passengers were an interesting mix of people from Boston to New York. All down the earth and great to talk to. It was truly a pleasure being on this trip and it is one we would definitely do again.

Rochester, New York
“Wonderful fun.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

Can't wait until I can book again. The Captain, Crew do everything to make the cruise enjoyable. Pat's food is delicious and she works around special diets. You can't go hungry here.

Visited August 2011
Mystic CT
“I'd sail with them forever if I could.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

I took the 5-day sail, to Cuttyhunk, Martha's Vineyard, Block Island. We had fair seas and rough, a near rescue at sea, serenity and adventure, and great good company. The captain and crew are expert and generous with their knowledge; you can help sail this gorgeous schooner or sit back and relax, as you like. The food is terrific; I'd love to see their cookbook in print. The passengers were diverse, families and couples and singles from all over, and there was always good company when company was the thing, solitude and peace when I wanted. Given no hotel fees and no need for restaurants, this is the best vacation for the money I've ever encountered. If you want to clear your mind under billowing canvas, wind over water, this is the best.

Visited August 2011