“Our New Favorite” 5 of 5 stars

203 966 5200
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
South End Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 58 Restaurants in New Canaan
Cuisines: American
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Directly behind the New Canaan train station.
Connecticut
“Our New Favorite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

My wife and I had a great date night at the South End. We sat at a bar table (very comfortable corner booth,) watched a little golf (my idea, not hers,) and enjoyed the open, airy, and relaxed feel to the place. The service was friendly and attentive, and the food was pretty remarkable. As an appetizer we ordered stuffed figs that were wrapped in prosciutto (my wife’s idea, not mine.) They were awesome and every bite of our dinner thereafter was fabulous. The menu is very diverse and thoughtfully designed. I would think that anybody could find something of appeal to eat. The only problem is that, as expected, it is expensive. We’ll be back as soon as we are ready to splurge again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Stamford, Connecticut
“Poor service and soso food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

The waiter forgot to take my husbands order. Two out of four of us ordered the same menu item but my friend changed the way it was made. The waiter got the items mixed. I did not like the dish at all. I would not go back.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“After four visits, this gets my full stamp of approval. Great spot.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I have dove into this menu and ambience a few times now. Every time it has gotten better and improved on consistency. Seems like a great addition to New Canaan after everything being so tired and played out.

I can honestly say the restaurant has all the right things going. Excellent and Food , a friendly and attentive staff and a beautiful ambience where decor has some story to it.

I have had the burrata now on three occasions and have been impressed with the fresh and bright flavoring the garnishes have complemented the cheese with.

On my most recent visit I thoroughly enjoyed the ramp and steak tacos. The ramps were quick pickled and filled with good flavor and the steak was a great medium rare with perfect texture. This was also prepared with a visually cool presentation in a cast iron basket and a little bottle of tobasco for your own personal touch of heat, if decided.

I will be making this a regular spot.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Shelton, Connecticut
“Mediocre Brunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Although it has received mostly positive buzz, our Sunday Brunch experience at South End was meh. With the dining room no more than 10% full you would think that you would get extraordinary attention in a place with precious few customers--yet the service ranged from disinterested to non-existent. The food was also unexceptional. Salads were good, but we had to send one back because it was missing ingredients. The $16.00 burger was only average and the portion size was skimpy. The fries that came with it were delicious---but they were not hot enough and were already going limp and becoming soggy. Perhaps South End is worth trying for dinner. But you are advised to skip brunch--and maybe they should, too.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Third time in the charm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Everyone in town knows the location of this restaurant is the prior home of two earlier eating places. This time the food and service are much improved. This is now one of the very top eating places in town. The menu evolves seasonally and steadily. All salad eaters rank the Iceburg Lettuce salad tops. The hamburger is especially juicy and with delicious seasoning. The soups are outrageously good and entres mouthwatering. Great lunch on Saturdays and now serving brunch on Sundays. Bar food good, too.

• Visited March 2013