“Bottom Line - Good Value & A Nice Experience” 4 of 5 stars

Days Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   55 Whitehall Ave., Mystic, CT 06355   |
Ranked #9 of 12 hotels in Mystic
Massapequa, New York
“Bottom Line - Good Value & A Nice Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Despite the so-so reviews from some previous guests, my girlfriend and I decided to stay here over the hectic 4th of July weekend. After looking at many of its competitors, the Days Inn offered a far lower price than many of the other chain hotels nearby, especially during a time when the rates are hiked up.

We had a very pleasant experience throughout the 4 nights we stayed there. The beds were new (and very comfortable) as well as the TVs. The best feature of the hotel was the outdoor pool. On two of the four days we were there, it was a great option for us after spending a good portion of the day in the sun. It is a really nice setup complete with lounge chairs, tables with umbrellas, and a bathroom conveniently outside in the fenced in pool area. The pool goes from 4-9 feet so it definitely had something for both adults and smaller children.

In addition, a nice feature was the continental breakfast from 6-10 AM. it had juice, coffee/tea, muffins, doughnuts, cereal yogurt, fruit, and a waffle maker. The woman who runs the continental breakfast is on her A-game. She was so pleasant and attentive to anything running low. She is definitely an asset to their staff.

The only con we could offer is that the female front desk agent we encountered during both check-in and check-out seemed either bored or hated her job. I found it unprofessional after she seemed to roll her eyes at a woman who came to the front desk simply because she forgot what room her family was staying in. Hospitality management did not seem to be her strongest suit. She could certainly learn a lesson or two from the woman running the continental breakfast or the male front desk agent we also encountered on one occasion.

Bottom line, we would stay here again. It was a great value and we had a really nice time.

Room Tip: A room away from the pool area and continental breakfast (located on the 2nd floor).
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

135 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Supply and demand would negate the price vs quality for this place. If I am paying over a certain amount for lodging then there are certain but minimum requirements. Let's just say the bathroom was not cleaned thoroughly and cleanliness in a hotel, motel or someone's home stems from here. Perhaps my party was not given a recently updated room because we booked through Hotwire at a"negotiated discount" but quite disappointed based on the price paid which was well over $100. The staff was very friendly upon check-in. I need to emphasize.... Supply and demand.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
North, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Very nice updated but older motel. Room was quiet and comfortable and the cost reasonable. Desk person was pleasant and helpful. Continental breakfast was good except for waffle which was somehow very chewy. Will stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Pepperell
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Not only are there new pillow top mattress, this hotel has all new flat screen TV's,new ownership. I stayed here several years back, not good...but I must say the improvements are showing. There outdoor pool is huge, 4' to 10' in depth which is very nice if there are several little children, there not coming out to far, sun on pool all day. Went in yesterday and it was cool but not bD after being at the beach where the water temps are still 54 degrees. The hotel is old and still needs a lot of work, but if your looking for a good rate and nice bed book here, close to rt.95 and rt.1 Rhode Island beaches, New London just over bridge. I love the Mystic area and this will be one of my new summer stays, yesterday's rate for seniors was only $50.00 great buy.

Room Tip: They do give a little breakfast, but I recommend finding another spot, like the Shack in Groton, Ct...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Canton, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Before starting to write this review, I had a look at the first three or four. I had to shake my head at how different guests at the same motel can have such widely divergent experiences. Why I wondered? I'm not sure, but perhaps this is it? I read the negative reviews on Tripadvisor and called the Days Inn reservations line directly instead of booking it completely online. I itemized what I expected: no mold, no smokey odor, not in the wing where pets are allowed. When I checked in, the clerk was very correct, read back to me my wishes, and I got exactly what I wanted and had asked for. The room looked neat, clean and-- as the desk clerk had mentioned-- had been recently renovated. The bed linens were clean, the four pillows comfortable, and there was little noise in the hallway. If you need a negative, the room coffee maker pot was MIA, but I had my coffee in the restaurant. The latter was average for an economy motel, which is to say mediocre. But to her credit, the employee there was nice enough to let me in even though I had shown up ten minutes early and she wasn't finished her setting up. Bottom line, I found it a very good value for what I was seeking and the little extra touches of service earned that fourth star. Ask and ye shall receive?

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Been to Days Inn? Share your experiences!