“Oct. power outage refuge” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in New Haven
hartford
“Oct. power outage refuge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

We were lucky enough to get reservations when our power (hartford) went out. Our experience at hotel has been very good--on sixth floor, quiet room, clean (no funky hotel odor) decent bed--but the best thing--the shower! best water pressure ive ever experienced in hotel shower--and if you close the door and can stand hot water it starts to feel like a sauna! helpful after dry-hotel-heat-headache (but better than cold-dark-house-headache!)
only downside was "happy hour in lobby"-weak, small overpriced margarita and hummus dip that was also overpriced and awful--gritty, old-tasting.
next night had dinner at mexican place next to hotel--looks pretty seedy from outside but surprisingly pleasant inside--good food, nice staff.
Also, given the craziness of the influx of storm-outage-families trying to get rooms, the front staff were very helpful and sympathetic, and the housekeepers always pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Newport, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

The Marriott Courtyard has a great location right at Yale University. The Broadway Shopping District is right next to the hotel and I checked out the Yale Bookstore, new Apple Store, got some Yale memorabilia at Campus Customs and had a great lunch at Yorkside Pizza. The hotel staff was super friendly and I liked the new lobby which is much nicer then any of other Marriotts I have stayed in . The rooms are newly redone and have refrigerators and safes, both of which I like when I travel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

the courtyard new haven is kind of what you might conjure up in your mind when you think of staying at a hotel on a college campus. I like the energy of the young people coming and going, athletic teams, students, parents whatever....You don't know who you are siting next to in the lobby, which happens to be quite stylish, but it is a eclectic,vibrant mix. The hotel itself and quite comfortable and from what I can gleam from other reviews was recently redone. The area is college town. Yale book store, toad's place, apple store, au bon pain, etc...lots of shopping and eating options. i think it is the type of place that would appeal to most anyone..

Room Tip: I stayed on the first floor near the lobby which was convenient to food options, the gym and busines...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

going to Yale then you cannot get better than this. Spotless, good staff, parking, shops, eateries, bars its all here.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Brookline, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

the courtyard in new haven is basicly on the university campus. I was in new haven attending an athletic event that my son was participating in at the yale gym. It could not have been more convenient because the hotel is directly across the street from the gym. I did not have to move my car all weekend, because everything else that I wanted was right there too. Great restaurants, ice cream, coffee...The Yale bookstore which has a new apple store right inside it is next to the gym too. The hotel itself was just renovated and the lobby has a comfortable open plan with breakfast, lunch, dinner, and cocktails available. There is plenty of space to spread out and chill out with a beer and watch sports or news or whatever on the many tv's. I went to El Amigo Felix, a restaurant next to the hotel and had some great mexican food and margaritas. Very authentic. The guest rooms were also very nice and also recently redone. I reccomend this hotel if you are visiting new haven and especially the yale campus. It really couldn't be more perfectly located.

Room Tip: there are nice views of the campus from the upper floors on the front of the building
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

The room/facilities are good. But the customer service was just unbelievably poor, esp. given the price and Marriott's overall reputation.
I requested 2 spoons to my room; after 10 mins, 2 wrapped fork/knife were sent. Well, I didn't bother to complain at all.
But after I checked out, things went worse. I realized the next day that I lost my bracelet, an important expensive gift, in the hotel lobby while checking out. I called the front desk and the staff answering my call said clearly and surely that she saw the bracelet on desk. She promised to check it for me but couldn't find it. She promised to call me back. It did not happen.
I called the following day again; the same thing happened. The staff I talked to said surely that she saw the bracelet and but could not locate it in the Lost&Found section. She promised to call me back. It did not happen. I was curious whether my bracelet was ever properly put and registered in the Lost&Found section in their hotel.
On Oct.19, I called again, and I waited on line for over 10 minutes, being transferred to different staff who obviously knew anything or were unable to do anything about it, except for keeping on telling me "please on hold" or "let me transfer you to someone" or "we will investigate into it, can we call back".
I lost my patience and confidence in the messiest hotel service and management . I just want back my bracelet but I am thrown into this endless bureaucracy and incompetence.
Overall, the hotel service was beyond my imagination - in a bad way. Even a small inn would carefully put lost items for their guests. What happened to Marriott New Haven????

Room Tip: if you travel with valuable items, you may not want to stay in this hotel.
Cannington, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

I stayed at this hotel during a recent visit to New Haven. It had recently been fully refurbished. The lobby is functional, comfortable, and stylish. A great place to chill out or meet (I did both). There are all day food options. The hotel is located in York Square, the Yale University shopping district. I was surprised how nice a selection of stores there was including the Yale Book Store and a newly built Apple Store. There were also all sorts of nice restaurants. The hotel was clean and the guestrooms had also just been redone and had everything I needed, Wifi etc...You will not be disappointed

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Been to Courtyard New Haven at Yale? Share your experiences!