“Really lovely place to stay, would definitely recommend it.” 5 of 5 stars

You added The Whaler's Inn to your Saves list
The Whaler's Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   20 East Main St, Mystic, CT 06355   |
Ranked #3 of 12 hotels in Mystic
“Really lovely place to stay, would definitely recommend it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010 via mobile

The Whalers Inn is a really lovely place to stay, with a great location in the centre of Mystic. We had a beautiful room on the top floor, it was spotlessly clean and very comfortable. The management were very helpful when we arrived and answered all our questions about where to go and what to see. We would highly recommend this hotel, it's well worth a visit.

314 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Pennington, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

I brought my mom to Mystic for her birthday. We were very pleased with the atmosphere, cleanliness and service at the Inn.

The breakfast that was included in the price was very nice: bagels, toast, danish, muffins, cereal, yogurt and coffee, tea and juice.

The room was a good size, and nice and cool -- which was important since it was a hot 4th of July weekend. There was also a porch with chairs and a table so that we could relax outsite if we chose to.

The Inn is right by the Bridge and shops -- in the middle of everything, and we walked over to the river in the morning and sat on benches chatting -- great way to start the day!

I'd recommend this inn highly.

• Stayed July 2010
Waterford, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

I stayed in one of the newer rooms, overlooking the water and drawbridge. It was a very nice room, tastefully decorated, and immaculate! The room had a nice fireplace, whilrpool tub, and plenty of space in the room as well as the bathroom. The Inn is centrally located so once you park your car, you can walk downtown Mystic and not have to drive. The front desk staff was pleasant and professional. I would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

Stayed one night in one of the luxury rooms located in the Hoxie house. I enjoyed my stay and would stay again. The best feature for me was the location of the hotel-right in town, on the river with a short walk to all the town has to offer. I consider the "Luxury room" only adequate. It was pristine clean in a newly constructed wing of the property, however, if you are used to staying at above average hotels and inns there really isn't much luxury to rave about. I paid $230 for the room (peak rate) if I paid a penny more I would have felt shortchanged. The room though immaculate and new lacked charm and had a few odd design flaws such as a TV that one couldn't really view comfortably from the bed and a nice jacuzzi bathtub with a oddly designed showerhead that required the user to lean a bit forward to get fully get under the showerhead etc.. Again only minor things but I think "luxury" is a bit strong a term to describe the room.
The staff at the front desk was very friendly but oddly uninformed about some of the basics about town. My only real and truly legitimate gripes is that the continental breakfast was really really lame. Fortunately, over the years many hotels including chains have started to provide at least adequate breakfasts. This inn is trying to buck the trend. I am not even that finicky but cornflakes, mini-vacumn packed in plastic fruit cocktail and generic white bread english muffins don't cut it anymore.
Overall a decent clean well located place. Not a luxury place. If you don't mind paying a premium for location it might be worth it. Otherwise, you can get just as much room with a better breakfast for 40% less up by the highway.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
whalersinn, Guest Relations Manager at The Whaler's Inn, responded to this review, July 6, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the Inn. We appreciate the many compliments about our fantastic location and cleanliness. We strive to provide a clean, comfortable and most enjoyable experience for all the guests that visit the Inn.

In regards to the Complimentary Continental Breakfast; I am very surprised to hear that the food selection was so scarce. Unfortunately not knowing what time you had attended; our service is offered between 7am-10am. If you had come down prior to service being fully out or after its completion the selection may have been less.

The daily menu usually consists of fresh bagels(baked here in CT!), coffee/tea, juices, yogurt, fresh fruit, variety of cereals, hardboiled eggs & cheese, pancakes or waffles, fruit cup, muffins & pastries. We are continuously changing and adding new products to our selection to provide an even greater food choice for our guests.
Again, I appreciate your review and thank you for the suggestions. We do hope that you will visit again in the future. Be sure to check our specials and packages for great rates and deals!
Groton, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

This past June, I organized a family reunion for 8 of my cousins. I picked the Whaler's Inn for the location and the staff. I wanted my family to be treated with the upmost respect and consideration, especially since my Mom is 92 years old. The rooms they suggested for us were in what is known as the 1865 House with a beautiful front porch. It was perfect for all of us to be in the same building. The staff went out of their way to make sure we had, plenty of chairs, tables and even a vhf player so we could watch home movies. We stayed for 3 nights and had a total of 5 rooms all together. Richard, the Manager and Nancy the front desk person had to deal with a bunch of giggling, crazy ladies who were out to have a great time. Their suggestions on where to eat and what to see were right on with our group. I would highly recommend this Inn to be the next stop on your way to New England!!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Bayside
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2010

My husband and I came here for our 1 year anniversary (while I was pregnant) and returned 2 years later with our beautiful daughter. We absolutely love this place and plan to return every year. The location is perfect, the staff is helpful and very friendly, and the room is very clean. The only thing that would make it perfect is a new, comfortable mattress. I look forward to our next visit!

Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
whalersinn, Guest Relations Manager at The Whaler's Inn, responded to this review, June 29, 2010
Thank you for taking time to review the Inn and for the kind words. I am more than pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay & want to make it a tradition to return with your daughter each year. Having guests return year-after-year is the utmost form of flattery in this industry and lets us know, a job well done. For all of us at the Inn, providing superior customer service & accommodations is a top priority.
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2010

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights. The first night, there was a couple above us who were arguing loudly for hours- and finally at 3 am we asked to be changed to another room after calling to complain twice around midnight. The couple also used the shower, which we could hear- as if they were in our bathroom- the acoustics seemed horrible. The room they moved us to had mold on the bathroom walls, and on the wall just outside the bathroom. Disappointing gross-out factor will make us steer clear of this hotel in the future!

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post a review and letting us know of the less than pleasurable stay you had at our establishment in June of 2008. We strive to provide a clean, comfortable and most enjoyable experience for all the guests that visit the Inn. For the security of our guests, the property is manned 24 hours a day. Unfortunately, we cannot control the actions of others, but we can do our best to provide a quiet and secure sleep. I am pleased to hear that the overnight employee was able to move you to a more quiet location. In regards to the poor conditions of the room, I do apologize and want to stress that we do pride ourselves on our cleanliness and continuous updates to the Inn. We have pleased many travelers in the almost 20 years we have had the Inn and continue to please many guests that return year-after-year with their families and friends. I do hope that you do reconsider staying at the Inn in the future.

Been to The Whaler's Inn? Share your experiences!