“Great Weekend At Mermaid Inn” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mermaid Inn of Mystic

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mystic
Mermaid Inn of Mystic
You added Mermaid Inn of Mystic to your Saves list
2 Broadway Avenue, Mystic, CT 06355   |
Special Offer
Book Direct and Save!
Ranked #3 of 12 Mystic B&B and Inns
Brooklyn, New York
“Great Weekend At Mermaid Inn”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Mermaid Inn for the weekend an thoroughly enjoyed it. Josephine was flexible about our arrival time, and had fresh-baked cookies ready to greet us when we arrived. She had also decorated our room in celebration of my husband's birthday. The Inn is spotless, and the Blue Room was lovely. Josephine was present but unobtrusive throughout our stay. The location is wonderful- right near the water. We went for runs along the water and within a mile we passed Mystic seaport and many quaint shops and restaurants. We also visited Mohegan, which is about 30 minutes away. The only very small critique we had of the hospitality regards the menu. I don't eat white flour, sugar or white potatoes (I know, I'm a pain), but because it was my birthday weekend (as well as my husband's) he had particularly tried to find somewhere that could accommodate our dietary restrictions. Josephine said it was no problem, but really, the vast majority of what she served, I could not have. On the second day, neither of the breakfast options were workable for me and no alternative was available. No problem - I had yogurt, gluten free toast and fruit, more than enough- but I know my husband was a little disappointed that I ended up eating "around" the menu. Overall, we were absolutely thrilled and would be happy to return in the future :)

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I love Mystic, and our stay at the Mermaid Inn truly made our trip even more delightful and memorable. The home has a wonderful, warm feel, - comfortable, clean, and nicely appointed. Our host, Josephine, was gracious and generous with her time and delicious culinary treats. And, she even gave us a delicious care package upon leaving. Nothing could have been nicer!

Room Tip: All the rooms are comfortable, private, and quiet.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

The Mermaid Inn:
Amazing location steps from both South Street Seaport, downtown Mystic, and the Amtrak stop.
Wonderful breakfast that is delicious. The puff pastry was amazing.
Fresh popcorn and homemade baked cookies sitting in the kitchen for us to take our leisure along with coffee and tea.
Complimentary drinks in the room's refrigerator as well as some chocolates and Courvoisier.
A very gracious host who allowed us to borrow her own bicycles!
A very nice care package for our trip home.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

Started off with sherry and delicious homemade cookies. Our room was on the main floor next to the breakfast room, but was wonderfully quiet. The bed was confortable, the bathroom immaculately clean and the breakfast was extraordiary. The pear puff pastry was to die for. When we returned in the evening, coffee, tea and a homemade apple tort desert were available with brandy. We sat in the living room and enjoyed the ambiance and books with our night cap. We had a wonderful stay and the care package Josephine made for us was a highlight for the drive.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

We've stayed at least a dozen B&Bs now in New England and this is still the best! Bed was super comfy, afternoon tea delicious and breakfast truly yummy-the granola is sensational! Could not have been any better, thank you so much

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We recently stayed in the Mermaid Inn in Mystic, CT, and it is the best B & B we ever visited. When we arrived, there was a fresh apple pie as well as homemade chocolate chip cookies sitting on the table in the dining area, just there for guests to eat. It was like that both days of our visit - so wonderful! On top of that, when we left, we were sent off with a bag containing 2 bottles of water, apples and more chocolate chip cookies. This B & B goes above and beyond to provide guests with a comfortable and memorable experience.

Room Tip: The Mermaid Room is right next to the dining area, which others have identified as a negative factor...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Congers, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a short weekend trip to Mystic for our anniversary, and really enjoyed our time with Josephine at the Mermaid Inn. Overall, the building is well-kept and has a pleasant atmosphere, but it's the breakfasts that really make this place special.

LOCATION: Perfectly situated within walking distance between downtown Mystic in one direction, and the Mystic Seaport in the other, we were pleasantly pleased to be able to leave our car at the Inn parking lot and walk nearly everywhere for the weekend.

ROOM: We stayed in the Ivory Room, which was cleanly and crisply decorated with ivory striped paint on the walls. Thankfully, the room wasn't overdone in a tacky mermaid theme, nor did I feel like I was staying at my grandmother's house. Both the room and the bathroom were impeccably clean (I even walked barefoot -- something I don't usually do in hotels). The Ivory Room has it's own bathroom, but it's located just outside of the room in the common hallway. This gets kind of annoying, having to dress and put on a robe (which was provided, by the way) each time you need to enter the bathroom, but for a weekend, it was doable. The bed was comfortable, but the pillows could have used an upgrade. The bathroom was spacious and updated, and basic toiletries (soap, shampoo, eye makeup remover, hair dryer) were provided. The in-room refrigerator was stocked with complementary water and sodas, and provided a convenient place for restaurant leftovers.

BREAKFAST: Breakfast is where this place really shines! Josephine is a wonderful cook and host, and everything that we ate was just really great. Breakfast orders are taken the evening before by signing up on a sheet in the breakfast room, and three courses are the norm. The first course consisted of yogurt and homemade granola (so tasty), followed by a baked apple tart, and finished with an omlette and sausages. The next morning, we had fresh berries, and my husband had delicious french toast stuffed with apples, and I had waffles. Upon making a reservation at the inn, Josephine asked if either of us had any food allergies or restrictions, and she so graciously accommodated my guten- and dairy-free diet with gluten-free waffles, omlettes, and even offered me soy yogurt.

TEA SERVICE: We were welcomed to the inn each time by the smell of freshly baked goods. Josephine leaves an assortment of fresh-baked goods (cookies, crostada), organic fruit and popcorn on the table in the breakfast room for guests to enjoy, and they were absolutely perfect for that afternoon snack, or sweet bite before bed. My husband loved the cookies so much that HE requested the recipe (I wonder if that means he'll bake them himself, too?!?), which Josephine is happy to share via e-mail. Tea and coffee service is also always available downstairs via a Kuerig machine and electric tea kettle.

VALUE: My only disappointment, if you could call it that, was that the price of the Ivory room, with the hall bathroom, was the same price as the other rooms with en suite bathrooms. We've stayed in other inns where this was the case, but I was surprised that this time, the price of the room was not discounted because of this inconvenience, as it is in other places. At $205 per night plus tax, I would have liked to have a bathroom in my room. We did know this, however, at the time of booking, and decided to go with it anyway since this was the last room available for that weekend. The next time, I would change my plans to have a room with the en suite bathroom.

SPECIAL TOUCHES: Josephine has truly made every effort to accommodate guests in every way you could think of. From leaving umbrellas at the front door for your use on rainy days, to having a DVD library downstairs that you are welcome to use, this is truly what staying at a bed and breakfast should be like. And, if you have some time, it's interesting to see the photos that Josephine has left in white binders near the front door of the building under it's extensive renovation. Lastly, as a send off, every guest leaves with a goodie bag consisting of water bottles, cookies and apples -- just like mom would do!

All in all, this is a great place for a relaxing retreat. I wouldn't hesitate to return during my next trip to Mystic.

Room Tip: Opt for one of the 3 rooms with the en suite bathroom.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Mermaid Inn of Mystic? Share your experiences!