“Such a shame...should and could be great, but really poorly run instead” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Mystic

Special Offer
Memories in Mystic
Ranked #7 of 12 hotels in Mystic
NY
“Such a shame...should and could be great, but really poorly run instead”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

This was the most difficult review I have written, because this place could and should be great, but really is run poorly, and that causes some inexcusable inconveniences.
We arrived on Sunday of Presidents week. Arrived at 5:30PM, and the rooms were "not ready." Mystic is a family destination, and we travelled far with two small children. Rooms not ready at 5:30PM? NOT ACCEPTABLE. So I ask for the manager, and front desk girl tells me "he is making beds so your room can be ready." OK, make the best of it I say, well where to wait?...the lobby and waiting cove are taken over by the cocktail hour of a wedding. So now, many tired families are sharing the same very small place with people in gowns and tuxedos drinking alcohol over the heads of our children who have no place to go. This is not smart, and NOT SAFE. For a while I kept my kids still so as not to disrupt anybody at the weddings time, but why should my family be put out because of poor hotel management? So, onward to the pool. We can try that. I get a pool key from front desk, and go to change...well girls bathroom at the pool is out of order....so walk back through the wedding to another restroom in the lobby. Get to the pool...HOLY COW..This place allows outsiders to throw pool parties. There are literally 60 or 70 people in the pool. No seats available, way TOO MANY PEOPLE in the pool to be safe or hygienic. I highly resent that the hotel that I am paying for allows outsiders to fill up the pool area. The pool is pretty, and the area warm and nice, but the pool itself is not big, and what good is that nice pool when you cant even enjoy it? Anyway, we go out to explore. Get a call 2 hours later (maybe 7Pm) that our room is finally ready...gee thanks. HORRIBLE check-in experience. We chose this hotel because stuff like this shouldnt happen at a Hilton.

Now some good...the hotel itself has a GREAT location. The rooms and hotel are clean. Staff seemed to try hard to do the best they could, although I feel management really hung the desk staff out to dry.

Next day we walk to aquarium in the snow. (Penguins loved it!) and had a great time. Come back to use the pool...no party Monday, so it was reasonable in the pool area. But, no towels. So the guy next to me calls twice to get towels over an hour. No towels. He leaves. I call twice over the next hour. The second call I was downright livid. It should not take 4 calls over 2 hours to get towels. i can tolerate 2 calls over a half hour, but 4 calls over 2 hours is RIDICULOUS for a hotel like this. It was about 8 degrees outside, and we didnt want our kids walking soaking wet through the lobby. I really laid into the guy at the front desk(again, this is a problem of management, nothing else.) I give up, and I walk my kids soaking wet back to the room. This front desk guy Tom shows up at my door very apologetic Tom is professional and friendly (he looks like the character Gabe from The Office.) He offers us free breafast for our troubles. I appreciate that, and I accept, although part of the fun of the area is eating at some of the cute cafes.

Arrive at breakfast. They charge $14 for adults, and $10 per kid if you have to pay. Breakfast staff was great. the food was not. In fact, for that outrageous price i found the food to be very similar to the "extended continental Breakfast" I had at a Homewood Suites two weeks before (see my review.) For $14 you get: mass produced scrambled eggs, potatoes, breakfast meat, and either pancakes(dry and hard) or waffles(also dry and hard.) There are some fresh fruits, some deli meats, some bagels and pastries(quality of continental breakfasts.) Assorted juices(nice,) yogurt and hot and cold cereal. Now, not a bad selection, but for $14 there should be more...like a fresh omelet station, maybe some fish(like lox,) or SOMETHING that is not mass produced and found at every continental breakfast in Mystic. Let me repeat, breakfast staff was excellent.

Back to the room...room was fine. Definitely clean, but not luxurious. Little things really could make it better...the rooms have space for 2 queens instead of doubles. Bedding was nice, but not top quality. Same for pillows. Same for the TV.

In summary, I really think that this is a nice place run very poorly. The price was not outrageous, but we chose this over the Hampton or HI Express for that little added Hilton luxury we wanted for this trip. IT WAS NOT WORTH IT! I must admit I didnt pay a fortune for the room. It would have cost slightly less to stay elsewhere. We made the best of it, as moving to another place with the kids during snow was just too inconvenient. The location can not be beat for doing family things in Mystic. I hope somebody reads this and makes changes to the way things are done there. As a Hilton Honors member who travels often I will be copying this review, and sending it to Hilton management, because I hope they fix this place back into what it should be. Until then I will stay elsewhere.

Hope this helps!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

529 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
West Warwick, Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

I called ahead requesting a flower vase than gave staff a reminder upon arrival, but not untill we made 3rd request after returning from dinner, did we receive it. Discovered the room had no hair dryer after a late night swim, again it took over one hour and three request to get one. On a more possitive note, the coffee supplies where not replaced our 2nd night and we made a call requesting coffee and cups, they responded within 5 minutes. For $170. per night, the rate of many 4Star resorts, this tired looking hotel has management asleep at the wheel.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Northford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2011

The hotel was an over night stay but a nice experience. The room was big and clean and the bed was really comfortable. The bathroom was spacious, clean and the shower had good water pressure. The hotel provided Crabtree & Evelyn shampoo and soaps that smelled really good. The towels they provide were big and plush. The hotel staff was very friendly. I ordered a fruit basket from a local company to be delivered to the hotel. Two young men from the hotel brought it up to the room and sang happy birthday to us when they read the balloon that was attached to the basket. It was a nice touch that made us smile. We did not eat at the restaurant but we did get a cup of coffee to bring up to our room. When I went to pay for it the young lady in the restaurant said there was no charge. We thanked her and left to go to the room. We passed a cleaning lady in the hallway who said good morning to us, so again another friendly staff memeber. I was really happy with this hotel and would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Shoreline CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2010

This Hilton is in need of a facelift. The lobby and restaurant are very nice, yet the halls and the room I was in was in need of complete renovation. I am Hilton Gold and was not offered an upgrade (even though the property seemed like a ghost town), I could have used a larger room, as I was traveling with my 2 kids.
The restaurant food was quite good for both dinner and for breakfast (yet a bit on the expensive side)....

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Kiwi195, Director of Sales at Hilton Mystic, responded to this review, December 29, 2010
Thank you so much for your positive feedback. I will make sure to read your review during our staff meeting so that our staff can be recognized for their outstanding service. We look forward to having you back at the hotel. If there is anything I can do to make your stay more enjoyable, please let me know.

Director of Sales
australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2010

Stayed Halloween weekend and was immersed in the festivities. Village across the road, as well as aquarium. Room very spacious and tidy, bathroom products good and clean facilities. Room service quick and staff friendly. Noted free internet on TV that did not work and was then charged very high rate in business centre which was very disappointing. Large hotel with weddings and conferences occuring. Did not have a car but close to bus stop to providence and nyc. More difficult to get to other parts of the area ( you really do need car).

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Thank you so much for taking time to let us know how much you enjoyed your stay at our Hilton Mystic hotel! We strive to provide an excellent experience for all our guests. We look forward to having you back soon.

Director of Sales & Marketing
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2010

Upon arrival, the staff was very courteous and even asked us what floor we would prefer. But on our way to the room, (3rd Floor) the carpet was all bubbled up and our room had a musty old smell. It was a little off -putting, especially for a Hilton where you would expect quality. One of the elevators appeared to be out of service, and you had to wait FOREVER to get up and down, so we opted to take the stairs. The bedroom wasn't bad and the bed was super comfortable! However, they must have no insulation between their walls because we could hear our neighbor's tv very loudy and a baby could be heard crying on the other side.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest: Thank you very much for your feedback. We appreciate you taking time to let us know what you liked about our hotel. We look forward to having you back to the hotel when you return to Mystic, CT.

Director of Sales & Marketing
NH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2010

If your looking to shop and stay in Mystic, the location is right behind Old Mystic Port shopping center. If your going to Foxwoods (8mi), or Mohegun (12mi) you will find it is a very confusing and winding road to get Foxwoods, and convenient highway driving to Mohegun.

The hotel is average, not bad - but not great. The room service breakfast was also just okay. The people were excellent; that is the one really nice part. The bar was empty on a Saturday night - obviously people are out and about.

The room was the sticking point. There are really loud a/c / heating unit in the room which WILL wake you up. The windows need replacing so when the nights are cold that unit is kicking on quite a bit. The room was updated, but not being kept up. The metal frame doors in the bathroom were rusting from moisture. The baseboards were dusty/dirty. The coffee machine wouldnt work well. The bed and pillows were comfortable. The TV and service were just fine. The pressure on the tub was excellent, but the floor and tub were not slip resistent - (be carefull). Hotel parking was a breeze and on the third floor it was not loud.

I paid $75 on priceline, that was a Great Deal. I was looking for a CLEAN hotel and overall, this get's a B+ for that. We were just staying one night to go to Foxwoods, again for that - I would stay again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us at the Hilton Mystic. As part of the management team, we take all comments seriously and do share them with our staff, I did speak with our engineering staff and did tell them about your problems. Again, thank you for the comments because we are always looking for ways to improve. Please think about giving us another try.

Sincerely, Amanda Silvia - DIrector of Sales

Been to Hilton Mystic? Share your experiences!