“Blah” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
New Haven, Connecticut
“Blah”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

So Im not sure if I didnt enjoy the food because I was prego or because it was just blah food. I ordered my meal with platanos n they didnt have any more left. You can imagine being very prego how disappointed I was about that and it was early.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

tristate NYC area
“average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

This cozy place attempts an authentic Cuban atmosphere with photos of the owners family, traditional music playing etc. The menu is on the small size and a bit Americanized ( tofu used, for example). We wish there were more traditional dishes offered. The waitress brought us the wrong entrée so offered us a free coffee.

Visited February 2014
Connecticut
“GREAT drinks, okay food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

First of all this place is TINY, but it had a nice vibe. The waitress was friendly and polite. The food was just okay to me though especially for the prices. $18 for fried boneless chicken with mole sauce and rice and beans. The chicken was good but my rice was super dry and kind of hard. My friend ordered the pernil-like pulled pork dish and it was also good but again this was like a $20 dish.
However I HIGHLY RECOMMEND the house Sangria and the Rum Punch ($9); Both ridiculously tasty and the rum punch will def get the job done if you're lookin to get loopy. I will go back but probably just sit at the bar.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Rhode Island, USA
“Loved everything about this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

A tiny little restaurant just a block or two from Yale Rep and the museums, Soul de Cuba wrapped us in its warm embrace on a chilly evening. I'm glad we read other reviews here and made reservation (a must, as this place has just 8 or so tables). The service was efficient and charming, and the food was beyond delicious. Three of us shared two appetizer plates, the empanadas and the Soul Sampler. For main dishes, two of us had fish (my salmon was so good I can't wait to try and replicate the recipe at home), and the other had oxtails, which melted in your mouth. We split a tres leches for dessert with some cafe Cubano. The music, art, general vibe was happy, and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves as much as we were. We went early (6 p.m.), and there was nobody waiting, though every seat was filled. We'd go again in a heartbeat.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Waterbury
“My Favorite - Hands Down”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

This place is a small, cozy, and easily a romantic's dream. I always order the oxtail dinner; rabo encendido, phenomenal. Empanadas, bistec palomilla, lechon asado to name my next favs. The cocktails are delish, This is pricy, but I must say- well worth it. I recommend make resverations for Fri. & Sat. evening, as there are only 7-8 tables. The bar area is a bit cramped, but fine for waiting for somewhere to be seated. The food comes out fresh, hot, timely, and the staff are knowledgeable about the menu; a plus for me...I can tell people how irritating it is to ask someone about the menu, someone who works there, and they don't know it! The atmosphere, lighting and music add charm and soul to this spot. Again, my favorite restaurant in the state of CT.

• Visited August 2013