“Disappointing” 2 of 5 stars

The Omni New Haven Hotel at Yale
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   155 Temple St., New Haven, CT 06510   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Parking or Rooms!
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in New Haven
Tampa, Florida, United States
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I have really loved staying at the Omni brand hotels previously. I was booked here for a week since I am given professional lectures nearby. Given the price for the room and parking, I am surprised. The bed is very uncomfortable. The heat is overwhelming, and I was told it can not be altered. The room has a connecting door, and it is easy to hear conversations and noise close by. There are lovely dark dust stains on the carpet edges outlining the room. The front desk staff said they are unable to switch my room. The elevators are slow and one of the three is out of service. The room service is also slow and the food was really bad. This is the first time in years I have considered leaving a hotel before my reservation is complete. I will say, some of the staff are quite nice. Others have very little skill in terms of customer service. It's unfortunate this isn't an overall better representation of the Omni brand. Unless there is a drastic change- this hotel will go on our "do not use" list.

Room Tip: Rooms at another hotel will probably be of better value.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Omni_Manager, Manager at The Omni New Haven Hotel at Yale, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
We apologize for all the issues you experienced during your stay. While we're glad some of our staff was able great service, we're sorry we didn't meet your expectations. We will follow up with you with a private message.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

Great top not h service cute rooms. Not as nice as I thought would be based on other omni I resorts I've been to. Receptionist was very friendly and thier omni rewards program was super helpful for a late checkout. Lots of great restaurants on the block

• Stayed December 2012
OmniMgr, Manager at The Omni New Haven Hotel at Yale, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
We are glad you enjoyed your recent stay at the Omni New Haven and enjoyed several of the restaurants in the surrounding area. Thank you for allowing us to read about your experience and we hope you will return soon.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

On first arrival you are greeted with a warm and friendly welcome, a beautiful entry way and lobby decorated very elegantly with a very rich feel to it. I was impressed with the daily change of fruit and vegetable infused water in the lobby as well. The valet staff and the bell hop were all very friendly and helpful whenever i had any questions. My room was a typical room with nothing much to mention. Now I will move onto the less positive remarks. The staff at the front desk needs to take a few courses in customer relations and service. After having my room changed on 3 separate occasions in a four day stay, I would have expected a more friendly approach than was received. If I were the only one that felt this way, I probably would not comment as such, however at the time of my departure I happened to hear two other guests on their checkout also complaining about constant room changes and the approach that the staff had also taken with the complaining customers. Overall, good place, needs customer relations work.

• Stayed January 2013
OmniMgr, Manager at The Omni New Haven Hotel at Yale, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
We appreciate your comments and regret not only that you required several room moves during your stay with us but also that these requests were not received in a more friendly manner. Your feedback is valuable for us to understand how we can improve and we assure you that your comments will be shared with our front office team. Thank you for allowing us to read about your experience and we hope for a future opportunity to serve you.
Durango
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Average rooms, a bit worn. Uncomfortable mattresses, heat wouldn't go off. Maid knocking on my door at 0800 every morning, even though I had my do not disturb sign on the door. Bellman were very helpful throughout my stay. Front desk manager Steven extremely rude on the telephone the multiple times he called me to change my room.

• Stayed January 2013
Please accept our apologies for the disruptions during your stay. We regret that your experience did not live up to the reputation of our hotel and your comments will be shared with the management team. We truly hope that the future will provide us with a second opportunity to provide you with the great stay you deserve.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed in New Haven this past weekend and appreciated this place immensely. From the moment we arrived, they had my keys waiting at express check-in desk, and they already had a crib in the room waiting for us for my infant son to sleep in. They were also quite prompt about coming up immediately to fix a bathtub drain that had a problem holding water and were incredibly kind about a late night repair.

Also, location is nice, as this hotel is in the heart of New Haven and within walking distance from anything in town. And the decor is beautiful and well-fitting of a professional venue.

The only thing that would have been nice to see was a breakfast option that was not so expensive. I have seen many hotels of this caliber in Europe who do not rack up the prices on breakfast options but this hotel seems to keep it pretty expensive. Other than this, there is nothing I can say I dislike about this hotel and would definitely choose it again if I had the opportunity.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
We are glad you had a great stay at the Omni New Haven at Yale. If you plan to return to our hotel or any other Omni Hotel, we would like to invite you to sign up for our complimentary Select Guest program. One of the many perks is free beverage delivery service in the morning with an option to add on inexpensive breakfast items. Thank you for sharing your experience and we hope you will return soon!
Toledo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

traveling to New Haven for the past 4 years for business, first time ever staying at the Omni. I am big on first impressions and the front desk gal, must have been having a bad day as she was not at all welcoming or personable. The lobby is beautiful, rich classic style/woods. The "recently upgraded" room, was average, wall paper peeling at seems, snags in dirty carpet. I like a fridge/microwave, had to ask 2x for delivery and when it did come the fridge was still full with someone's food! Beautiful restaurant on the 19th floor, food was excellent, although the waitress told me it was too confusing for the chef to steam my aspargus without butter or oil, only one chef on that night and things were "crazy" (there were 4 other seated tables). Location is great, walk to Yale Univerity, shopping, good eats (Claire's Corner Copia-gourmet veg, simply the BEST). The bellhops were awesome, but find that at most every hotel. Have to return in 2 weeks, will see how that visit goes.

Room Tip: sign up for Omni loyalty program, gets you USA today on your door in the morning
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
We were dismayed to read your review of our hotel but are grateful for the opportunity to understand where we missed the mark during your stay. We are familiar with your concerns from your in house feedback and hope that you were able to take the opportunity to speak with our General Manager so that he could assure you that your concerns will be addressed for your next visit. Although we regret that we didn't provide a better first impression, we are confident that your next stay with us will be flawless.
Branford CT, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I live near New Haven but my BFF and I were heading into New Haven for a class reunion and didnt want to have a cocktail (or four) and worry about driving, So we decided to stay overnight and make a quick girls getaway out of it. We LOVED this hotel, I was so pleasantly suprised by the exceptional service and friendliness of all staff that we came in contact with. The were WONDERFUL!! We pulled up to valet the car (for an extra $5 its worth it) in her old beat up honda and joked with the staff about being very careful with it, they made us feel like we were driving a Bentley! Front desk gal was a peach, and gave us complimentary breakfast buffet! We had opted to upgrade to a corner room for a $30 fee, and received a lovely sunny room with a lovely view! The Bed, ohhhh the bed, was to DIE for! Room very clean, fresh, with nice toiletries and fluffy towels and bathrobes. We bellyed up to the Davenport bar on the 19th floor for a drink before heading out. Had an outstanding cosmo (some places can really mess up that drink!) from a very friendly bartender. The views are so pretty up there! The gym was very nice. The lobby is very classic with dark wood, chess tables, plenty of cozy places to sit. The little market was very nice. I slept like a baby, and the next day, the breakfast buffet was wonderful!! Everything was fresh, clean, and replaced/refreshed non stop. YUM!!! Waitstaff was attentive and a gentleman, who I assume was the restaurant manager even came out to make sure we were happy. What service! Our checkout was a breeze and our "limo" (aka the old Honda) was retrieved quickly but a very nice group of men!! I forget how nice New Haven can be, this hotel is in the best location and walking distance to many excellent restaurants, pubs, in the middle of Yale action and short walk to the hospital. Stay here!! Its awesome!!

Room Tip: A higher floor will have better views. I was in room 1213, a wonderful corner room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for all of your kind words regarding your recent stay at the Omni New Haven at Yale! We are thrilled to have had the opportunity to treat you like royalty for your night out and we hope you will return soon!

Been to The Omni New Haven Hotel at Yale? Share your experiences!