“Not Impressed” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Mystic
Highland Lakes, New Jersey
“Not Impressed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Stayed over after a day at the aquarium. Got a room on the first floor right by the pool. Room was ok. somewhat over priced for a basic room. not super fancy. Sleeping in was impossible. Whomever was manning the front desk seemed to be slamming doors and drawers all night long and as soon as the sun was up the gardener must have made 800 trips to the hose faucet which was squeaky and right under our window. I was not impressed and will defiantly stay somewhere else next time.

Room Tip: First floor near lobby and pool was very loud early in the morning.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
SophieCB, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mystic, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

I'm sincerely sorry that your stay was not satisfactory. We apologies for the noise you encountered during your stay. These events are being evaluated and we are speaking to the parties involved.
We do hope you decide to try the Holiday Inn Express Mystic again when you come to visit the area. Please feel free to contact me at sophieb.hiexmystic@yahoo.com to speak further about your experience.

Warm Regards,
Sophie B.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Stayed here for a week at the end of Feb 2013 for a business trip.

Checkin - fast, efficient, friendly. The lady on the desk when I checked in was just lovely. It was sorely understaffed though, often no-one at the desk when I returned for the day, so any issues or just simple questions could not be answered.

Parking - didn't use it, but there was plenty, although some was not able to be used because of the piles of snow.

Room - right at the far end of the corridor near the laundry, away from the elevator, gym, etc. In general it was very quiet, except for the first night when I had the neighbours from hell. I mentioned it to reception the following day (mainly to find out if the offenders were still in the hotel), and they were most apologetic which was nice, but not their fault. Enormous room, huge bed, very comfortable. An extra blanket would have been nice, as I did get quite cold during the night. The heater was very noisy so I didn't want to run it. (aforementioned lack of staffing made it difficult to ask for an extra one too). Walls were a bit thin, I could hear the chap next door snoring.

Laundry - great - a washer and dryer, cost $1 each, change and soap powder was available at reception. Beware though, it was extremely hot even on low, my clothes were cooked. But a great facility!

The included breakfast was the one disappointment. Coffee was really ordinary. OJ was ok. There was a reasonable range of cereals in dispensers which you ate from polystyrene plates with plastic spoons. Small cartons of milk were available in the fridge, along with a nice range of tiny little yoghurt containers (really nice yoghurt). There was bread and a pancake maker, a selection of pastries and buns. Eggs and bacon really were diabolical though. Varied from scrambled to omelettes depending on the day; the omelettes were pre-cooked, reheated discs of rubber; the scrambled were overcooked and solid, bacon was totally nuked. Plastics knives and forks.

The area - bit hard to get around, didn't have a car as we were in a work group and had to rely on those who did. A couple of restaurants in walking distance which were very reasonable. Mystic Village was just across the road with some touristy traps.

Overall - I'd stay here again, because the room was so very good. Price was not great, given we had a corporate rate the Country Inn down the road was considerably cheaper (almost $30 a night less; although breakfast was about the same according to a co-worker). I'd rather pay for breakfast than have a poor quality complimentary breakfast.

Room Tip: Facing the front was nice, a pleasant outlook over the village.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
wakefield, ri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

I called the front desk and booked a room for my family. Two queen beds and one pullout couch( $106 per nght) as there are two adults and three children. When we arrived at the hotel, after a day at the Bronx Zoo, at approximately 8:15 pm we were tod they had our room with a king size bed and a pullout couch ($145 a night). This was not what I had reserved for our famiy of 5. The desk person offered to reduce the price and we decided to stay. We went to the room and the key did not work. The attendent came up we got it unlocked only to find no pullout couch, just a king size bed. Not acceptable for a family of 5 and certainly not what I reserved. We were offered a free night stay but not this night, there was not a room for us to stay. There was no offer to find us a room elsewere or help in any way. Just a free night some other time and was told to book it soon so we would not be forgotten.
It has been over a week since this event and I have not been contacted in any way from Hotel management. I am in the hospitality business and can not believe a hotel of this caliber has such poor customer satisfaction skills. I have never heard of this happening to anyone and am still irrate over how this happened and the lack of follw-up.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Kate K, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mystic, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear ellie1026,
On behalf of the Holiday Inn Express, I would like to express my deepest regrets that your previous stay was not up to the customer service standards we try to uphold. This matter is under review and the parties involved have been evaluated. We know taking these steps will ensure a better guest experience for future visits.
Please contact me at katek.hiexmystic@hotmail.com or Front Office Manager Sophie at sophieb.hiexmystic@yahoo.com to discuss your past stay at our hotel.
Kate K
new hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

The place was very clean & centrally located! Staff was friendly and helpful. Pool was on the smaller side but my son enjoyed it! Just a short walk across the street to mystic village. Mystic aquarium was also on the same street which we enjoyed. But I will review that separately.

• Stayed April 2013
Estes Park, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

I booked my jacuzzi room with reward points so I could relax after a rough week on the road. When I checked in, I noticed two wine glasses (yes, real glass) near the spa. Then, to my absolute surprise, I found a bottle of chilled Prosecco in the fridge. Can a week end any better??

The room was very, very clean with a pillow-top-type mattress. Flat screen tv considerably bigger than my 42" at home. Good lighting and abundant electrical outlets.

And the young woman at the front desk was a sweetie.

This one floats to the top of my best on-the-road-for-work hotels. I look forward to returning someday with my husband.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Kate K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mystic, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear mrssimptom,

Thank you so much for your great review!!
We are happy to get all feedback and comments from our Tripadvisor Community as we strive to continually improve our services and hospitality. I appreciate the 5 out of 5 and look forward to sharing your review with the Staff.
Hope we will see you soon at Holiday Inn Express!

Best regards,
Kate K
Glossop, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Stayed here for one night on our way from New York to Cape Cod. Although its on the outskirts of the old town, our stay here was good. The girl on reception was extremely helpful and friendly. Our room was larger than average and accommodated me and my family well. Having been travelling for over a week I used the laundry facilities althought only one washer and one dryer it served me well. The girl on reception also gave us a dining recommendation for the restaurant next door and a discount card for 10% off the bill. We took this recommendation and were not disappointed.

Prior Lake, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

This hotel just seems a bit neglected. As a frequent traveler I know what to look for, and this hotel had a few strikes against them from the start. As soon as I opened my mini fridge I found an old half-drank frozen bottle of soda from the previous guest. Behind one curtain was a used band aid. In our hallway, a few rooms down, there were 2 gummy bears that sat there our entire 5 night stay. The business office only had 1 pen to write with, the next day it was gone, so I had to ask for more pens, AND more printer paper. The wireless internet was very weak. The housekeeping carts were stationed at the end of the hallway the entire trip---they never were put away. I wasn't acknowledged as a PC member upon check in, and do not recall receiving a phone call asking if we found everything ok, or if there was anything else we needed.

This hotel is not for business travelers. If you are a family who's only goal is a place to sleep, free breakfast, and a pool, then this is the hotel for you. If you are a guest looking for a nice clean place to feel welcome and cared for, maybe pass on this one.

Note to the General Manager: If you want to achieve a higher level of guest satisfaction scores, look into starting with housekeeping. Those simple changes can ensure a more pleasant stay, and a happier guest.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Kate K, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mystic, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Cass S,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your stay and for being a Priority Club member, we value your loyalty to our hotels and brand.
On behalf of the Holiday Inn Express, we would like to express my deepest regrets that your previous stay was not up to the customer service standards we try to uphold. This matter is under review and the parties involved have been evaluated. We know taking these steps will ensure a better guest experience for future visits.
We truly appreciate the recommendations and hope that you will give us another chance.

Best regards,
Management Team

Been to Holiday Inn Express Mystic? Share your experiences!