“A Good Family Hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Seaport Motor Inn

Seaport Motor Inn
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mystic
Seaport Motor Inn
Save Saved
You added Seaport Motor Inn to your Saves list
6 Coogan Boulevard, Route 27, Mystic, CT 06355   |
Ranked #13 of 13 Hotels in Mystic
“A Good Family Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2005

I was very nervous when booking this hotel due to the negative reviews but decided to take a chance anyway since the accomodations matched our family's needs and were less expensive than any other hotel in the area.

My husband and I brought my parents and my 3 year old daughter and the hotel room was large enough to accomodate us all. In our suite there were 2 queens and a pull out sofa as well as a microwave and small fridge.

The rooms were very clean during our visit and the staff very helpful and courteous. Upon check in our AAA discount had not been issued, and the manager apologized and applied it to both nights rather than just the one we had been quoted.

The continental breakfast was not the best but did have bagels, cereal and some muffins. Good enough to hold everyone over till lunch.

The one complaint that we did have which has been mentioned many times is the pool. It is small which isn't such a problem but the level of chlorine smell is unbearable. When we opened the door to the pool area our eyes immediately began to sting. There were many families enjoying themselves but it scared me to subject my 3 year olds sensitive skin to those chemicals.

We would definitely use this hotel again but make sure if you decide to stay that you are getting the new section. We drove around the back and would not have wanted to stay at the old motor lodge. To avoid any confusion we even requested a written confirmation to make sure there would be no problems upon arrival and we received it in the mail within a couple of days.

• Stayed May 2005

Solo
Business
New England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2005

I have learned my lesson to read all reviews before booking as I went by the online picture which is a SCAM!!!

We had the same experience as the other reviewers. We thought we would be in the only building pictured on the website - but ended up in the ugly sister building "out back". The "out back" building was nasty and the disappointment on my family's face was very clear. The room was old/dated/musty/dirty. There was not even a clock in the room let alone a hairdryer (that was stated on the amenities).

I'm sure the new building is lovely - however, We will never take the chance again.

These people are crooks and the Better Business Bureau should be alerted to their fraudulent practices.

There are plenty of other close hotels right in Mystic
Walking distance is exaggerated - you can get around very easily by car and the Seaport is quite a ride. Parking is plentiful and free everywhere. Don't base your stay on proximity - everything is relatively close.

• Stayed April 2005
Oakville,CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2005

Had stayed at Seaport Inn in the late 1990's prior to the renovations.
We had a room at that time in the 'motel' in the back. The room was nothing special, no frills, and I believe it was March at that time also so there were no insects that I recall. It wasn't the best, but wasn't the worst either.
Decided to get away this past weekend (Easter 2005). Booked a room via Yahoo late Thursday evening 3/24/05. Arrived at the Seaport Inn Friday afternoon, front desk had no record of the booking, but I had my printed confirmation. No problem, got the type of room I requested including the AAA discount. The room - king bed studio - was fine. It was clean, bathroom was spotless, a/c heating unit worked fine but as usual would kick in and wake me up during the night(light sleeper). Plenty of soap,shampoo,towels etc.. Sleeper couch that was great for sitting on and watching tv instead of sitting in bed.
Mini fridge and microwave worked fine, no coffeemaker. They serve coffee and a continental breakfast each morning (cereal,muffins,juice),not bad if that's what you like(not for us). Had the coffee the first morning but opted to go to Starbucks the 2nd morning(1/2 minute ride).No phone book in room,no restaurant listings or 'things to do', lucky we had our laptop for area info(good response time using Ethernet cable),maybe they put the area info stuff in the room during high season. No channel guide for the TV like most hotels have. Pen but no scratch pad to write something on.
Extra pillows but no extra blankets... closet is not very deep and has no doors. Wasn't impressed with the pool area. Yes it is indoors and it may be new and look nice but to me it was hardly a pool,probably 15x15 or in that range. Definitely not a lap pool. Didn't bother going in. Great to take your small children in. Strong chlorine smell when you walk into lobby. There is also a hot tub(I believe) in the pool area but I didn't walk over to it to check it out.Fitness room on 2nd floor had a lifecycle, treadmill and small universal(?) weight set.
Really no major complaints but still can use some of the stuff I mentioned.
I would say if you plan on staying here, definitely request the newly renovated front building and be specific that you do not want to end up in the rear building. It's not a bad place if you're passing through or just getting away like we did. You can walk across the street to the Mystic Village and Mystic Aquarium. 'Go Fish' (directly across the street) is a good seafood restaurant with a Sushi area, and the Sushi is GOOD! However, we've been there many times so we drove around and found S & P Oyster Company(restaurant), about a 5 minute drive. Very good food,reasonable prices, right on the water, had a great dinner! I'd stay at the Seaport Inn in a clinch, but I'll probably try the Hilton or Mariott next time right in the same vicinity. All in all, it really wasn't a bad place to stay.

• Stayed July 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2004

What a horrible experience. The hotel looks great from the road and online booking sites but what you get is nothing like it. In fact it is a total bait and switch. If only we had a chance to see the backside of the building. The new building is built on top of a hill and appears to be this large nice hotel. What you see when you drive around to the back (where you find out your room really is) is the building is only half a hotel. The front looks like it should be full size by the line of the roof and such, but it is a trick because the roof in back cuts down and there are no rooms there. What you really get is a building out back, not connected that is at least 40 years old. It is a motel format and if you can believe this, does not even have a clock in the room. We asked for a wake up call and none came. The room itself was dirty and had not been updated since it was built. I would never stay here again and you shouldn't either. I will be following up with the BBB because it is one thing to go in knowing what you get and another to be told one thing and receive another.

• Stayed October 2004
Omaha
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2004

I cannot begin to describe how terrible our experience was at this hotel but I'll give it my best shot. We booked though an on-line booking engine where pictures were displayed of the hotel's facade and the description stated that it was brand new with all brand new rooms. What a joke!! When we got there, they immediately made us pay for the entire stay upfront which we thought was strange but we went ahead and let them charge up our credit card. We were then given keys and sent on our way. When we went to the room number within the hotel, we discovered that the door had a card entrance and there wasn't a keyhole. Strange we thought and when we inquired at the front desk, we were told that "our room" was out back. We were forced to go outside and walk around the entire hotel to the horrendous nightmare that was completely hidden from the road and not present in any of the on-line pictuires. It was a delapitated MOTEL that was at least thirty to forty years old. The rooms were all on the outside of the structure and what awaited us was completely disgusting. While we requested a non-smoking room, this one was completely saturated with the stench of smoke and other various things I don't want to think about. Everything within the room from the bed to the tables to the sink to the bathroom was old, broken, chipped and soiled. The carpet was stained as were the sheets. We had to request towels as there were none in the room and were told that we would need to pick them up ourselves since they didn't deliver to "out back". We had also requested a rollaway through our booking engine but were told that they only provided this service to those staying within the hotel. We then requested a wake-up call since we were running a marathon in East Lyme the following day and it was crucial that we woke up in time. We of course did not get the call. Thankfully, my friend set his cell phone just in case. When I told them at the front desk that we did not get our wake up call, the void sitting behind the front desk simply looked at me and shrugged without saying a word. While I have stayed at some dives in my days as a broke college student or while traveling to places where nothing else is available, I at least know what I was getting and am not paying more than it's worth!! Our room at the Seaport Inn, if it can be called this, was the same price as the rooms within the hotel portion!! To pay $140 for a dump so bad we wore our fleece and wool socks to bed so as to separate ourselves from the soiled sheets and bedding is beyond comprehension!! The fact that the "hidden motel out back" is never mentioned in the booking engines and is not even visible fromt he road says it all. They are CLEARLY trying to misrepresent, cheat and rip-off the poor souls who get stuck "out back". Never in all my life have I stayed at a place so clearly eager to bait and switch, deceive and rip me off. Do not stay at the Seaport Inn!! It would be better to stay in your car if there is no other alternative. At least your car would not stink of body fluids and be stained with them too! Avoid at all costs!!!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2004

At first glance, it looked pretty ok. And then I noticed the skuzzy washcloth hanging over the shower curtain rod that had been there from I don't know how many guests ago (it stayed for 3 days during my stay until I finally whipped it down to the floor with a different towel - hey, I wasn't going to touch it!!!). My room was never vacuumed and neither were the hallways. And there was also SO much lint and filth on the carpet in the fitness room. On my last day there, I found a 1/2 inch black beetle crawling around on the floor by my bed. A co-worker staying in another room on a different floor had ants in her room and asked to be moved. My hairdryer was hanging onto the wall by one screw. I stayed from Monday thru Friday (business) and I have to say, I'll never stay there again.

Wayne, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2004

We spent two nights at the Seaport Inn (9/16-9/18/2004) and it's basically a brand new hotel. You can see the prior hotel attached to one side and in a separate wing in the back (where they acutally will rent rooms if you dare for a real discount - but I wouldn't consider it). The lobby is huge and nicely laid out. The continental breakfast was adequate (large muffins, bagels, cereal, juices, and coffee). The "tip cup" with a grungy note attached to it was kind of tacky, though. Although they have a beautiful new indoor pool and spa area, I warn you that the "heated" pool was very cold, and the spa was supercharged with chlorine, so much that it burned our eyes. I don't think it was healthy to be in. The rooms are nicely furnished, but they didn't have a coffee maker (although there was a fridge and micro). They only gave us one bar of soap, so you had to share it between sink and shower. The shower had that nice curved bar so that the curtain is not grabbing onto you while you shower. What I found NOT acceptable was the housekeeping. Our room started out (when we arrived) with various bits of debris on the carpet which were NEVER vacuumed up during our stay. Same for the hallway. I didn't even see a vacuum on the housekeeping cart. Also, they either turned off or haven't fixed the AC in the 3rd floor hallway and the elevator - like a sauna! Lastly, when we checked out they had a rate in their computer different than what I booked and confirmed the day before so BE SURE to keep a record of what you book and agreed to pay.

It's a shame; this hotel could be really perfect for Mystic but it seems like they ran out of money and have scrimped on some of details. They had better clean up their act soon (pun intended) or repeat guests will not be forthcoming.

Been to Seaport Motor Inn? Share your experiences!