“Beautiful, clean, friendly, PERFECT.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mermaid Inn of Mystic

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mystic
Mermaid Inn of Mystic
2 Broadway Avenue, Mystic, CT 06355   |
Special Offer
Book Direct and Save!
Ranked #2 of 13 Mystic B&B and Inns
Hicksville, New York
“Beautiful, clean, friendly, PERFECT.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

My boyfriend and I are Mystic seaport freaks. We love the old time feel of the town. The aura we get from the people and shops is just great. It's a perfect getaway. We stayed at the Mermaid Inn for his birthday (off season, in February). Prior to our stay, I had emailed Josephine, the owner and chef of the Inn. I told her we would be arriving late, probably around 8 or 9pm. Without hesitation, she booked our reservation. From the moment we walked on the porch, we knew it would be a wonderful stay. There were keys in the mailbox with a note for us, stating to make ourselves at home and fill out our breakfast choices for the morning. As soon as we unlocked the door, we were in awe of how beautiful the Inn is. There is a very quaint sitting room, with a grand piano and a fireplace. The decor was perfectly fitting, and the menu for breakfast made my mouth water. Our room (The Ivory Room) was ABSOLUTELY gorgeous. With white and champagne decor, it was so clean and crisp. The room is stocked with Brandy and a mini fridge. The rooms are small, but extremely comfortable. It reminded me of home. The Ivory room is the only room with a detached bathroom, which is no problem because it is literally nextdoor. It's also absolutely lovely (and clean!). In the morning, we went down around 9:30 for breakfast. An assortment of teas and fresh yogurt/homemade granola was awaiting us. The yogurt was the best I have ever had, and the granola was deliciously sweet. We had a four-course breakfast, cooked to order by Josephine. She came out with our breakfast and introduced herself. She is so pleasant, and her cooking skills are excellent. All in all, the inn was an absolutely beautiful and relaxing place to stay, and I'm sure that it would be even more lovely in the summer season. There is a beautiful view of the Mystic river from the porch. On nice days, Josephine serves her breakfast outside. Pictures will be posted so I can give the review real meaning!

Room Tip: Ivory room has detached bath, the mermaid room is the only one on the ground level (next to dining a...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

153 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Bronxville, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Lovely Mystic can get very crowded with tourists, so finding lodging that offers both quiet and proximity to the shops and restaurants is not easy. The Mermaid Inn, just two blocks from the water and the shops, is a wonderful B & B. Although the rooms are small, the beds are comfortable, the plumbing up-to-date, and the grounds lovely. Best of all, the breakfasts (which you order the night before) are among the very best we've ever had. Owner and chef, Josephine, does everything she can to make a stay delightful, including providing fresh-baked cookies in the afternoon, and giving a thoughtful take-home bag with bottled water, fresh fruit and cookies when you depart.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

The excellent reviews were right.
Thank goodness for Trip Advisor- we've not been disappointed yet.
Josephine has a gift for hospitality - and does it right.
You won't be disappointed.
Great breakfast- great location- nice rooms and bathrooms.
Our whole family took over the upstairs- it was fun, and downright homey.
Just what we needed after a vacation of sterile hotels.

Room Tip: we thought all the upstairs rooms were good Don't know about the downstairs rooms but assume th...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

I stayed at the Mermaid Inn for a long weekend in Mystic to celebrate a friend's 40th birthday. The Mermaid Inn was lovely, as other reviews mentioned it is a house but a lovely house at that. The room I stayed in was the Mermaid Room which was off the dining area and the kitchen (although near the main area) I had no problem with noise. The breakfast was awesome. The homemade cuisine was perfect, the homemade granola was excellent. Overall I definitely would recommend the Mermaid Inn to friends and family.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Tallahassee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

We were literally across the street from the water -- and a short walk to the Mystic Seaport Museum. The very lovely Mermaid Inn is nestled in between several beautiful old New England neighborhoods -- quiet tree lined streets prolific with colorful flowers and luscious greenery. The wicker swing on the front porch pulls you to sit back and inhale the fresh sea breeze -- you only get up when you smell Josephine's unbelievably delicious homemade cookies cooling on a rack! It's a place to be spoiled -- with nostalgic New England seaport ambience, with European chocolates, brandy, and a mini fridge stocked with complimentary waters and sodas in your room -- and a warm surprise like homemade apple torte in the evening and always fresh popcorn! There's an all day long invitation to an assortment of teas and coffees, and some special goodie, oh, and would you like some sherry? Help yourself. We had such a relaxing stay in this cozy B & B where magical mermaids are every where. Thank you again Josephine for everything! It was truly memorable.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Blue Room on the second floor -- it was a little larger than the other rooms -- sec...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
New Haven, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

I'm so thankful I chose the Mermaid Inn to stay this past weekend. Let me begin by saying I'm a tough critic, so to give it an "excellent" rating is really saying something. The night I arrived I found a bottle of wine, chocolates, and fresh flowers prepared on my dresser. In the morning Josephine was very helpful answering any questions I threw out while eating the delicious breakfast she prepared. Literally, the yogurt and granola was the best I have ever had. But, the quality of all the food she served was very high. As far as I could tell, most everything was all-natural/organic/free-range/etc. When taking a retreat in a quaint, historic, sleepy town like Mystic, it's very important to me to make sure I find accommodations that cater to relaxation and hanging out at that location much of the time if I so desire. My first full day at the Inn started with rain and ended with rain. But thanks to my location, I just enjoyed sitting and reading on the wrap around porch and stealing glances at the beautiful river a block away. It was exactly what I needed at the time. When the rain did let up that day, I took the very short and scenic walk into the hub of town (prob 3-4 blocks away). The next day when I wanted to go for a bike ride but was crunched for time, Josephine was very kind and let me borrow her bike! It was so nice. These are just a few of the reasons I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and highly recommend it to you!

Room Tip: My room was the only one downstairs. The "Mermaid Room". Though it was right next to the...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Delray Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

I was breathtaken with the pristine charm of the Mermaid Inn from the moment we drove up. With a gracious welcoming smile, Josephine, the owner, led us to a beautiful Victorian dining room. Her table was a groaning board of delicacies. Josephine's home- made "world renowned" cookies, luscious fruit, home made trail mix, every kind of tea imagineable, coffee and wine. Josephine, our hostess, has the unique talent of making the house itself smile at us.
There were many touches to make us feel comfortable and relaxed,..bedrooms look like a picture in a locket, and COMFORTABLE, as well as murally magnificent. While we were there, guests who'd come from a wedding in Mystic were enjoying themselves in the lovely living room. They'd brought their friends back at Josephine's encouragement! We parked the car and walked to town, to the Seaport, to antique shops. All very close by. When we left, Josephine gave us a "goody bag," with bottles of Evian water,and her specialty,..the cookies and trail mix, and fruit for our drive home. I'm sighing remembering. Our three days felt like a three week vacation from all of the Mermaid Inn's T.L.C.
Fresh flowers abound, the porch Gazebo was delightful, and the murals

Room Tip: Each room is beautiful, you can't go wrong, New gorgeous bathrooms in each. If you're a nigh...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Mermaid Inn of Mystic? Share your experiences!