“Default lunch spot for chatty preppies” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Bistro
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
New York City, New York
“Default lunch spot for chatty preppies”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I'm a chatty preppy, so I love Gates. It's where my mother goes for lunch with her friends. It's where I go for lunch with my wide and kids after we try to eat in Scott's Corners at 1:20 PM on a Sunday and realize that's nearly impossible because everything worth eating has shut down; and after we walk into Tequila Mockingbird but are sent away because they don't open until 4:00 on Sunday. So Gates is often like the third girl you call on a saturday, after getting rejected twice. It's our restaurant of last resort, and it never fails to please. Good food, loud room where kids don't annoy everyone, high ceilings, lots of light.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

New Canaan, Connecticut
“Bright and cheery”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Their Chop Chop Verona Salad is one I could eat every day! Great place to meet friends for lunch or after work for a drink and dinner. Forest Street has lots of good restaurants, but Gates is the linchpin.

Visited February 2013
Connecticut
“Can't go wrong”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Great for family dining or drinks at the bar. We've dined there at least 40 times over the years. Whenever guests are in town.

Visited February 2013
New Canaan, Connecticut
“Gates restaurant in NC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have been going to Gates for years. There salads have always been the thing to order but was unimpressed last time I was there...and do not remember when. was in the past year.

Briarcliff Manor, New York
“Good food, friendly service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Visited Gates while on a vacation in the NY area. The menu was very good encompassing our two little kids (11, 9) with burger fare but also inspired to accommodate our palates (ahi tuna was very nice). The service was fast and the food very tasty indeed. I will go back for sure when I return to NY.

• Visited January 2013