“Econolodge Not Recommended” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Mystic
long island
“Econolodge Not Recommended”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2007

I would not recommend this hotel. Upon entering the room we all immediately noticed an odor caused by dampness. There were also some kind of flying bugs in the room. The bathroom seemed clean enough until we noticed the shower curtain was dirty. The blankets were very thin and seemed to be very old. The desk manager seemed very disinterested when we asked questions about the area. We paid $99.00 for the night and I could not wait to leave this hotel.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Kensington, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2007

We had two rooms and both were fine. New carpet and clean. Most of the fixtures were not new - but like I said were clean. We went early for the breakfast and there was a good selection of danishes, muffins and donuts - and the usual cereal. My kids loved the pool and
after a day in the car getting there it was a good way to get the jiggles out.

The front desk staff was friendly and in all it was a pleasent
surprise after the bad reviews I had read. Walking distance to Mystic
Aquarium.

• Liked — Pool
  • Disliked — Small Breakfast room
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
Maplewood, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2007

As the title states, you certainly get what you pay for - but I mean that in a good way. The Econo-Lodge Mystic is totally fine for the price you pay. The room was very clean but had a few, typical, character flaws of budget digs: cheap scratchy towels, a cigarette burn in the blanket and an unrepaired indentation in the wall. But again, for around $100 in the height of summer, it was a totally fine place to stay. Lobby was average, outdoor pool was clean but very weathered furniture. In fact, the outdoors in general could use some sprucing up. I wouldn't spend a week here but a couple nights, not a problem. Oh and the staff was totally average...no problems but no enthusiasm either.

It is walkable (about a half mile or so) to the actual Mystic seaport museum and, really, you could walk to downtown as well (about 2 miles but scenic). You basically share a parking lot with Friendly's and Old Mystic Village (an attempt at quaint shopping village) is right across the street.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Hagerstown, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2007

Front desk service was very warm and helpful, but most rooms had either smoke smell, or just smelled very damp. (We had 10 rooms) Breakfast consisted of tiny cups for OJ, and mini blueberry muffins. Nothing more.

Location is great if your going to Mystic Seaport, and there is nice shopping within easy walking distance.

• Liked — Location and staff friendliness
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed April 2006
pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2007

Nice hotel for the price. It was clean. The carpet was brand new in our room. Alright place. The two young gentlemen at the front desk were extremely friendly, helpful and very accomodating. Thank you.

• Liked — Friendly staff and location - nice breakfast
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Brooklyn
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2006

I was a bit hesitant to book this motel after reading all the negative reviews, but it was significantly cheaper than the hotels/motels in close proximity, and since I was staying for only 1 night, I thought, "What the hell, it's only for a night." What a mistake.

The room I was originally given had a terrible smell, almost as if something died in it. I opened the windows and thought it would air out while I went to downtown Mystic. I returned about 3 hours later and the smell had not dissapated. I turned on the heater and noticed a strong odor coming from it.

I went to the front desk to see if I can get another room. They told me they were booked for that night, but after I complained about the smell, they gave me another room. The 2nd room didn't smell as bad, so I kept it.

When I pulled the covers off the bed, I noticed a couple of hairs on the pillow, and the sheets had an unfresh smell to them. Throughout the night I kept waking up wondering why I booked this place, as I was disgusted sleeping there. In retrospect, I would've gladly paid the extra $50 to stay at the holiday inn next door.

Maybe my experience was an abbhoration, but based on the other reviews on the site, I highly doubt it.

• Stayed October 2006
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Seattle, WA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2006

We recently stayed 2 nights at the Econolodge in Mystic, CT. We were staying mid-week, so we received a very good rate (under $70). The room was plenty large enough and fairly comfortable but the room was in desperate need of updating. I was traveling with my wife and 2 small children (a 3 year old and the other 5 mo) on a 4 week sightseeing trip of New England, so we stayed in a lot of hotel/motels. I have to say that this room was the worst of our trip. The bathtub faucet had a major leak, which was very noisy and annoying. But my biggest problem with the room was the heater was malfunctioning. I would fiddle with the settings and get heat for awhile, but then the heat would shut off and start spewing cool air. Fall nights in New England are down right chilly, if not cold, and we really needed the heater to work. We put a service call into the front desk and they said they would send someone to check on the problem but the problem was never addressed or resolved. I would not stay at this location again as I think there are other options in the area that could probably offer comparable value in a nicer property.

• Liked — Good sized rooms and convenient location
  • Disliked — Faulty heater, bathtub faucet dripped and the room sorely needs updating
  • Tips/Secrets — If finding a cheap place is your only concern, then this might be an option for you. Otherwise, I would recommend other options nearby.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Econo Lodge - Mystic? Share your experiences!