“Creepy” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 6 New Haven B&B and Inns
Auburn
“Creepy”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2008

Instead of Historic Mansion Inn, the place should be name Haunted Mansion Inn. The Inn is in serious need of updating - painting, cleaning blinds, fixing towel racks. The decor is not comforting/relaxing. Need to ration toilet paper, as there wasn't another roll to be found. No individual size soaps, shampoos - instead large partially used bottle of shampoo and body wash. So, it appears the guests before us and after us are all using from the same bottles.

The website was misleading. The place was overpriced for what we got.

Had a great dinner at Tony and Lucille's Italian Restaurant complete with music with accordian throughout the dinner.

Back to New Haven - yes! Back to Historic Mansion Inn - no!

• Liked — proximity to Little Italy and the Yale campus
  • Disliked — the decor
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Solo
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2008

Decor was a liitle strange. Aside from the regular Queen beds the rooms also had cots in them which made the rooms look smaller. We did not request a cot. Place was clean but needed an update, like new paint. Shower stall was extremely small. A very large person would have a hard time with it. No tubs. Parking very tight in the back of the building.
No kleenex in rooms.
Breakfast was very boring. Hard English muffins and fruit. Dining table could have used nicer decor. How about some candles?
Thought place was overpriced for what we had.
Good points: Host was very charming and accommodating. He explained the history of the building. Location in Historic district was nice. Not far from Little Italy section of restaurants.
Website was deceiving. Inside and outside looked much nicer in pictures.
Would not stay there again. I have stayed at other B&B for less and received so much more.

• Liked — Location, Nice Host
  • Disliked — Price, breakfast, decor
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2007

This was a charming inn that my hubby and I stayed at for a weekend getaway. The bed and sheets were very comfortable and the room was quite large. I wish they had a bathtub and thicker walls (we could hear conversations from other rooms) and a bit better breakfast menu (the food was basic but so so. Staff was extremely welcoming and polite, always.The location is fabulous, one block away from historic Wooster St. (Sally's Apizza is fab). We took off for a day trip to NYC, parked the car at Union St. station and it ended up costing only $10 for the day. Overall this inn is a great deal and great stay.

Stayed March 2007
Mattoon, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2006

My wife and I stayed but one night while traveling through on our way to a Canadian vacation. The place was very nice (although our bathroom - particularly the shower - was small). The location was excellent - in a residential area of nice homes and within walking distance of many restaurants.

Probably what made the stay the most memorable was our charming host. He shared the history of the place and was most gracious in every way.

And, I know that sounds a bit silly, but at breakfast, the host prepared (among other things) perfectly toasted English muffins.

• Liked — Charming host
  • Disliked — Parking was tight
  • Stayed July 2005, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2005

We recently stayed at the Inn with my entire family (12 of us had the entire place to ourselves) and it was perfect for a family reunion. Located in the lovely Wooster Square neighborhood, a quick walk to the Wooster Street Italian eateries (Frank Pepe, Consiglios) it's really a perfect place for those looking for a comfortable home base for a getaway in New Haven.

It's also w/in walking distance to the New Haven green, Yale, Yale Rep, the museums, etc. Also very convenient to I-95 & I-91. A very fast trip up from NYC, also close to the NH train station.

Innkeeper Nick gave us the run of the place - literally! We all had a great time exploring New Haven and just "hanging out" in the very comfy chairs and couches in the two HUGE sitting rooms on the first floor. The rooms are nicely furnished with antiques & repros, very comfy beds, most rooms w/private baths. Yummy breakfasts each day cooked personally by Nick. It was truly a "home away from home" for our family. Wish we had stayed more than 2 nights! Would most definitely recommend this to my friends, would definitely return!

• Stayed June 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2003

My stay at the Historic Mansion Inn in New Haven, CT was excellent! I couldn't ask for anything more. The room was exquisite, the bed was extremely comfortable, and staff was very polite. The entire Inn was very clean with handcrafted woodwork throughout along with high ceilings and beautiful doors with old-style locks which still work to this day! The Historic Mansion Inn was very secure. I was issued a key chain with a key to the front main door of the Inn and an early 1900's inspired key to my room. I recommend the Historic Mansion Inn to anyone looking to stay in the New Haven area or upper-Fairfield County. In fact, a couple of my friends have recently taken me up on my recommendation and were nothing less than thrilled with their stay stating they felt more comfortable and "at home" in the Historic Mansion Inn than they ever would in an ordinarey hotel. I highly recommend it!

Also consider these accommodations in or near New Haven
4.5 of 5 stars 545 reviews
New Haven Premiere Hotel and Suites
Courtyard New Haven at Yale
La Quinta Inn & Suites New Haven

Been to The Historic Mansion Inn? Share your experiences!