“First Mystic stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Mystic
New Jersey
“First Mystic stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

We picked this hotel for location but learned quickly that most hotels in Mystic are close to this location. Our room was large and clean on first floor. The water in tub could only be used as shower (stuck in that position). The water controls also seemed backwards? I would have preferred a room on second floor as we kept shades drawn as those pulling up could look right in. Overall, a good stay. There was a bus trip staying which made breakfast impossible but we were more inclined to check out some of the local eateries.

• Stayed November 2013
Kate K, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mystic, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Dear WHVikki,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your comments and review of your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Mystic. We are happy to read that you enjoyed your time with us. We hope that you and your family will visit us again in the future! Please let us know about your preferences and special requests in advance and we will gladly accommodate you.
Thank you again for the review!

Kate K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
East Meadow
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I am going to start this review with my negative point on the hotel, which is my most important thing we want in a hotel. We stayed on the third floor two rooms away from the elevator. The noise level inside the room with every movement around you was so loud. The walls are extremely thin. First, you can hear the elevator motor loud and clear every time it moved, and we were 2 rooms away. But that was not the main concern. You hear your neighbors talking. Not yelling just average talking. You can also hear their TVs. You can actually hear the baby on the floor below you when he cried. Also, this hotel is HUGE for bridal parties they told me. Well we experienced it last night. They were very loud and noisy and at least 5 rooms away. But in any other hotel you probably would not have heard them as much. You can hear everyone walking by and just talking, loud and clear. It was very annoying to say the least. The hotel was booked and we could not move our room. We did call down to the front desk at 1 am and they quieted down a bit. I have NEVER had to do that in any of my travels.

With that said.....the hotel is very clean, the rooms were very clean, linens smelled good, huge TV sets, Bathrooms very clean. Rooms are very large as well. The free breakfast was very good. Staff were nice also.

But, unfortunately, I have stayed at other hotels in Mystic and because of the noise level in the rooms we would not stay here again. One more concern is a security concern. We accidently left the room keys in the room. My husband went down to the front desk and told me they made two more keys with no questions asked about identification. Just asked the room number and gave him 2 keys.

Room Tip: find a room with the least amount of foot traffic in the hallways
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Kate K, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mystic, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Kathy G,

I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your time with us. We constantly work to ensure that every guest has a wonderful experience at our hotel and I am disappointed to hear that you were not left with such an impression.

While I can not take back your experience at the hotel, please be certain that I appreciate your honesty and will do everything in my power to ensure future guests do not have a similar visit.

Kate K
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was clean. The carpets could use a good cleaning but other than that it was fine. Pool was small but nice. Hot tub was great too. My only complaint is that the walls are very thin. Overall a good value for the money.

• Stayed November 2013
New York, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

We've stayed in Mystic several times over the past decade. This was the first time we chose to stay at the Holiday Inn Express on the hill overlooking Olde Mistick village. We stayed for two nights. The location was awesome and we even got discount tix for the Aquarium at the front desk. Oddly enough, they offered us a small bag of chips upon check-in.

The accommodations were sufficient, really neither here nor there. We stayed with our preschooler, and she enjoyed the pool. I thought it was kind of murky, but it was fine in the end. The room we requested was on the first floor near to the pool, so that made our pool excursion even easier. Our room was fairly clean, although the carpets probably could be replaced. The beds were clean and fresh, with "labeled" pillows - soft and firm. That was a nice touch, I thought. The temp in the room and in the hallways was rather cool. We kept our room at 78 degrees and felt fine, not hot.

The breakfast is why this gets 3 stars. I don't think the price we paid is cheap, so I expected something a little better than wet scrambled eggs and a strange pancake machine. Their "signature" cinnamon rolls were not even out on our first breakfast. On the second day, they had a bunch of them, but they were kind of doughy and hard to chew. The coffee was blah, not that great. I will say this - the attendant was very good at her job and stayed around to make sure every station was ok. I don't think it's her fault that the food was lacking.

So - if you need a clean-ish place with a pool to rest your head, try this hotel. Just don't expect an amazing breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for the first floor if you want easy access to the pool.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear librarygurl,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. We are pleased that you have noticed the location and cleanliness of our hotel. We are deeply sorry you found our breakfast less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Again, thank you for staying with us and providing us with an honest feedback.

Best regards,
Management Team
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

I really don't understand people's reviews sometimes. When people give a facility poor rating because they encountered someone having a bad day or there was a noisy family across the hallway...etc. Here is what I experienced at this Holiday Inn Express:

I reserved 3 room and all 3 rooms were VERY clean, well appointed and smelled clean. It was also VERY spacious. My brother stayed at the Marriott a few miles away and even he said that our rooms were bigger. The location was perfect! Unlike some of the other hotels I looked at, it sits on top of a hill, with pretty views and is located right near the old town and the aquarium.

The staff was very friendly and the kids loved the complimentary breakfast. If you are a platinum member at the Ritz, this hotel of course will not make you happy. If you are looking for a well appointed, clean, spacious hotel room at an excellent location, then this hotel is perfect.

Room Tip: Stay on the 3rd floor. This way, you wont have any family with kids running around upstairs.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Langhorne, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this Holiday Inn Express this past weekend for a convention we were going to close by. We arrived at the hotel around 11pm on Sunday night (10/20) and were greeted by a charming staff member at the front desk (sarcasm). It was an older lady who was crude and seemed like she just wanted to get us checked in so we would go away. The best part was when my husband asked "where is the closest parking to our room?" and she replied "honey, I don't go out to check which spaces are available in the parking lot." Like, seriously? Seriously. The other girl standing at the desk knew what we meant and quickly told us to park behind the building since that entrance was closer. The other weird thing was that none of the front desk seemed to have a proper uniform...

Other then that, the hotel was ok. Breakfast was stocked, but the omelet I think had meat in it, which I made the mistake of biting into and I'm a vegetarian. I thought hotels usually kept egg products meat free so there was not much there for me to eat. Room was decent and clean. Not sure if we would stay again if we go back to the area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mystic, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear traveldiva2585,

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

My girlfriend decided to surprise me with a trip to Mystic, CT for my birthday. We checked in around 3pm and were told that their would be a complimentary bottle of champagne in the fridge. When we opened the door to the room, we were immediately confronted with a very strong odor of marijuana. Housekeeping had even left the window open, bathroom fan on and the AC running, but the smell was still overwhelming. We went down to the front desk to see if another room was available. We told the desk clerk about the situation, and she wasn’t at all surprised. She informed us that there was a wedding party at the hotel the night before, and that she could smell it on every floor of the hotel that night. She went and checked the only other room available, and it too smelled strongly of marijuana. So she offered us $50 off of the room, but suggested that we speak to the manager in the AM as she would probably just comp the room. When we checked out in the morning, the manager couldn’t have had less sympathy for us. “We are a smoke free hotel, but we can’t control our guests.” she said. So we decided to email Holiday Inn directly, their reply “Oh my god! I’m sorry you had such a bad experience.”

So needless to say, this will be our last ever stay at any Holiday Inn Express. Oh ya, that complimentary bottle of champagne… didn’t exist. If I could give them a 0 out of 5, I would.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Kate K, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mystic, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear Tom C,

Thank you for taking time to review our property. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. We are sorry our hotel did not live up to your expectations and regret that you were not satisfied with the condition of the room you received and customer service.
Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Management Team

Been to Holiday Inn Express Mystic? Share your experiences!