“could not sleep- too noisy” 2 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Mystic
Ansonia, Connecticut
“could not sleep- too noisy”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We recently stayed on a Saturday night. It was fine until bedtime when there was a lot of loud voices and laughing. I'm talking about the middle of the night. Our room was not far from the front desk area so they probably heard the noise too. I had to call to complain before it stopped.
After telling several people about this, we got only a small amount of our diamond honors club points refunded to us. They have not responded to this. We're very disappointed in the people running things there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
HiltonMystic, Rooms Division Manager at Hilton Mystic, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
I appreciate you taking the time to submit your review of our hotel, I hate that your experience was negatively affected by other guests. Due to our location being so close to so many wonderful venues to get married we have a high number of wedding parties that choose to stay with us. Some wedding parties are better than others when it comes to noise levels, but we always try respond right away to any noise complaints. Please feel free to contact me directly in regards to your Hilton Honors points.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Waterford, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We stayed here on 11/11/12 for one night for a wedding. We were guests and were treated very well from the moment we arrived. The hotel is close to lots of shopping and restaurants. The food at the wedding reception was good. The breakfast buffet the next morning was ok. We ordered coffee to be delivered from room service and it arrived on time and hot. All of the staff were friendly and accomodating. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. I would definitely recommend it!

Room Tip: If you want to pamper yourself outside the hotel, there is a full service salon "Hair Unique&qu...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
HiltonMystic, Rooms Division Manager at Hilton Mystic, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you for posting your review of our hotel and kind words regarding our staff. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed everything during your stay with us, come back and see us again soon!
Salford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed at the hotel for 5 weeks and can give it nothing but praise, Although the rooms may be bit dated.The Hotel staff made my stay a welcoming time and offered an abundance of information on the surrounding areas. Please send my thanks to Mary, Shannon, Janice and RJ they made my time away from home so much better with there warm welcome.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review of our hotel, I am happy to hear that we were able make you feel welcome and appreciated during your extended stay with us. I would also like to thank you for complimenting our hotel staff, we think we have a pretty good group here at the Hilton Mystic.
East Lyme, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I was very disappointed with the Hilton Mystic and if I'd been paying for the room myself for the week-long stay, I'd have been asking for a partial refund. The Hilton name led me to believe that this hotel would be one of the best in the town, but I can assure prospective customers that it's not! Maybe the writing was on the wall when, at breakfast on the first morning, the waiter cleared my table - including an almost full cup of coffee and a newspaper - while I was making toast. Breakfast items ran out and were not always replaced and choice of bread/bagels was poor; on only two occasions was low-fat cream cheese available. Come on, most people like to look after themselves even when they're on holiday! Bedrooms were passable - certainly clean, and housekeeping staff were very friendly - but the bedding and pillows were sub-standard, making for uncomfortable nights. On the first day, we reported the bathtub as being slow to drain during and after showers but nothing was done about this during our week's stay. Reception staff were helpful when asked questions, but couldn't be called friendly by any stretch of the imagination. I'm just glad this wasn't a holiday; if it had been, we'd have been left feeling let down by this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
HiltonMystic, Rooms Division Manager at Hilton Mystic, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
I am terribly sorry to hear about your poor experience with our hotel and the service provided. As mention previously in other responses, service is something that takes top priority here and again I am sorry to hear that we did deliver what you come to know and expect from a Hilton brand hotel. I have forwarded your concerns to the appropriate department managers and the issues will be addressed. I do hope that you will come back to see us again and give us another chance to show you the kind of service you would expect to receive at the Hilton.
Oromocto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed at the Mystic Hilton as part of a wedding party in October. As my husband is an active Armed Forces member as well as a veteran we expected to be able to qualify for the Military rate, as all Hiltons in Canada (and world-wide) offer this reduced rate. At check-in they announced Canadian Military do not qualify at their hotel. Ironic considering in Canada, Hiltons accept ALL branches of military regardless of country. Our 'negotiated rate' for the wedding was basically the same as a CAA/AAA rate, so it was more of a respect issue than a money issue.

The lobby was well-appointed, as was the bar. The hallways were run-down but our room was clean, attractive and well-stocked. Due to our hectic schedule we were in and out of the rooms throughout the days we were there however the amazing housekeeping staff snuck in & out according to our times and did a fantastic job. They were also extremely friendly with good mornings and smiles always.

The breakfast staff and bar staff were exceptional and definitely made up for the front desk staff experience. Warm, friendly and went out of their way to make us feel at home. The breakfast staff were very patient with our large coming & going group and I would stay here again for the bar and breakfast staff.

As I went back and forth to the bridal suite I was struck by how shabby the back area of the third floor was. The rooms inside may have been shined up but as my title implies, you can't hide the fact that in between a pretty lobby and pretty rooms are dark, dingy run-down motel-like halls that make you feel creepy.

I really believe Hilton, or this Hilton if that's the case, needs to reevaluate their policy on rates for Military members. They all serve side by side, yet cannot sleep side by side in this hotel for the same price. Just pay the same price in combat for their lives. Disrespectful.

Room Tip: 2nd Floor seem to be best
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
HiltonMystic, Rooms Division Manager at Hilton Mystic, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for submitting your review, I am happy to hear that in the end you had great experience thanks to our service in the bar and restaurant along with our housekeeping service. We will be undergoing a renovation this winter so all the hallways will be updated along with the rest of the hotel. I do apologize for the fact that our Military Rate only applies to US Government employees, it is not meant to be disrespectful in anyway to anyone else who is a government employee of another nation.
Purchase, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

The best reason to stay at this property was convenience - it's right across the street from the aquarium and has easy access to I-95. Like many hotels I have tried in the area, it's on the pricey side for what it offers. Parking is sufficient and at least they don't charge for that.
Check-in was smooth. Our Hilton Gold status delivered free breakfast, although our coupon was not completed properly by the front desk staff, which would later make our waiter have to go to the desk himself. We received no upgrade, even though the hotel appeared to be half empty due to the approaching storm. There was a manager's reception with wine, beer, cheese and crudites, and I saw the manager go out of his way to get a guest a soft drink - this was a nice touch. He seemed like a nice man.
Our room was spacious but dated, and hardly luxurious, I have seen better at Hilton Garden Inns. The hotel did not provide the Peter Thomas Roth shower gel, which most Hiltons in the price category do. HVAC was noisy. Despite this, sleep quality was good.
Service at breakfast was good, but there is no omelet bar on the buffet. As Doubletrees and HGIs have them, I expect them at a full Hilton these days.
Check-out was also smooth.
There really is nothing special about this hotel. If you are in hhonors I recommend it, if not there are better alternatives.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonMystic, Rooms Division Manager at Hilton Mystic, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review, and for being very detailed in your critiques. Reviews like this are very much appreciated, and while I wish your experience would have been better than just average we can use the suggestions you have provided to improve guests’ satisfaction in the future. Thank you again, and we hope that you will come and see us again.
Bozeman, Montana, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We hosted an 80 person conference at this hotel. The Hilton Mystic is located in a wonderfully historic area. Insist that your attendees rent a car because there is a lot to do within 45 minutes of the venue. The town itself is quite small and doesn't have a lot to offer. The Hilton had a great staff that made our participants feel important. The senior sales manager was a joy to work with and organized our details very well and with great care. The banquet person flawlessly set up our meeting rooms every day. He was always available for questions and onsite assistance. The catering menu has a nice variety, presents beautifully, and is priced well. The participants loved the food in the meeting room as well as the food in the restaurant. Unfortunately, the property is run down and not properly maintained. When all was said and done, it was a great value for our meeting dollar and the service met our expectations. We will return if they ever remodel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
HiltonMystic, Rooms Division Manager at Hilton Mystic, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to submit your review of our hotel, I am happy to hear that everything went well with your function. I would like to also thank you for complimenting our staff, we know and recognize they do a great job but it is always nice to have guests make it a point include it their review. We are in need of a renovation, which is scheduled to happen this winter, the renovation will definitely add to service currently in place and we all can’t wait to welcome guests back to the hotel next year to see how they will like the changes that will have been made by this time next year.

Been to Hilton Mystic? Share your experiences!