“Comfortable stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 12 hotels in New Haven
New York
“Comfortable stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

A very nice atmosphere, you feel very good and you have very close a good Restaurants and Store. Wonderful walks to the University and Cafés. The Service is very effective and polite. I had a great experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

241 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

They have big rooms, clean, good wifi, vendor machine in the floor, bar remain open until late, car parking is available ($18/day), helpful attendants. Expensive daily rate. Well conservated. Iron available. Expensive breakfast. Good location at YALE.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Brooklyn, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We arrived fairly late at night for an overnight stay. Parking is $18 a night and the lot is very narrow. Check-in was easy and the staff was pleasant. Our room looked like it had been renovated farily recently. Furnishings were unblemished and attractive. The room was clean but somewhat narrow so the bed was placed facing the window and not, as is typical, the dresser, desk, tv and armoir. The bathroom was standard except for the fact that the triangular ceramic soap holders were missing but the grout/glue which held them was still in place. About 20 minutes after we checked in, the phone rang. Since it was after 11pm I would ordinarily have been concerned but absolutely nobody outside of me and my spouse knew what hotel we were staying at. It was the front desk, as I had expected. I was told that my credit card hadn't gone through and needed to be swiped again. This was the fault of the person at the front desk, not mine, although, of course, it was an honest mistake. I had pre-paid the room so I guess it is possible that I could have skipped out without paying for the parking but I didn't appreciate the call since I was already in my pjs and in bed. Couldn't a note have been slipped under my door? I explained that I was not dressed and would take care of the matter in the morning. The next morning, after check-out, my husband wanted coffee. There is a Starbucks in the hotel but off to the side, behind a door, there is free coffee that is not readily noticeable the way the Starbucks is. I assume this is not an accident. All in all, I had no real complaints about the hotel. However, I got this hotel at a discounted rate, If I had paid the full rate of $149 plus tax and parking, I would have expected a larger room and a few more amenities like a free continental breakfast, free bottled water in the room, etc..

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I stayed here during the snow of February 2013. the hotel had unfortunately had a burst pipe flood to coincide with the 36" of snow outside. the staff coped well under extreme circumstances and were always polite and very helpful. the rooms are average, nothing luxurious, but fine for a business stay. a good location for Yale, a minutes walk to the centre of activities.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We stayed here for 1 night in July 2012.
The staff at the reception was very polite. We even got upgraded to a bigger room as our category wasnt available anymore.
Room was big clean and quiet.
New Haven itself isn't the most exciting city but you can explore the campus very well while staying at this hotel. We recieved a map of the inner city while checking in. The campus can be explored by foot. No busses or taxis needed.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Great staff, however as a typical Courtyard, very little amenities for its loyal elite members of Marriott Rewards, Even charge for a bottle of water. Is there little wonder why when given a choice the business traveler now chooses Hilton Garden Inn over Courtyards

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side, avoid street side
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here a few times as the location is convenient for my purposes. Yes New Haven has some seedy areas n the hotel is on the edge of the safe area. One block north up Whalley St is not a good area. However if you stick to the area towards Yale then it is quite safe. The rooms are not all equal when it comes to noise level. A room to the back is the quietest to avoid road noise. I was upgraded to a executive king which was big and comfortable. It was on the road side in a high floor n I didn't notice much noise.
My stay was during the time of the big snow storm in Feb. The hotel provided guests at no charge a simple breakfast and dinner while confined in the hotel. Unfortunately we had to evacuate our rooms at around 3am during the night of the storm as the alarm sounded. This apparently was due to one of the sprinklers flooding a second floor room due to misuse. I was given 5000 Marriott points for the inconvenience as well as given a rebate of $50 for my room on the night after the storm as all road were still closed. The hotel was giving a discount rate to all those guests couldn't get out n needed to stay another night. The staff did all they could to make our stay comfortable during this terrible blizzard. Many thanks to the staff at Courtyard Yale!

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Courtyard New Haven at Yale? Share your experiences!