“Clean and okay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Mystic
Monterey, California
“Clean and okay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

We stayed for one night just after the hurricane had gone through, and the hotel was packed. I think many locals were staying as there was no power in nearby areas, so our experience was probably not what it would have been under other circumstances. The staff were okay, not overly friendly. Breakfast was disappointing but again, it was probably because the hotel was full so the tables weren't clean and there wasn't much food to choose from. The room, however, was lovely - very spacious and clean, as was the bathroom. Location is good, with easy access to Mystic.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We checked in after 2 am so I would have liked a cheaper rate and/or a nicer person to work with but oh well! The room was great even if we didn't need al the room for the short time we were there! Great Breakfast person on hand, that was the am of 9/9/11.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

I went to this hotel based on other reviews and it was right on the nose. The hotel staff was super nice and friendly. At check-in they asked if we wanted a free night at the comfort inn because they overbooked so we went over there (right at the next parking lot) and looked at a room...needless to say...we went right back over to the Marriott and paid for the obvious better choice. We had a 1 bedroom suite which was spacious and VERY clean! That is my biggest issue when booking hotels...and this one was spottless.
The free breakfast was ok..it had basically everything you could want. I would definitely go back and highly recommend this hotel...oh and was super close (like within 2 miles) from everything!

Room Tip: Ask for higher floor so you don't get noise from outside.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Hallandale Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

Great location and hotel, managed by a great manager Scott, this was my third year staying at this property. I have stayed each time for 2 weeks in a two bedroom suite.
My mother and I just love this hotel for it's location, helpful and kind employees, cleaniness and good breakfast.
If my 86 year old mother could be a spokesperson for this hotel she would praise it !!!

naugatuck
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

There was an impending hurricane and due to traffic, etc. we arrived late (I contacted the hotel to let them know this). When we arrived at 10:15PM with two children in tow, ages 4 and 11, I came in to check in leaving my traveling partner and the children in the car. There was a clerk on shift who seemed as though he didn't want to be bothered because it was late. They tried to take a week's stay for a deposit on the room even though we were only going to be there for 2 days. I said that has never happened before as we have stayed at numerous Marriott properties and he says he doesn't know so I go back outside in the pouring rain to speak to my friend whom I traveled with from the other end of Connecticut with and she goes in with me (we have our children with us) and he says as she requested some additional information. He says, "should I explain it in English?", as though we are both stupid. Between the two of us we speak 5 languages. He told both of us that in order to stay here would need to give a $1000 deposit plus incidentals. He was rude, argumentative, and said "well what am I supposed to do". I advised him I've stayed here at least 3 times previously and never had to deposit 4 nights plus incidentals plus tax and some other charge. He says "well tell me what you want to do" and turns his back and leaves us standing in the lobby. I get angry because I don't believe this is even happening and I decide to call the national Marriott customer service number. I spoke to a representative, explained to her what was going on and she said that was not the hotel's policy and she would call the hotel directly. She does, and he then does what is customary and charges $400 hold which was what should have happened when we got here. He wasn't sorry about his less than professional behavior, he didn't apologize for having us be aggravated five minutes into walking throught the door. Because of the poor attitude of this employee who was totally useless, he ruined the start of this trip which was planned for months. The problem, as I see it, is that he did not want to have 2 black women with their children staying at this establishment so he wanted to get some other collateral to ensure there was no other damage to the room. After taking 30 minutes to check in, he shoves 4 keys for room 119 to us and tells that he doesn't care how we pay when we check out, "gold or silver is fine". I requested a high floor on my reservation, which we didn't get because he was angry that I went over his head by calling Marriott customer service, and whenn we open the door to the suite it is the most disgusting, loud, crummy. The room was horrendous. We tookk 36 pictures to prove how disgusting this room looks and will be more than happy to share them with you as we did not want Jacob or anybody else here trying to blame us for the disgusting condition of this room. It looked like a crime had occured in this room and the forensic cleanup wasn't done. My eleven year old would not leave a room like this. The door lock wasn't sturdy, tubs weren't clean, the toilets weren't clean, the bathroom floors were disgusting, there were stains all over the walls and furnture from God knows what doors and other areas, the toaster didn't work, the dishes were dirty, the stove was dirty, the sinks were dirty, the kitchen table has a broken leg on it, dents in the walls, there dirty towels left in one of the bathrooms, the interior doors do not close properly, the and tub drains barely flow, the futon had no pillows for night use, two of the three phones did not work. The cartoon network channel did not work at all and thank God that I had my laptop or the children would not have had any suitable television programming to watch. The safe was closed and locked and unable to be opened so when we left I had to take our valuables with us and lock them in the car. Thankfully I had brought chlorox wipes and scrubbing bubbles cleanser with me or we'd not have touched anything for fear of contracting a disease. I stayed in a Travelodge in Vermont that was cleaner than this and I did not pay $225 per night plus tax. On this last day, 8/27/11, at about midnight while we are packing up the room to leave before Hurricane Irene hits, we get the bill wherein my friends debit card was charged for our stay. As per previous stays in Marriott hotels, including this establishment, the consumer has the right to pay when their stay is up. Once again, I suppose the staff at this particular inn must think that we were going to skip out on the bill so they charged my friend's card for $20 dollars more than for the cost of the stay. As I told the clerk upon check in we are splitting the bill and will pay cash when we check out on Sunday morning. I called the front desk, speak to someone and the desk clerk says and he says the card hasn't been charged yet. She checks her online bank statement, and lo and behold these people have charged her card for something more than what the actual cost of stay is. She goes to the front desk, and he tells her that there is also a balance of $290 something odd dollars which is impossible as the rate should only have been $450.80. Conveniently, the manager wasn't available and we were told we'd get a call from the manager before we left. She is not the person who made the reservation, she is not the person whose Marriott Rewards account this is booked under, and she is not the federal employee whom is entitled to the government rate. Apparently the first clerk screwed up and was so angry that he swiped her card instead of mine (he had both of our cards)because I had Marriott Customer service on the phone when we tried to get the room that I requested in the first place. We both travel extensively for both work and pleasure and have never experienced such horrendous, abyssmal, nonexistent customer service and appreciation that we chose to spend our hard earned dollars here when there are at least 5 other hotels in this area that look as good as this one does from the outside. I routinely stay at the Boston Long Wharf Marriott which is a spectacular hotel and never had to experience this kind of thing from this F rate facility. In this recession where people are careful with the dollars they spend, I will never, EVER, EVER give another nights business to this dump again. The front desk folk should not have any contact with the public with an attitude with which was exhibited on 8/26/11. This stay was not worth $450 some-odd dollars, and if Jacob, and the rest of the staff involved in this debacle were behaved this way representing the government or ATT they would be employed at all. I want the hold taken off Mrs. Winters card. As I told the clerk who didn't care whether you got paid in gold or silver we will pay in the morning on 8/28/11, at our checkout. The incompetant staff ruined our vacation, and even the children were disgusted by the condtion of the so-called suite we were given and were upset because their parents were upset. The manager never bothered to call us and we've been home for 3 days and we've wasted enough time being annoyed, insulted, aggravated, disrespected, lied to and belittled when we are paying them. Save your money and STAY ELSEWHERE!!

Westfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

From the warm, fresh-baked cookies upon arrival to the spacious room, we were more than satisfied with the accommodations at this hotel. We will absolutely be back. I thought the value was great, and the hotel is right next to restaurants and shops.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
East Greenbush
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

Two adults and two teenagers stayed here for 2 nights. Very nice front desk staff. Gave great recommendations for restaurants. Hotel may be a little dated, but our room was very clean. We requested a roll-a-way bed and it arrived within minutes when we entered our room, and no extra fee was charged. Our room said "no view" when we booked it online through Marriott, but we looked into a wooded area that very pleasant. Overall a great location. Maybe a 5 minute drive to the downtown area of Mystic. Can't walk into the town of Mystic, but it didn't appear to be many places that were walking distance. Parking in the town wasn't difficult. Our AC unit was a little noisier than most other hotels I've stayed in. Bed was extremely comfortable.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Residence Inn Mystic Groton? Share your experiences!