“Excellent rooms, location and staff.” 5 of 5 stars

New Haven Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   229 George St., New Haven, CT 06510   |
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in New Haven
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Excellent rooms, location and staff.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

This hotel is situated about as central as can be in New Haven, but still very easy to reach from the highway. The girl at reception was so very nice. I asked for a room with a nice view. She apologized and said that the rooms generally do not have good views because of the surrounding buildings. She pointed at a poster that showed a room with a nice view and said that was the only room with that view and that's why it was chosen for the picture. I told her no problem. You can imagine my surprise when we got to our room and had the exact view as the room on the poster. I thought that was so sweet of her.
The hotel is beautiful. It looks like it's just been renovated. For the price we payed, it was not expected. The room was huge and beautiful. Large bed, lounge area, large tv, large bathroom.
Parking in the garage across the street was very convenient as well.
On checkout the receptionist (a different one) was very friendly as well. In a genuine way.
From the hotel it's a short walk to the green. Lots of restaurants and bars nearby. A cinema next to the hotel.
We enjoyed our short stay here very much, and I'd say this was the best price/quality ratio on our trip to the US this year.

Room Tip: High and on the 'right' side from the entrance. We could see the city, the highways, that pr...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

This weekend was my second stay at the new haven hotel. Both stays were very pleasant experiences. When we arrived from out of town we were able to check in early; room was spacious and the bed was comfortable. Hotel was quiet at night. We were given a late check out when we asked for one with no extra cost or hassle. Parking is $23 for 24 hours in the hotel garage; we parked one block away at the temple street garage for $16. Wifi was free and worked without issue. Hotel is central to Yale and everything else in downtown new haven. I would definitely stay here again if traveling to this area in the future.

Springfield, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Stayed at the New Haven hotel this past weekend. Our stay was great, room was clean and centrally located. Staff was easy to work with and nice. No bar in hotel however and parking was an extra $20 well worth it in a garage that was very secure. Would stay again if I were to be back in New Haven.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Enfield, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Friendly staff greeting, comfortable clean room, secured garage parking at an additional expense and accommodating amenities for a one night stay.
One drawback that I had was, I went one on one with the in- room coffee machine in the morning and the coffee machine won and I lost. Went downstairs for coffee to go for myself and my wife and the coffee was pretty good. The hotel does offer a full breakfast buffet (eggs, bacon, sausage, home fires, fruit, juice, toast, muffins, etc for $12.00 and for fruit, juice, coffee and cereal for half the charge and it was very good. No complaints, enjoyed the brief stay and would stay again if in the New Haven area.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Great service, clean rooms, great rates...and a great breakfast buffet!!!!!! Will definitely stay next time we're in New Haven! Walking distance to some very good restaurants and easy access off 95. Very close to Yale which is a beautiful campus to explore!

Bexley, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Stayed for two nights at this hotel back in May. We had a very pleasant stay and the hotel exceeded our expectations. Hotel staff were very professional, friendly and accommodating, from the front desk folks, engineering and housekeeping.

Lobby was quite elegant and very inviting, several flat screen TVs and seating areas. Apparently, the managers hold meet and greet receptions every now and then in the lobby with refreshments, etc. It was a very nice, well appreciated gesture.

The room was spacious and included all the standard amenities, including flat screen TV, free wifi, fridge, coffee machine and quality toiletries. There is a pantry downstairs, microwave and vending machines. Business center is accessible 24/7 with free use of laser printer.

The immediate vicinity of this hotel is dotted with several nice restaurants and cafes as well as a movie theater that featured independent films.

All in all, a faultless stay. Kudos to NH Hotel staff and management!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

I booked two rooms at this hotel on hotels.com thinking I was reserving rooms at The Omni Hotel. I realized that I made the mistake when I called The Omni on the day of my stay to ask about early check in and they said I had no reservations there. Hotels.com informed me that I actually booked rooms at The New Haven. Upon arrival I was pleasantly surprised how nice the building was on the interior. Beautiful lobby and the front desk staff were quite friendly and professional. The only downside to our stay that I can think of was the $23 extra charge to park In the garage across the street. However, the garage was a locked secure garage and it's nice to have parking downtown. So it wasn't too bad after all. The room was very clean and well kept. The king size bed was comfortable and clean. Overall I really enjoyed the overnight stay and the price was decent for the quality.

Stayed July 2014

Been to New Haven Hotel? Share your experiences!