“Our home in New Haven” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 New Haven B&B and Inns
Stavanger, Norway
“Our home in New Haven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

Staying in Farnam Guest house was a true delight and a very positive experience. We arrived very late, but everything were arranged for our arrival.

We, me, my wife and our 9 month old son, stayed in the Eleanor Dow Suite which was perfect for us. Lots of space where our son could roll around on the floor (which was clean). We even had a spare bedroom, so we could definitively have brought the two other kids.

The room and the guest house were charming in all its apparence, and we felt special when got served a lovely breakfast including fruit salad in tall crystal galsses.

And while my wife attended a conference at Yale divinity college, I could stroll down to New Haven, and explore the campus area of Yale.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

This is an adorable Bed & Breakfast in New Haven, about 30 minutes from the Bridgeport ferry (which is how we got there), and about a 2-hour drive from NYC, which is where we live. The house is great: the rooms are well kept and very nice, the bathrooms are immaculately clean, they have a piano and eclectic collection of DVDs in the living room, the rooms all have cable TV and wireless internet, and the breakfast was delicious. The literature in the bedrooms might make one question the owner's sanity -- a book by Ann Coulter called "If Democrats Had Any Brains, They'd Be Republicans," and an anti-feminist, bible-thumping book called "Lies Women Believe..." are the (note: sarcasm ahead) highlights -- but if that won't disrupt your stay, then you should have no problems here. Two thumbs up!

Room Tip: The Douglas Orr room is a great bang for your buck
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011 via mobile

The beauty of the house, the friendly host and an amazing breakfast! i give my warmest recommendations.

• Stayed June 2011
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

Reservation process was easy. Checkin directions came with reservation confirmation and were easy to follow -- no surprises. Since I arrived after staff hours, I was able to use a code to enter the house and find my key and room instructions waiting. The main areas of the house were well decorated (period decor) and very clean.

My room (Farnam) was large and spotless. The bed and pillows were comfy and the bathroom was also clean and relatively roomy for a B&B. High quality towels were a plus. Temperature was comfortable.

I liked the location being a little ways (~1 mile) from downtown. I went for a great, quiet walk through a beautiful residential neighborhood in the morning. It was also nice and quiet in my room - little street noise.

Breakfast was ok. Served buffet style. Decent quality, but not much selection -- scrambled eggs, bacon, Broccoli Frattata and plain Croissants. Broccoli Fratatta was good. I requested whole wheat toast and they quickly accomodated my request. OJ seemed homemade and was yummy. Same with jelly. Overall, a decent breakfast, but not the typical B&B gourmet breakfast.

One note - during the reservation process, the person mentioned coffee, tea and cookies being available all day. I saw the coffee and tea (and enjoyed a cup of tea the night I stayed), but I never saw any cookies -- and I looked several times. Maybe they were out of stock during my one night stay?

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

As soon as I walked into the home I knew it was going to be an unforgettable stay. From the front room to the dining room and sitting room and even all the way up to the 3rd floor where I stayed the home was beautiful and clean. The staff was extremely friendly and welcoming throughout the duration of my stay. The resident cat, Wilson, also added a friendly touch to the home. Additionally, the free Yale Shuttle stops in front of the house making travel very easy. The home provided everything I imagined and more for my month long stay in New Haven.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Basel, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

My mother and I stayed at this lovely guest house. We just loved it. The house is so charming and beautifully decorated. Our room was large, clean, cosy and comfortable with a TV and bathroom. We also really enjoyed breakfast with fresh fruit and eggs and delicious croissants. We can't wait to stay there again!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2011

My sister and I had a wonderful stay at the Farnam Inn. The room was amazing! It was spacious and welcoming and the beds were wonderful. Wilson (cat) was very happy to greet us at the front door and then wandered off doing his catty thing. The next morning, breakfast was lovely and even though we did have to carry on, we did linger a bit as the small dish with fresh fruit was refreshing and an absolutely great way to start the day.
The sausages and scrambled eggs could not be faulted and this was the first time we actually sat for a while and looked at the paper and drank a leisurely cup of coffee.
I would most certainly be coming back. The Inn owner Elizabeth Lopez was gracious and we had a great talk after breakfast. The Inn cannot be faulted in any respect.
I did love Wilson!!

Stayed October 2010

Been to Farnam Guest House? Share your experiences!