“So far, I've not been made to feel welcome.” 2 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   400 Sargent Drive, New Haven, CT 06511   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in New Haven
monterey bay
“So far, I've not been made to feel welcome.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2010

I am a solo woman traveling for business. I arrived around 10:30 am after flying a red-eye and driving from Boston to New Haven. I walked in and nicely asked the woman at the desk if I could possibly check in early. She immediately said no, we're full, we have had no check outs, and we have no rooms available. A room won't be available until about 3pm. I showed her my internet reservation form which says that check in time is 1300, and she said, well I'm sorry they haven't changed that on the internet, but there is our policy, and she pointed to a sign saying checkin was at 3pm. I said, but it says this on my form, can you at least honor having a room ready by 1pm? She said probably not and sent me away.
I sat in the lobby and made a phone call. About 15 minutes later, a MAN walked in and I heard him say, I know I'm early but is there any possibility of an early check in? She said oh yes, and expedited the process and handed him his key with a big smile. I went up to the desk right away, and she noticed me for the first time. She tried to tell me that only his room was ready and mine wasn't, and that's why he got his room. I, of course, argued this faulty logic and said, could you give me someone else's room who is not here and honor the fact that I am here? She pretended to hunt for a room, when there had been no problem when the fellow before had come in. Finally she gave me a room, curtly and crisply handed me the key and told me her name was Kelly.
I went up to my room. There was another clean room across the way with the door open as the maid had just finished. That room had a view of the water. My room across the hall has a view of the train yard.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Toms River, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

We had booked a room with 2 beds. When we got there, the place was dirty and shabby. And I messure that by the the standardt of the average hotel (Howard Johnson, Hampton Inn). We were given our room and when we got there it was already occupied. The first thing on my mind was: Someone could walk in on us too. The people werent in their room (thank god). On the second try the less than professional staff gave us a room with only one bed. I called the front desk, and they offered us a second room for free. However at this point we decided to stay somewhere else. They gave us a refund without much ado. (that was very nice)
As to the rooms, they looked nicer on the photos and were about equal to a youth hostile.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Minnesota USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2010

It was much easier than having to rent a car and paying parking fees. The shuttle was convenient. The hotel also had free wifi and breakfast. That said, you do get what you pay for. It was not luxurious, and it is a hotel that allows pets.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2010

Stayed here for a business meeting - single woman traveling alone. When I got to my room, the dead bolt would not lock, called front desk and he sent someone to cofirm the lock was broken. When I asked to switch rooms he said "isn't your husband here to protect you?" I switched to another room, and the same thing happened- the door would not fully lock! I could not believe the front desk gave me push back that the locks did nor work! He told me that one lock should have been enough for me to feel okay on my room!
Location and breakfast was great, bit without the free shuttle service, I would nor have stayed there, and will not stay there in the future.

• Stayed March 2010
Ocala, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

Just off I-95, very easy to find. Would stay there again. Rooms were clean and staff was very efficient, continental breakfast was good. Only negative was that there were 3 of us and we had a queen suite which is a queen bed and sofa sleeper. Linens should have been provided for the sofa sleeper, we should not have had to ask for them. Also if you know 3 people are in the party, you should provide towels for 3 and not 2. Overall, was a good stay and would recommend. The Greek Olive restaurant is a great place to eat and is connected to La Quinta. Also Brazis italian restaurant is within walking distance.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

We booked the hotel for only 1 night when traveling trough CT. The room was quite large and clean. The receptionist was friendly.
A good hotel for a stop-over because its close to the Interstate.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Alexandria, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2010

The Management is surly, the customer service is almost non existent, the shuttle service leaves you stranded, the main telephone number goes unanswered, and the bright side breakfast is a continental one at best. Simply put, this hotel is not a bargain by any stretch of the imagination. Spend more and have a pleasant stay elsewhere. The only positive thing I can say is that the free Wi-Fi was a plus and worked well.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites New Haven? Share your experiences!