“Couldn't have asked for more” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mermaid Inn of Mystic

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mystic
Mermaid Inn of Mystic
You added Mermaid Inn of Mystic to your Saves list
2 Broadway Avenue, Mystic, CT 06355   |
Ranked #3 of 12 Mystic B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Couldn't have asked for more”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Mermaid Inn over the Columbus Day long weekend and we had a wonderful experience. The B&B is even more charming than it appears in pictures, and you'll find it's within convenient walking distance of Mystic Seaport and a number of good restaurants (we really liked Bravo Bravo and the pub at the Captain Daniel Packer Inne).

We chose the Mermaid Room on the first floor, which worked out perfectly for us. The noise from folks eating breakfast in the dining room outside might be an issue if you're a light or late sleeper, but it didn't bother us in the slightest—and it was certainly well worth the convenience of having snacks and coffee waiting just outside our door.

Breakfast was delicious and generous (featuring what was probably the best blueberry waffle I've ever had), to say nothing of the fresh-baked cookies and other treats that were available throughout the day.

Josephine was a very gracious, totally nonintrusive hostess—she presented us with goodie bags for the drive home and was even kind enough to email me the recipe for her ridiculously good cookies. We'll definitely be back!

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Colchester, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2014

From the initial greeting to our departure, my husband I were made to feel special. This Inn was the icing on the cake. We were greeted by the owners daughter who was running the Inn for a few days. She made us feel so welcome and was very informative about events happening in the Mystic area and surrounding towns. Our room was very comfortable with crisp sheets and fresh flowers in a vase. In the morning we sat down to an incredible breakfast of omelets and Belgian waffles, fresh fruit, yogurt, coffee, tea, etc. We went about our day and upon our return in the early evening, we were again greeted warmly and relaxed with popcorn (which is made every night), and a nightcap in our room. When we checked out, we were given a goodie bag with freshly baked cookies. I think it was all the special touches that made our stay so INCREDIBLE. We will definitely make another weekend escape to the Mermaid Inn!!

Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2014

The Mermaid Inn at Mystic is a wonderful B&B. Charming house and hostess who has renovated this property to very high standards. Josephine is the perfect host, who cooks lovely breakfasts and leaves out cakes/cookies/pies for you to help yourself. Her parting gift of a goodie bag was greatly appreciated and I would recommend that any to stay there.

Room Tip: I believe that there are only 4 guest rooms and all the guests during my stay were enamoured with th...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2014

This was the last stop of our two week vacation to New England. This B&B was very comfortable and we felt right at home from the beginning of our one night stay (wished it was more). Josephine provided wonderful breakfasts and afternoon cookies. She even provided a parting goodie bag which proved very handy when we got slowed in NYC rush hour traffic. Gave great tips for restaurants and a spot to find sea glass on the beach. Her place is decorated with mermaids (I counted at least 37). In our short visit, it felt like we had known our hostess for years. Certainly would go back to this well located inn.

Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2014

The Mermaid Inn is an excellent place to stay if you're traveling to Mystic. My husband and I spent the weekend here, and our experience was nothing short of fabulous. The rooms, while on the small side, are so charming, beautifully decorated, and appointed with all the amenities than you could ever want or need. The house itself is gorgeous. There's a parlor with a piano as well as an enormous wrap-around porch and gazebo; the hubby and I enjoyed some wine and long conversation out on the porch swing well into the evening. The neighborhood is peaceful and charming but still very close (within easy walking distance) to all the downtown attractions as well as Mystic Seaport. The best part of all, though, is Josephine, who is as sweet and hospitable as can be and makes a killer breakfast (I'm not exaggerating when I say I've never had better granola or french toast in my life!). This will be our go-to place on the next trip to Mystic!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2014

What a place when I first arrived I was so impressed with the setting of this Bed and breakfast. I was continually impressed hour after hour. The rooms were so clean and the owner couldn't do enough for us. The first night was so relaxing and we were greeted with cookies that were to die for. The next morning we woke up to the most amazing breakfast that I am missing already. I can't get over how the owner was always concerned with any request that we had and made our stay not just a weekend get away but a euphoric experience that I am so looking forward to doing again. I highly recommend if you are looking for a place to stay don't look anywhere else.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Blue Room it was AWESOME
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2014

This review is hard for me because although my recent visit was nice, it was nothing as described by other reviewers. I was originally booked at another location, but changed to this B&B because of the reviews. My husband and I have stayed at approximately 30 B&Bs along the East Coast, so the rave reviews this got caught my attention. I'll start with the pros:

Yes, the breakfast was delicious, and, as a previous reviewer mentioned, the challah almond french toast was fantastic!
Yes. the inn is immaculately clean.
Yes. the inn is extremely convenient to downtown Mystic, the Mystic Seaport, Olde Mistick Village, and the highway if you are going out of town.
Yes. there were the extras of having the beverages in the fridge and fresh flowers in the room, and travel snacks, which was a nice touch.
Yes. the gazebo was wonderful, even at night while enjoying adult beverages. The area is very quiet.
The most important things to me when booking are convenience, cleanliness and good food.
But, I was looking for the extras that everyone else was talking about........and didn't get. I work in a service based business, so I was looking forward to the interaction with the owner that everyone else talked about and learning about Mystic and getting the scoop on what there is to do. We always have a great rapport with innkeepers, so when I hear about a stellar experience, I jump on it. Since our drive took longer than expected, I was looking forward to the fabulous baked good that everyone else said was available when they arrived.......and there was not one. We were greeted somewhat like we interrupted a busy moment when we paid, were given our key and the location of our room and that was it. I understand people having bad days, but we immediately felt uncomfortable. Although we were told how to order breakfast (which was a nice touch); we had to find the WiFi password on our own; we wanted to enjoy the firepit (after we found it), but no information was given as to whether firestarters were available; although there are brochures of all of the typical attractions in and around the area, we were not told about local events going on, but stumbled on a street fair where all the local restaurants had food AFTER we ate. I understand if the owner does not want to be bothered and that she wants to give us our space, but possibly a booklet of the basics would be nice so we don't feel uncomfortable tracking anyone down. Our room was EXTREMELY small. I was not happy about that, especially for the price. I did not know what room I was going to have. When I booked, I was told there was availability and paid my deposit. The only good thing about the room was that it was on the backside of the house and very quiet, but there was no room for anything.
We are used to interacting with the host/hostess at every place we stay and there was really no interaction here, at least not to the extent of other reviewers. Although there were other people staying there as well, we just constantly felt less than welcome.
I can't say whether I would or would not stay here again because I'm not sure I would even return to Mystic. However, despite the weirdness, we had an awesome weekend celebrating my birthday and enjoyed all of our activities.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Mermaid Inn of Mystic? Share your experiences!