“Should have listened to the other reviewers!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Duncan Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in New Haven
Duncan Hotel
1151 Chapel Street, New Haven, CT 06511   |
Ranked #8 of 12 hotels in New Haven
Burlington
“Should have listened to the other reviewers!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2007

After reading a few reviews on the Duncan, it didn't seem that bad. It certainly is a 50's style hotel with a 120 year old hand operated elevator. I am thinking "cute and quaint", and right next to Yale. It also looks like you've stepped into a horror movie. The lobby is the only nice thing about the place.

After a rude, front desk person pushed a piece of paper over to me to fill out, our kindly elevator operator took us to our second floor room. We were guided to our room, which smelled like stale cigarettes. The door did not lock. In fact, I screwed in the loose deadbolt screw and then propped a chair up under the doorknob for "added security"

The mattress was flat. The furniture were all mismatched pieces that looked like they were from the 70s. But the best part -- the bathroom was really something else. I don't think they bleached or cleaned the tile in years. The toilet rocked on its base when you sat on it. There was no garbage can, no alarm clock, no hair dryer, no iron. Nothing you'd expect to get a hotel.

We went to sleep to the sound of the elevator and our noisy neighbor next door. Later that night, the steam radiator kicked off and we woke to a cold room.

Guess you really get what you paid for: $84 for two people to stay overnight at the Duncan. If you need a budget room and you don't really need much more than a bed and shut eye. This is the place. Otherwise there are two other properties within the same distance of the University.

• Liked — The hand-operated elevator
  • Disliked — The smell of stale cigarettes
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

70 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2006

My son and I stayed at the Duncan for one night at the end of October. I had requested a non-smoking room away from the street and was shown to a large, clean, quiet room in the back. Everything was nice, the tv worked just fine, and the staff was polite. You can not beat this place for the price -- my room was $78 for 2. We will definitely stay here again!

• Liked — THe price and proximity to Yale.
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — make sure to ask for a room in the back away from the street noises.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Leicester, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2006

Whilst visiting Yale in September last year (05), I stayed in the Hotel Duncan for 2 nights and will be returning in October this year. It is a ideal location for both the town and the university and I found the staff very friendly and helpful. There is a real old world feel to the place, reminiscent of the 1950's. I am a student and a real believer in value for money. Sure the decor is somewhat tired and the place is in dire need of some tlc but you get what you pay for in life. At $44 a night this place is a real bargain.

• Liked — Price.
  • Disliked — Security, the door locks did not instill confidence.
  • Stayed September 2005, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2006

In taking into consideration the comfort for cost ratio I must give this hotel an "above average" rating.
I paid $50/night (plus $6.00 taxes/night) and had a teriffic room. It was spotless, had a tv, maybe not all the niceties one is used to but for me it was just fine.
It is very close to virtually everything...Yale U, museums, restaurants.
I found the staff to be helpful and congenial.
I've stayed in hotels where I have paid three times as much and didn't like them nearly as much as this one. As has been previously mentioned, there is something rather old-fashoned and genteel about this place. It is not your cookie cutter type hotel.

• Stayed May 2006
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2005

I live in New Haven but stayed at the Duncan one night when my water heater broke. The man at the desk was very nice to me and put me up in a huge, stately suite with bay windows overlooking Chapel Street (and my car). It cost $50. I remember calling the front desk about the lack of heat until it eventually came on. I had a comfortable night. For those of you unfamiliar with New Haven, the location is superb.

Stayed February 2003

Travelers are raving about these New Haven hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2005

SOme Guy with a key came in to my room thankgod i was in the bath room I thought that he was staff and he was going through draws and stuff and went over to my laptop and said Hi can I help you and he replied is this tracy's room I said no can I have your name and he darted out the room and I called down stairs and ask the man down their that there was a man in my room with akey and said that thats impossable their only two keys and he has the other so I said then who just walkedin to my room and said I dont know and that was are PROBLEM to handle it. I SAY NEVER COME TO THIS HOTEL SLEEP OUTSIDE INSTED AND LET THE PLACE BURN..........

• Stayed October 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2005

I've stayed there once every three months for last year and a half.
It's an excelent value, the employees are very nice, the rate per night is best your will find anywhere in new haven. Don't expect internet access unless you do dialup but remember you didn't pay $100 a night either.
So if you remember what you paid you will feel more positive about where you are staying. Clean.
-David in Boston, MA

• Stayed August 2005, traveled on business

Been to Duncan Hotel? Share your experiences!