“Best Hotel in New Haven” 5 of 5 stars

1157 Chapel Street, New Haven, CT 06511   |
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in New Haven
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Best Hotel in New Haven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

The location of this boutique hotel in proximity to Yale was the reason that I stayed here. However the modern rooms with comfortable beds and Frette linens are the reason that I will return. The staff were helpful with directions and information about Yale. I agree that the air conditioning unit did make some loud noises at night so we asked them to look at that problem after we left. Otherwise I highly recommend The Study at Yale.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

I came to New Haven to attend a conference at Yale. The Study at Yale was one of the recommended hotels. This hotel did not disappoint! When reserving my room, I requested a campus view. I was told that many people request this view and that there are no guarantees. I was very happy to discover I had indeed received a campus view room. The room was really nice and very clean. The floor my room was on was very quiet. It was so great. The staff at the front desk were very nice and helpful. Even the cleaning staff said hello and smiled whenever I saw them. The location of the hotel was excellent. It was within walking distance to the campus buildings I needed to go to and many shops and restaurants. Insomina Cookies is on the same block. I recommend stopping in to get some cookies since they are always warm like they just came out of the oven.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Boone, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

We spent a night here in the fall and my initial review from that stay was reconfirmed in this second stay. Location, location, location as they say in the real estate trade, along with valet parking were the decisive factors in our booking this second stay! It doesn't hurt that our son's apartment is around the corner either, so The Study scores high on those factors alone. Pleasant and helpful staff along with a boutique feel throughout the hotel, comfortable lobby and lively bar certainly are all factors to recommend the hotel. Rooms are comfortable and clean and bathrooms small but functional. My major complaint Dom our first stay still stands however, and that is the noisy air conditioning unit which goes on and off throughout the night and which woke me repeatedly. That reiterated, we do plan on staying at The Study in the future during our son's tenure at Yale because the positives once again outweighed the few negatives.

• Stayed April 2012
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012 via mobile

Everyone in this place seems to go out of their way to make your stay a great experience.
Attentive, friendly, customer driven. Excellent value for the money.
They may need to work a bit on their door/valet staff. Had to go looking for them each time we needed to get our car, but even hen, they were courteous and prompt.
I don't plan to even consider any other alternatives as we return here several times a year to visit our students at Yale.
Book early. They fill up fast!

Stayed April 2012
somewhere
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

This hotel is stylish and well designed. Everything from valet parking, check in and checking out was smooth. Very welcoming staff, helpful. Our two double bed room was gorgeous, the amenities were very nice, we weren't expecting such a standard. Small gripe though: rooms on Chapel Street are kinda noisy, try get one that looks over Campus. Beds were delightfully comfortable.
Another gripe was breakfast: service was slow and the food wasn't particularly good or interesting, even though our waitress was friendly.
It is a good twenty minute walk to get to the Yale Undergraduate Admissions Office but it is a pleasant walk. Other features aren't far away.
Overall, there isn't much to complain about this place, the price is reasonable.
I can only recommend to go Study at Yale !

Room Tip: Get a view on campus!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

Great location, in the middle of Yale. Excellent design. Spacious rooms with large windows, practically and elegantly furnished. Comfortable stay.

• Stayed April 2012
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed at The Study several times in the past few years, and it is a much-needed addition to the hotel options in downtown New Haven. It's perfectly located for anyone visiting Yale, and its upscale, modern rooms are comfortable and clean. They all offer nice views of New Haven and the campus.

The Study allows dogs, which is good for nearby dog owners. But since I'm from the West Coast and do not travel East with my dog, I consider this a drawback. Once I was down the hall from a dog which would not stop barking!

Also restaurant service for breakfast has been slow every time I've stayed there.

Overall, however, it's a great place to stay.

Stayed April 2012

Been to The Study at Yale? Share your experiences!