“Liked the New Haven Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

New Haven Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   229 George St., New Haven, CT 06510   |
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in New Haven
Mumbai
“Liked the New Haven Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2008

I recently visited Yale university. As I did not have a vehicle, I wanted to stay near the university. I selected the New Haven Hotel, because, it was also reasonably priced. Most of the internet sites through which I tried to book gave the following problems: (1) no guarantee of giving the room that I wanted (2) $25 fee, in case of cancellation. The internet site of the property offered only higher priced rooms. Finally, I called the property directly at 203-498-3100 and made a reservation for a $149+tax+no-breakfast room.

The room was pretty good. I have no complaints at all. The service also was very good. For example, it took quite a bit of time for me to figure out that to open the door of the room, I had to move the handle twice, after swiping the key. Before I knew this, I called up the front desk at least twice. On every occasion, someone showed up in front of my room within a couple of minutes. The hotel provided free wireless access to the internet at the room. If I am not mistaken, there are also some public PCs through which one may access the internet free of cost. I did not use this option, however, as I had a Macbook with me.

As mentioned earlier, one can walk and reach most places in Yale university in a short time. When I looked for walking directions in google maps, I always got a warning that there was no guarantee that there would be side walks. These fears turned out to be unfounded: like most university towns, there are excellent side walks on all roads. The maximum time I took to reach any place in the university was 20 minutes.

There are excellent eating options near this locality. For lunch, I wanted to go to a buffet place, as that would be the quickest and also value for money. I was planning to go to the India Palace Restaurant for a $10 lunch buffet. But on the way, I stumbled on Thai Pan Asian restaurant that offered lunch buffet at $7. This restaurant is only five minutes walking distance from the hotel. They had a good selection of vegetarian dishes. The number of dishes got reduced, as I did not eat eggs. I could eat two vegetable dishes with rice and then fruits. As I generally prefer a non-Indian, vegetarian, meal when I travel overseas, this turned out to be an excellent option, however. Being a bagel lover, I ate different types of bagels with cream cheese in one of the many Dunkin Donut joints (less than five minutes walking distance) and also at Brueggers (15 minutes walking distance). Of course, there are several other excellent eating options within ten minutes of walking distance, but I did not stay in New Haven long enough to explore them all.

This hotel is not far from the union station, the terminus for trains and also long distance buses. It took $8 only to reach the hotel from this station. I reached New Haven by a Peter Pan bus and left by Amtrak express.

I recommend the New Haven Hotel without any hesitation.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No breakfast included
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2008

Stayed here for business at Yale New Haven Hospital. It is really close and a quick two-block walk, which was great. There are places to eat along the way.

The hotel lobby is nice. The fitness room had three treadmills, an elliptical, a stepper, a bike and a huge weight machine. (Sorry - don't use them so have no idea if it's nice or not.)

My room is just OK. The bathroom is big, nice big countertop. But there's just a shower, no tub, and it is not big. It was fine for me as a small woman but anyone larger might be touching walls... ewww...

The room was very clean but clearly dated. The carpet is worn but just fine. The spread on the bed actually has holes in it in several places, though they're hard to see right away. The alarm clock made me laugh - it's as old as I am!

There is a serious lack of information in the room - maybe that was just my room. There was no usual folder with hotel and area information. If I hadn't read reviews online and asked about breakfast I'd have no idea they had it. (I didn't have breakfast, by the way, but was told it is $10.95 - I peeked into the room and it looked quite nice, just like the lobby.) I had to go to the lobby to ask where a food vending machine was and there's no TV channel list in the room. I just thought they were missing a real opportunity to market their hotel to me by not providing any information. Plus most hotels without room service provide some information on take-out options in the room.

The hotel seems loud to me - I could hear everyone coming and going and every door closing. Right now I'm listening to loud pounding music that I believe is coming from outside. I haven't heard anyone else inside their room, though, and hearing hallway traffic isn't that unusual.

Lighting is dim in the bathroom but very nice at the sink outside the bathroom (there is also a sink inside with a huge countertop space - the sink in the room has a very small counter space.) There is no overhead light in the room area, though there was one in the little entry hallway (I had a corner room). There are three lamps in the room. Two of them didn't work on my second night but did work the first night. Weird.

Bed is mostly comfortable - firm. There is a little couch - not terribly comfortable and it has a huge stain on it. TV is fine - small but definitely adequate from the bed or couch. Plenty of drawers and one side of the armoire is hanging closet space. Has an iron/board and coffee pot. Free wireless internet worked wonderfully! (Which is great if you've ever stayed in a place with poor reception that cuts in and out!)

Overall the New Haven Hotel is adequate. It's a little dated and my room felt a bit dirty due to stains/holes in bedspread but the price is very good compared to the Omni (which is very close) and I felt the room itself was actually clean. There are lots of places within walking distance to eat and a Walgreens just a block or two away.

• Liked — Convenience to Yale
  • Disliked — Lack of information and room service
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2008

I was here on a business trip.

Rooms: rooms were large and clean. They were fairly well furnished, though the furniture was a little dated. My bed, though not fancy or new, was firm and functional. The TV was a conventional tube and only 19 inches. The bathroom was very large but otherwise not memorable (not that that's a bad thing). Overall, the rooms were nice but could use some replacement furniture and electronics. What's there now has worn well, but it could still stand to be replaced. *** for rooms.

Hotel: the lobby is very nice as are other sitting areas in the hotel. I didn't spend a ton of time there, but what I saw was nice if a little on the older side. Say ***1/2 for lobbies and hallways.

Service: the hotel's service was excellent. Staff answered questions promptly and very politely. Also, when we needed a conference room spur-of-the-moment on Saturday night at 10 PM, they immediately took us to one and opened it. The staff was very accommodating. ****1/2 for service.

Location: location is good. You are next door to a movie theater and several restaurants. Katz's deli was particularly good for lunch, and Black Bear had pretty good appetizers for a sports bar. I didn't have a chance to visit too many of the restaurants, though.

Overall, like the headline says: great service, good hotel, decent rooms. If you're staying in downtown New Haven, the New Haven Hotel is a pretty good option.

• Liked — Staff, location
  • Disliked — Older furniture
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2008

Quiet room with king size bed and separate bathroom. I was staying on the 4th floor, near the fitness room, which was opened till 10pm. Although I expected differently, there wasn’t any noise nuisance at all! The hotel is at a very good location, close to Yale and the shopping areas. Only minus is that breakfast was not included. Room decorations are quite old fashioned, but that doesn’t bother me. All in all very good value for it’s price!

• Liked — Cleanliness, quality of the room, location
  • Disliked — breakfast which was not included in the price
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2008

I recently stayed at this gem hidden away in New Haven near the Yale campus and found it an absolute delight. The rooms were comfortable and clean, with an excellent decour about the room. The service was exceptional, and the breakfast buffet hit the spot with what i needed in the morning.

• Stayed September 2008
nyc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2008

I stayed here and had a great time in New Haven. It is very convenient and the staff was welcoming. The price is the best in town and thus not the luxury other reviews seemed to expect. I was pleasantly suprised with this hotel, given these reviews and the rate I paid. It is a bargain, and better than some other hotels I have been to in this city. I will return!

• Liked — LocationLocationLocation
  • Disliked — Street it is located on is unattractive
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Oakland, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2008

Arrived by train in New Haven from Boston with a couple of days to kill. Was a little turned off by the reviews I had read on tripadvisor.com.

I found the hotel pleasant. The room nice if spartan. Okay wireless, nothing special with regards to to TV or cable.

No complaints.

• Liked — Like the location and views from the room.
  • Disliked — not sure
  • Stayed June 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to New Haven Hotel? Share your experiences!