“A splendid surprise-a new type of "dish"!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 82 Restaurants in Mystic
Cuisines: Italian, American
Ellicott City, Maryland
“A splendid surprise-a new type of "dish"!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

What a wonderful meal we had when we wandered in by chance on Memorial Day evening! It was early so no problem being seated-couldn't make up our minds on a choice then noticed "Hot Rocks" on menu-the restaurant basically brings a very high-heat slab of rock to the table on a tray-the type of meal-seafood or chicken or beef, is placed on top and the steaming heat commences cooking as the rock is delivered to the table! One then takes a fork and turns the food over , like cooking on a grill, and it is fun, fresh and so very flavorful-we just loved the whole experience. The choice I made was seafood-I was given generous protions of fish, calamari, shrimp, scallops and lobster to "cook" --the pieces seared perfectly and cooked just right-I was delighted and so was my husband as he flipped slim chicken tenderloins over which had been Cajun-rubbed before cooking.
Our waitress was excellent-friendly, helpful and efficient-our table was near the front so we enjoyed the activity on a beautiful evening--what a perfect meal and visit!

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Trumbull
“Cozy Vibe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

Great ambience & service. Did not love the Sicilian penne with sausage & broccoli rabe but would love to return & try something different next time. Definitely great for couples & friends, not appropriate for kids.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, New Hampshire
“Great Bistro”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

A very nice place although a bit overcrowded. Even when crowded, it still feels cozy and private. Food was very good, service was exceptional. In fact, I wish I had our waitresses name to pass on to others. She was absolutely outstanding. Very easy to find, just barely off the main drag near the bridge. Even as tourists, we were treated very warmly. This is one place I feel truly fits the description of a bistro. Well worth a visit if you're in the area.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Brewster, New York
“Best Meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Far and away our best dining experience all weekend. We got there at 5:45pm so we were able to be seated. Our server was awesome, so friendly and knowledgeable and not all bothered by our slight indecisiveness. We took advantage of the Restaurant Week deals and we were not disappointed. The appetizers were small and the entrees a bit small also but they were delicious. Wish we had gone there for every meal and not waited until our last night in town. We will definitely be back when we return to the area.

Visited November 2013
Stamford, Connecticut
“Its okay Italian food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Well I had no clue they were the same owners of the Ancient Mariner(see my review) which I enjoyed much better at lunchtime.
It was a busy night, they had us wait a long time waitress took forever for even some bread for the table. I understand busy night, slow service. My husband had the steamed clams that smelled and tasted horrible. I had a crab cake it was okay nothing special. I had the shrimp scampi ,the shrimp were a bit tough but I was starving so I ate it anyhow. I forgot what my husband had he said it was okay.
I also want to point out if you sit by the open window, ciggy smoke and their hot rock smoky entree permeates the room inside restaurant. We were not near the window but you can still smell it through open window. They did have a cool mural on the back wall that was interesting. Other than that, I know good Italian food, this wasn't it. It was okay maybe we went on a night they weren't on the A game. I wasn't wowed by this place, quite disappointed actually.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Been to AJ's Bistro? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage AJ's Bistro, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.