“Lovely weekend stay in Winter” 4 of 5 stars

The Whaler's Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   20 East Main St, Mystic, CT 06355   |
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Mystic
New York City, New York
“Lovely weekend stay in Winter”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Just returned from a weekend getaway at the Whaler's Inn. The first night we stayed in the Hoxie House in a beautiful King room with a fireplace, lovely, large bathroom equipped with a sizeable tub with jets. Our room was located on the top floor which had great views of the river and downtown Mystic. The room was clean and well equipped, but no small fridge or Ipod dock, but there is access to ice on the floor below and a radio and TV in the room. The set up of the rooms in this building are more like a traditional hotel. 4 or 5 floors with a hallway of rooms. No elevator that we could see just stairs.

Our second night we moved to the 1865 House and stayed in the Morgan Suite which is located on the first floor of the house and is street level. There are large floor to ceiling windows lining the front of the suite in the living area. You are able to block out the light and gain privacy by closing the blinds and the automatic curtains. There is also another floor to ceiling window on the side of the living area, also ground level, that looks out to the parking lot and across to the lobby of the main building. There are additional smaller windows on the same side of the room right next to the bed ground level, bordering the parking lot. There is constant car traffic on the main street in front of the room and foot and car traffic entering and exiting the parking lot on the side of the room which is right next to the bed. Even though the room decor was quite charming, the bath was very tiny and is located right next to the bed, which limits bathroom privacy. If you don't mind staying on the ground level and noise above, this room is nice, but be aware that you are right on the street and in the parking lot when you stay in this room. There is a flat screen TV which you can watch from the bed or the living space. The closet is very tiny, but there is a dresser for clothing storage if that is important to you.

The breakfast was wonderful and the staff was very accommodating. After departing we realized we left something in the room, called and they mailed it directly to us at home without charge.
There is also ample parking the in main lot with an overflow lot directly across the street. The restaurant Bravo, Bravo located in the hotel was also excellent.

We would definitely return, but I think I would make sure that our entire stay was in the Hoxie House.

Room Tip: Hoxie House rooms are great for couples. Very romantic. The views are lovely. The rooms do neighbor...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Boothbay Harbor, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is centrally located in town so if you are not wanting to drive then you have found the place. We were never woken by anyone, had a great breakfast (included), friendly folks, internet to access, etc...

Room Tip: We were on the second floor and our room looked out onto the back parking lot. Not the best view, bu...
Albany, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I just recently stayed here a few months ago on columbus day weekend, And it was good. I stayed on the first floor in the nose?? i think... Anyway the room was pretty not fabulous though, I loved the breakfast and the service there was great, very friendly people. I will come back again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Washington, DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Just returned from a weekend in Mystic for a wedding and stayed at the Whaler's Inn.

We were in the Main House, located above the lobby and right on Main Street. Even though Mystic is small, you could hear a constant stream of car traffic in the room. You could also hear every time some one moved upstairs, spoke loudly downstairs, went down the stairs, etc. The room was very small and uncomfortable; the mattress was too soft and worn down.

The room was also very hot. We turned off the radiator and opened the windows - in the middle of winter it took several open windows to cool the room down. The radiator also whistled throughout the day and night - waking us up over and over. That, along with the car traffic, lack of decent blinds or curtains, made for the two worst nights of sleep I've ever had in a hotel.

We spoke to the front desk about the radiator noise and they explained that just happens but they would "look into it" .. as if that meant anything.

The breakfast wasn't anything special. The restaurant next door, Bravo Bravo, was great for lunch.

The only caveat I will give to this review is - we don't typically stay in B&Bs or Inns or whatever. I would rather be in a regular hotel (both the Hyatt and Hampton Inn are located close enough to downtown) and get a good night sleep that be in a "quaint" but rickety old house. The only, only redeeming quality about this place is its location - very near downtown.

Room Tip: Not sure you can do it - but ask for a room away from Main Street.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Mystic, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Note: This is the same review I left on Yelp.

Having lost power due to 2013 Winter Storm Nemo, I can now write the review I have been so anxious to write since our power was restored.

What can this have to do with The Whaler's Inn? Everything!

We lost power due to the storm and being buried under many inches of snow, it wasn't easy to get out of our house, much less the street. Normally we would have toughed it out, but because my 90-year-old mother was visiting us from out of state, we felt we HAD to get somewhere warm...and at any cost.

Enter The Whaler's Inn. We learned that as a community service The Whaler's Inn was offering a special room rate of $50 per night for local residents who were without power. We booked their last two rooms and spent a very comfortable night at the hotel. The rooms were recently renovated, very clean, cozy and comfortable. The staff members were exceptionally kind, helpful and accommodating. The Continental breakfast, included in the room price, was tasty and the coffee was GOOD. There was nothing negative about our experience.

I wholeheartedly recommend The Whaler's Inn to anyone who comes to Mystic. In addition to all that I stated above, its location is outstanding. It's right downtown, within walking distance or a short drive to everything a visitor to Mystic might like to see.

My 5-star rating is based on their exceptional service and attractive rooms. I don't know what the regular room prices are, but I suspect they are competitive. Certainly they were a bargain at $50!

Room Tip: There are a few buildings that make up the Whaler's Inn. Some are more family friendly, others...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Mystic, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Husband and I stayed here on New Year's Eve. The room was fabulous. We chose a room in Hoxie House (one of the deluxe rooms) with a massive whirlpool tub and a gas fireplace. We had a corner room so we had windows on both Cottrell St and the Mystic River, and West Main St/Holmes Street. It was quiet and perfect - we had a wonderful time.

Room Tip: Definitely go for Hoxie House! Best views and amazing rooms!
Pequannock, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I decided to plan a weekend getaway for my boyfriend & I since he had never been to an aquarium & Mystic is only a 3 hr drive from us in Jersey. I graduated with a degree in Hotel & Lodging Management & currently work as a sales coordinator at a group hotel sales company so I work with Trip Advisor a lot- I made sure to check it out & read about 3 pages of comments on the Whaler's Inn before choosing it.

We arrived at check in time & our room was ready- the front desk staff was very nice the whole time we were there. Our room was nice and very clean and I found the bed to be very comfortable. (my boyfriend thought it was too hard but his bed is too soft for me so I guess you can't please everyone).

The problems started after we returned from dinner (at Margaritas- highly recommend- delicious!). When we got back our room was very very hot so we went down to the front desk and Greg (very nice) advised us to turn off the radiator and open a window. We did so and that helped cool the room down but then we noticed very loud talking coming from below us. It turns out we were right above the restaurant attached to the hotel, Bravo Bravo. We were trying to get a good night sleep since it was a long day of sightseeing & we had an early morning, so even though it was only 11:30, I was annoyed. There were also drunk people yelling on the sidewalk & with the window open ,we heard this loud & clear. We closed the window to help the noise issue but it didn't do much.

After a call to Bravo Bravo, I was told that the kitchen closed at 10 but there were still a lot of people there and would probably be open a while longer (they're smart- they're not going to turn away drinking customers). I called down to Greg again and told him what Bravo Bravo had told me and asked to be moved to a different room- he said he wished he could but they were fully occupied. He said he was sorry we were having such a troubling night & would leave a note for the manager.

The next morning when we woke up (I wear an eye mask so I was fine- but although there were blinds, there were no heavy curtains or anything so it was quite bright in the room and my boyfriend had trouble sleeping)- we went to check out & I told the two women at the front desk about the problems we had the night before. They said they had seen a note and were surprised because they usually do not have trouble with noise from Bravo Bravo like that. They were so understanding, though, and comped our room because of it. I was so grateful! They truly listened to the issues we had and made it up to us. They're also running a special before April to buy one night & get one night free.

The Whaler's Inn truly is a beautiful place with lots of character and is located right in downtown so we could walk to the shops during the day. I would definitely recommend it and hope to be back (but to stay in an area off the street)- although I'm sure this was just a fluke night with a loud crowd. Thank you, Whaler's Inn, for making our weekend great!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Whaler's Inn? Share your experiences!