“Best Chinese Food in the Area” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 82 Restaurants in Mystic
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Chinese, Japanese
Good for: Romantic, Entertaining clients, Large groups, Dining on a budget, Families with children, Doing business, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
North Stonington, Connecticut
“Best Chinese Food in the Area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Their presentation is beautiful.. but what good is a presentation without great taste? Pecking Tokyo has both. The food is fabulous and even if you think you don't like Sushi, try it here. Its fabulous! How lucky I am to live nearby!

• Visited January 2013

Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany
“Long time, No sushi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

This restaurant was exactly what my girlfriend and I were looking for when we were craving sushi. The town in Germany that I live in is landlocked and the sushi is very basic. We went to Peking Tokyo on a whim and it was so good. The Green River Roll and the specials were excellent. Get your sushi here! Thanks Peking Tokyo!

• Visited November 2012
Utrecht, The Netherlands
“Excellent - just a few notes if you're going.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

On a windy, cold night, I spent half an hour circling the area before finally locating this fabulous restaurant. It's at the corner of a strip mall that also houses a Van Heusen store and a few others - if you're looking for it, turn into the Starbucks lot and go from there.
The food could not have been better. Well, I confess the ikura sushi didn't hold a candle to Matsuhisa's - but then again, even in Japan I've rarely had ikura that good.
The presentation at this place is stunning, best I've ever seen. And it's without pretension, which is usually the problem. Very much a real fusion of Japanese "wabi sabi" and West Coast pretty. But it's the food I'd return for. The salmon was so fresh, it melted on my tongue. The rice was cooked just right. The eel, yellowtail, white tuna, all perfect.
I had their current special roll and after that, I'd try any roll they recommended.
The seaweed salad was average - the kind that comes in bulk - but I wasn't really there for that.
The person I was with doesn't like sushi (the fool!), so he ordered spareribs and the Buddha's Feast. The ribs were nice and large, lots of meat, though if I was getting them I'd ask for less sauce, since the sweetness obscured the flavor somewhat. The Buddha's Feast was beautiful, with nice chunks of fresh vegetables that hadn't been overcooked, and a fair amount of tofu to boot. The sauce didn't taste of cornstarch. And the rice was very different from the sushi rice - as it should be!
I would recommend without hesitation, and I thank the Hyatt hotel clerk who recommended this to me!

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Groton, Connecticut
“Finally, a good Chinese/Japanese restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Low and behold, I have finally found a good Chinese/Japanese restaurant on this side of Connecticut. After reading other reviews of this place, my family and I decided to see what all the fuss was about. This restaurant is tucked in the corner of a small shopping plaza. Not much to look at from the outside, but as soon as you walk in WOW. The ambiance was magnificent. The staff was very attentive and friendly. They have a very extensive menu, sure to please anyone. My son and I ordered Lo Mein, while my wife ordered sashimi. We were all very pleased w/ the presentation, and taste of our choices. We will definitely be coming back to Johnny's.

• Visited October 2012
Noank, Connecticut
“Best sushi choices in town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Like this place better than Go Fish as there are more sushi options here. Not as good as you would find in large cities but it does the job when you are craving sushi. Also serve both Chinese and Japanese dishes, both of which are excellent.

Visited October 2012