“Rude! Don't waste your time here” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in New Haven
New York City, New York
“Rude! Don't waste your time here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Will never stay here again, I advice you don't waste your time. Front desk slow, no clue as to what they are doing. I checked in and not even 2 hours later some man enters my room and says this the room he paid for. He had the card key and everything!!! SO NOT SAFE. Speaking of safe the neighborhood isn't safe AT ALL can't even walk at night. I ask to speak to a manager and he simply put me on the back burner. Front Desk agents just gave me the run around and excuse after excuse. Quick to give money but not quick to give service. Payed 179$ a night to hear traffic all night I will NEVER stay here again EVER!

Room Tip: Find somewhere else to stay. Maybe New Haven Hotel or anywhere else
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed here with a friend when we went to New Haven to visit the Yale Art Museum. We found our room to be very quiet, comfortable, and attractively decorated. Shower and bath was appropriate to a city hotel. Check in staff was very efficient, helpful and friendly.
Parking was $20/night which seemed a bit much but it was convenient and the hotel location was also convenient to much of the city.

Overall I would say we received good value for our "senior" rate.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Cherry Hill, NJ USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Really like Courtyard properties but this isn't their best offering. The lobby was nice and relaxing and looks like it had been recently updated. Check-in staff was great though they seemed a bit overwhelmed. This is a VERY busy hotel. The room was enormous but the bathroom was tiny. The room looked like it had been decorated 30 years ago. The bed and bedding was far from the comfort I have enjoyed at other Courtyards. Finally, the parking spots ($18) were so narrow, it is almost impossible to exit your car without your door hitting the car next to you. Expect to leave with a door ding or two.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Huntington, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Check-in was fine. Then downhill. Website said there was coffee in lobby and there was not. Oh yes, if you want to pay for it, it is available at limited hours. The room was nice and clean. On the second day, we got only one washcloth and it looked very old and grey instead of bright white. When we were leaving there was a car blocking us in the parking lot. There is not enough parking in the lot. We waited half hour for the car to be moved. The front desk staff was not helpful and seemed annoyed at us.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

The interior of the hotel met my expectations for a Courtyard - clean, comfortable and moderately spacious rooms. Check-in was bit slow because it was busy, but the front desk clerk was friendly and pleasant. The hotel is easy to find, on the border of the shopping district where Yale bookstore is located on one side and "rugged" options on the other. I had no problems with noise innthe hotel or outside. The worst part of the stay was the parking. It was awkward, confusing, inconvenient and there was a charge for it. The fee should be free, especially considering how much of a hassle it is for guests. An otherwise perfect stay was marred by this irritating experience in the first minutes of my stay.

Room Tip: Expect to pay for parking and to navigate an oddly designed parking garage.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hawthorne, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I stayed here with a friend during a quick trip to New Haven. I didn't use most of the amenities at the hotel - I didn't use the shower or get any coffee or breakfast from the lobby. I left at 4am so the latter were not available at my departure. However the lobby of the hotel and the room were very nice, clean and modern. All staff were very pleasant, and they even gave my friend a toothbrush and toothpaste for free when she told them she had forgotten hers. My friend's parents stayed in a room on a different floor and reported an issue with the water where it was coming out of the tap brown, but the staff provided them with another room to shower in. The room was very nice, super quiet and the beds were comfortable. I only slept about 4 hours here before I had to go, but I was quite impressed. The parking garage is a little scary, as there is a narrow alley the width of one car for both people entering and exiting the garage. Plus parking was $20/night/car, which I always find ridiculous when you're already paying the hotel to stay there. Overall though I'd recommend this hotel to people visiting New Haven... I'd just suggest street parking.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Modiin, Israel
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I stayed at the courtyard booking 3 nights for work, I checked out after 2 nights.
Main problem were:
• Shower was outdated and squeaked.
• Bath amenities seemed used (the Shampoo BTL had most of the writing on it warn off as if it has been refilled)
• Heating did not work in the room, I had to sleep with a sweater. I turned the wall control to 73 but the unit did not go on. I told the front office and they said someone will take a look but it did not happen - this is one of the reasons I checked out an evening early. Did not want to catch a cold.
• The coffee station is great but had no milk.
• Parking – the walk from the parking spot I had to the hotel did not feel safe, I had to go up and down 2 ramps with cars coming at me and no were to go.

The location is great and the staff seem nice enough but all the rest is not.

Room Tip: room 305 was facing the parking lot which was noisy and ugly and the heating did not work. Room was...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Days Inn New Haven
Days Inn New Haven
#8 of 12 in New Haven
3.0 of 5 stars 162 reviews

Been to Courtyard New Haven at Yale? Share your experiences!