“Dirty and scary” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in New Haven
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Dirty and scary”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Everything about this hotel was wrong. I'm pretty sure I saw a drug deal go down in the parking lot. Common areas and our room were dirty, the ceiling was cracked and had peeling paint, bathroom was dirty, shower curtain didn't even fit. As we were arriving other "guests" were showing up carrying large liquor bottles. If I was traveling alone I would never have stayed here, even with 2 other companions it was creepy and we couldn't wait to get out of there the next morning. Does LaQuinta not require there franchise owners to meet any standards?

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

After traveling from Greenville North Carolina to New Haven Connecticut, and arriving at the LaQuinta we were not impressed!! A bus load of tired and weary travelers were greeted by one employee checking in guest. I must admit she was courteous and professional and moved the line along as quickly as one person could. This LaQuinta is below standard in cleanliness! The swimming pool had several children playing, but when i looked closer at the water, there was a cigarette butt floating at one end of the pool!! Many of us had to catch the hotel shuttle to Walmart to get some clean up supplies! Lets move on to the room. OMG! The floor had not been vacuumed (as well as the hallways), one towel and washcloth, no trash cans, a hairy bathtub lined with mildew!!! Questionable bed linen!! Just too much to comment on!!!! After 95% of the bus complaining I am told we will be reimbursed for one night!
We are truly at the mercy of LAQUINTA , being we have an agenda scheduled trip. It's my hope that whomever is responsible will "TIGHTEN UP" on the cleanliness and efficiency at LAQUINTA or CLOSE DOWN ENTIRELY!! My only question, where's the HEALTH INSPECTORS?? This place certainley didn't get like this over night.

• Stayed August 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

If for some god forsaken reason my house looked like that bathroom did , no guest would be stepping foot in it let alone $100 price tag. If it wasn't 3am after a long drive we would have walked out.
Door had to be manhandled to be locked
No tissues
HUGE shower stain
Curtain rod busted in shower
Stained quilt
Bare minimum towels
Security had to get the door open
.......$100. Goddamnit

• Stayed August 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

The hotel is not in pristine condition, and there was a door between the room next to ours that allowed so much noise to get through that it sounded like the people were in our room. The carpet was in bad shape, the bathroom light lacked a cover and the motion detector didn't work. The bathroom wasn't ventilated well.

On a positive side, the hotel was safe and the staff was pleasant. I was just there on business and only spending one night, so I really didn't care about the condition so much. The noise from the room next door could have been a problem if I was any less tired, but I was so tired bombs could have gone off in the room and not woken me up.

The price was fairly reasonable, and it is very close to Union Station. That made it easy for me since I traveled up to New Haven on Amtrak. So, if you are traveling on a budget and aren't looking for anything fancy, it's a good place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
syracuse
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I preface this by stating the people who work at La Quinta, New Haven are very nice. Truly. The actual hotel, on the other hand, is not so nice. Our first room was overwhelmingly a "smoking" room. The three of us took two steps in, then backed out. The front desk people gave us another room. No cigarette smell. The bedroom area was clean, as were the beds. The bathroom had mold problems - mold along the caulk lines, corners of tub, and soap dish. Lots of mold. My college age children said it would be OK, they just wouldn't take showers....we left and were out several hours. When we returned I spoke with the front desk person. She switched us to another room, which turned out to be the first smoky one. Then she gave me keys to two other rooms to check out. The first of these was moldy, the second was fine. So there we stayed. We slept fine, the building was not noisy, and breakfast the next morning was adequate. The attendant worked hard to keep the breakfast area clean. We had dinner in the diner attached to the hotel, the Greek Olive. Again, the restaurant is a little shabby looking but the food/service/portions were great. So. The hotel needs a thorough facelift and serious cleaning of its carpets, walls, ceilings, upholstery, and bathrooms. On the plus side, the people are nice, they try to be accommodating but face a huge obstacle in the condition of the building. The hotel is easily accessible to the highway, and IKEA is next door. The Greek Olive is a decent place to eat and service/food are good. Wallace, at the front desk, was wonderful. I just don't think I would be willing to stay again in a place that is so desperately in need of a good scrubbing...

Room Tip: Inspect rooms before committing......
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

The walls, floor and sheets were dirty in the room, and their was no ventilation in the bathroom. The entire hall on the second floor smelled like mold and mildew. There was a raining leak on the first floor near the breakfast area. The hotel was not in good condition to accommodate customers properly.

Room Tip: I do not recommend this hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites New Haven? Share your experiences!