“Clean Modern Hotel with Friendly Staff” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Mystic
Beccles, United Kingdom
“Clean Modern Hotel with Friendly Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Love the room, modern, clean, quiet, comfortable bed and VERY clean. The receptionist on late when I arrived was bubbly and happy - she cheered me up after a long arduous trip. A great ambassador.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
HiltonMystic, Rooms Division Manager at Hilton Mystic, responded to this review, July 21, 2012
Thank you for your review of our hotel and the kind words for our agent. I feel like we have a great staff here and trust that no matter what time you would have checked in you would received a warm welcome from all of our agents.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Excellent staff, from the front desk to the cleaning crew. Service with a smile goes a long way.
The room was spotless, with a nice fresh scent. I have stayed at other hotels in the area, which had a musty smell, even though everything appeared clean. Definitely not the case here.
The pool and vicinity were also well maintained.
The location is also perfect. Close to all local attractions.

Room Tip: When checking in, be sure to request a room on a floor where there are no tour groups or children on...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonMystic, Rooms Division Manager at Hilton Mystic, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Thank you very much for posting your review, we strive to provide great service across the board. Hope you will come back and visit soon!
CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

The hotel was in a good location (across from aquarium) and it was nice (but not outstanding) but for the amount of money I paid, I felt it was not worth the cost and would not stay here again. Despite the location, I still needed a car to drive around, so in the end location didn't matter so much, so if you have time to book in advance, seek elsewhere cheaper.

PROS:
Location
Very comfortable bed and pillows.
Plenty of free parking.
Small game room and indoor pool.
Restaurant onsite (but we didn't eat there).

CONS:
Price
4 Weddings going on day we arrived - I asked to stay on floor where wedding guests were not staying (they put us on 3rd floor and as soon as we got off elevator we were followed by wedding party couple) but we did not have problem with noise
Pool - kind of small, cloudy/dirty water and only 4 1/2 feet all around
Didn't see hot tub
Bathroom okay but expected a bit nicer for what I paid per night
No microwave or mini fridge in room - again for what I paid per night I expected this.

Another thing I noticed was day of check out I went down to get breakfast and maids were loudly knocking on doors yelling "housekeeping" with keycard in hand ready to open the door. It was around 9:30 am. Checkout was 11am. Maybe they were rooms people had already checked out of and they were just double-checking before they walked into the room to make sure no one was in it - at least I would hope that was the case.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing to stay with us, I am sorry to hear that you felt like the hotel was over priced. Although, you could definitely get by without a vehicle since we offer a free shuttle to and from downtown Mystic (1.5 miles away). The shuttle also travels to both the Mystic Amtrak station and the New London Amtrak station, so if you are able to get here by train there is no need for a car.

I do hope that you will come back and see us, we will be undergoing a multi-million dollar renovation this fall/winter that will revamp the entire hotel.

To answer your question regarding the housekeeping staff knocking on the doors; all employees of the hotel knock before entering any room even if they know it is vacant, so yes they were cleaning rooms that checked out early.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

We came here for a wedding and it's so nice! Nice room, nice pool, good service, very close to a beach and aquarium! It's so fancy!!! The food is delicious too!! I highly recommend everyone who is coming to mystic to stay here!!

• Stayed July 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to compliment the hotel. Hope you come back and see us again soon.
Athens, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

After two very postive experiences in Hilton Hotels (Houston and Shanghai), this one was a real disappointment. The room was average with a very noisy fan whenever the A/C came on. We left our room around 9 am and did not return until 4:45 pm and the room was not made up. I had to call the front desk (Housekeeping did not answer) and they sent someone up when we were out for dinner. Obviously the job was done in a hurry since the used coffee filter in the coffee maker was not removed and they had forgotten to leave a bath mat.

The hotel was also very cold in the middle of the summer. Either the thermostat did not work or they set it low. The moment we stepped out of our room into the hallway it was like entering a freezer. I was here for a conference and all of us were chilled to the bone during the sessions.

When my assistant first made the reservation, she forgot to mention that I was attending the conference to take advantage of the conference rate. The confirmation I received stated a rate of $279 per night! When we called back they promptly made the change to the conference rate of $149. However I cannot imagine who would pay $279 for a room that is basically a Best Western type room.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
, Rooms Division Manager at Hilton Mystic, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Thank you for submitting your review of our hotel, as I often mention in my responses I want our staff to provide excellent service at all times and I do apologize for your room not being cleaned appropriately. There is no excuse and if you have the time I'd love for you contact me directly so I could get more information from you which will help me determine who cleaned your room that afternoon.

We do keep the hotel cold only because someone maybe freezing while another person my be burning up in the same room. It's almost a no-win situation, but we feel like it is much easier for someone to put a light sweater on and be comfortable than it is for the person that is really hot to make adjustments...and nobody wants to see that ;)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Just checked in for a quick getaway.... The hotel is in dire need of a renovation. Rugs on the second floor are buckled in several spots and a tripping hazard.... On our last day before check out we left the room at 8:30 am and returned at 4pm to find our room still not cleaned... We came back with a nap in mind and at 4:30 we get the "housekeeping" knock. 4:30 pm...really?

The hilton is across the streetfrom the aquarium and old mystic village, but hyatt and holiday inn expeess are also close by.... I dont know what the walking distance thing is a big deal.... Its not like its a little village, there are no sidewalks and in the heat who wants to walk anyway... The seaport is a few miles down the road so if u want to see that 2 u need a car... Period...

Room was clean when we arrived but the Hyatt Place looked new and so did the holiday Inn express.... U less the privce difference is huge... Pay the extra for either the hyatt or the holiday inn.

Don't miss Abbotts Lobster and Fords Lobster... Fords is an outdoor rustic joint with amazingly chunky lobster bisque soup and an excellent lobster roll... abbotts lobster bisque fell flat, lacked flavor and chunks of lobster....

costellos for fried oysters and clams was awesome 2....

Overall the Hilton's need for imrpovement did not interfere with pur good time! Oh and get cupcakes across the way at the Bleu Squid... YUM!!!!

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
, Rooms Division Manager at Hilton Mystic, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time submit your review of our hotel. One quick thing about the rugs in the hallway, we are aware of the problem and we be undergoing to a multi-million dollar renovation this fall/winter that will revamp the entire hotel, which will include the carpet in the hallways. I hope that you will come back next year at this time to see the hotel before choosing to stay elsewhere.

I do apologize for your room not being cleaned until late afternoon, with our location we usually have anywhere from 2 to 5 wedding groups staying in our hotel every weekend and with that comes the requests for early check-ins. We do our best accommodate to early check-ins since they are traveling from long distances and need a room to get ready for the wedding they will be attending which is usually early afternoon. This is not to say we don’t value to the guests that are already in the hotel. We always respond to any guests that request their room be cleaned by a certain time or if they call and say they call will be heading for a few hours and would like their room cleaned.

Again, thank you for choosing to stay with us and I really do hope you will come back and see us next year when the renovations are complete.
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I spent one night at the Hilton Mystic for my daughter's third birthday in April 2012. I chose it because of the location - literally right across the street from the Mystic Aquarium -- I could have parked at the hotel and walked to the aquarium and then walked to dinner too. Check in was quick and efficient. I am a Hilton member and had requested extra towels and extra pillows when I made the reservation online. Both were waiting for me in the King room with whirlpool bath. At check-in, I requested sheets for the pull-out couch my daughter would be sleeping on, and they were delivered within minutes of my arrival. The room was very clean and I tend to be very picky on that subject. However, the large glass window in the bathroom was cracked and fixed with tape. Not a big deal to me as it was hidden behind the shades and most people probably wouldn't have noticed. I was slightly concerned that the same bathroom window was very low to the ground and opened quite wide with no child-proofing. A small child could easily fall out if it was accidentally left open, and we were on the top floor. The room was a long walk from the check-in area and a long walk back to the pool area. We utilized the pool when we got back from the aquarium, and it was a little murky looking, but my daughter and a bunch of other kids enjoyed it. The tile floor was very very slippery, my three-year-old could not walk on it without falling, and I had to carry her to the pool. There was a knife show at the hotel the night we stayed but even being at full capacity, I experienced no problems with noise. I was told by several people that I was "lucky" to get a room so far away, in the back corner, as it was very quiet. I did hear other people in the hotel comment on the amount of sound you could hear through the door, and I could hear the louder conversations coming through when I walked down the hallway. After my daughter went to sleep, I ordered room service, a piece of pie, which was delivered promptly although it was after 10 p.m.. The pie was so-so, and expensive, but it was a nice little late night snack. Otherwise, I did not eat at the hotel. We left early the next morning to go see Thomas the Train about an hour away, and my only "complaint" would be the really really long walk from the room to the car, which I had to make twice to get all my stuff packed. Overall, the hotel was perfect for a quick overnight stay for Mystic Aquarium and I am considering making this a yearly trip. I would recommend it as such.

Room Tip: I was told by several people the room I had chosen, the King with whirlpool tub, was a good choice a...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
, Rooms Divsion Manager at Hilton Mystic, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
I am very happy to hear that everything you asked for before your arrival was taken care of and all requests you had during your stay were promptly responded to. We strive to provide great service at all times, so thank you for recognizing that and including it in your review. I'm also glad to hear you are considering making this a yearly trip, hope to see you again next year.

Been to Hilton Mystic? Share your experiences!