“Bring your earplugs, sleeping mask, or avoid all together” 2 of 5 stars

The Whaler's Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   20 East Main St, Mystic, CT 06355   |
Ranked #3 of 12 hotels in Mystic
Washington, DC
“Bring your earplugs, sleeping mask, or avoid all together”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Just returned from a weekend in Mystic for a wedding and stayed at the Whaler's Inn.

We were in the Main House, located above the lobby and right on Main Street. Even though Mystic is small, you could hear a constant stream of car traffic in the room. You could also hear every time some one moved upstairs, spoke loudly downstairs, went down the stairs, etc. The room was very small and uncomfortable; the mattress was too soft and worn down.

The room was also very hot. We turned off the radiator and opened the windows - in the middle of winter it took several open windows to cool the room down. The radiator also whistled throughout the day and night - waking us up over and over. That, along with the car traffic, lack of decent blinds or curtains, made for the two worst nights of sleep I've ever had in a hotel.

We spoke to the front desk about the radiator noise and they explained that just happens but they would "look into it" .. as if that meant anything.

The breakfast wasn't anything special. The restaurant next door, Bravo Bravo, was great for lunch.

The only caveat I will give to this review is - we don't typically stay in B&Bs or Inns or whatever. I would rather be in a regular hotel (both the Hyatt and Hampton Inn are located close enough to downtown) and get a good night sleep that be in a "quaint" but rickety old house. The only, only redeeming quality about this place is its location - very near downtown.

Room Tip: Not sure you can do it - but ask for a room away from Main Street.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

322 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Mystic, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Note: This is the same review I left on Yelp.

Having lost power due to 2013 Winter Storm Nemo, I can now write the review I have been so anxious to write since our power was restored.

What can this have to do with The Whaler's Inn? Everything!

We lost power due to the storm and being buried under many inches of snow, it wasn't easy to get out of our house, much less the street. Normally we would have toughed it out, but because my 90-year-old mother was visiting us from out of state, we felt we HAD to get somewhere warm...and at any cost.

Enter The Whaler's Inn. We learned that as a community service The Whaler's Inn was offering a special room rate of $50 per night for local residents who were without power. We booked their last two rooms and spent a very comfortable night at the hotel. The rooms were recently renovated, very clean, cozy and comfortable. The staff members were exceptionally kind, helpful and accommodating. The Continental breakfast, included in the room price, was tasty and the coffee was GOOD. There was nothing negative about our experience.

I wholeheartedly recommend The Whaler's Inn to anyone who comes to Mystic. In addition to all that I stated above, its location is outstanding. It's right downtown, within walking distance or a short drive to everything a visitor to Mystic might like to see.

My 5-star rating is based on their exceptional service and attractive rooms. I don't know what the regular room prices are, but I suspect they are competitive. Certainly they were a bargain at $50!

Room Tip: There are a few buildings that make up the Whaler's Inn. Some are more family friendly, others...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Mystic, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Husband and I stayed here on New Year's Eve. The room was fabulous. We chose a room in Hoxie House (one of the deluxe rooms) with a massive whirlpool tub and a gas fireplace. We had a corner room so we had windows on both Cottrell St and the Mystic River, and West Main St/Holmes Street. It was quiet and perfect - we had a wonderful time.

Room Tip: Definitely go for Hoxie House! Best views and amazing rooms!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Pequannock, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I decided to plan a weekend getaway for my boyfriend & I since he had never been to an aquarium & Mystic is only a 3 hr drive from us in Jersey. I graduated with a degree in Hotel & Lodging Management & currently work as a sales coordinator at a group hotel sales company so I work with Trip Advisor a lot- I made sure to check it out & read about 3 pages of comments on the Whaler's Inn before choosing it.

We arrived at check in time & our room was ready- the front desk staff was very nice the whole time we were there. Our room was nice and very clean and I found the bed to be very comfortable. (my boyfriend thought it was too hard but his bed is too soft for me so I guess you can't please everyone).

The problems started after we returned from dinner (at Margaritas- highly recommend- delicious!). When we got back our room was very very hot so we went down to the front desk and Greg (very nice) advised us to turn off the radiator and open a window. We did so and that helped cool the room down but then we noticed very loud talking coming from below us. It turns out we were right above the restaurant attached to the hotel, Bravo Bravo. We were trying to get a good night sleep since it was a long day of sightseeing & we had an early morning, so even though it was only 11:30, I was annoyed. There were also drunk people yelling on the sidewalk & with the window open ,we heard this loud & clear. We closed the window to help the noise issue but it didn't do much.

After a call to Bravo Bravo, I was told that the kitchen closed at 10 but there were still a lot of people there and would probably be open a while longer (they're smart- they're not going to turn away drinking customers). I called down to Greg again and told him what Bravo Bravo had told me and asked to be moved to a different room- he said he wished he could but they were fully occupied. He said he was sorry we were having such a troubling night & would leave a note for the manager.

The next morning when we woke up (I wear an eye mask so I was fine- but although there were blinds, there were no heavy curtains or anything so it was quite bright in the room and my boyfriend had trouble sleeping)- we went to check out & I told the two women at the front desk about the problems we had the night before. They said they had seen a note and were surprised because they usually do not have trouble with noise from Bravo Bravo like that. They were so understanding, though, and comped our room because of it. I was so grateful! They truly listened to the issues we had and made it up to us. They're also running a special before April to buy one night & get one night free.

The Whaler's Inn truly is a beautiful place with lots of character and is located right in downtown so we could walk to the shops during the day. I would definitely recommend it and hope to be back (but to stay in an area off the street)- although I'm sure this was just a fluke night with a loud crowd. Thank you, Whaler's Inn, for making our weekend great!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Cape Cod, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed for two nights in Mystic at The Whaler's Inn and had a fabulous, relaxing and enjoyable visit. The staff was warm and welcoming and could not have done more to accommodate us. We were also upgraded to a king bed, which we appreciated. Our room (51) was spotless and comfortable with a great view over Main Street. Everything was in working order, we had a strong WiFi signal and a double sheeted bed, which we loved. Were it not for the amorous adventures of our next door neighbor at night, we would not have heard a peep from anyone. This property has a terrific staff, from housekeepers to front desk, all going out of their way to accommodate every request. We are not breakfast eaters, but did get coffee in the morning and, from the contented guests eating breakfast, it appeared that morning offerings were ample.

The property is located perfectly for forays to Main Street, Mystic, a quaint and enjoyable place to browse, shop and take in the vibe, which is authentic New England. It is also in close proximity to the area attractions.

I cannot imagine what more the staff could have done to make us feel more comfortable and I enjoyed meeting the lovely Nicole who was so very friendly and attentive. I've read many of the reviews here and most guests enjoyed the hotel as much as we did. From what I experienced I cannot imagine how anyone could be unhappy with anything here except that one cannot always please everyone.

Our bathroom shower was a wee bit tight, but this is a historic property and, having traveled a fair amount, we expect some compromise in order to maintain the authenticity of the building. If you could not get around in the shower, I suggest you go on a diet! I am not a small man but found it the perfect size and I did drop the soap a few times and retrieved it without any trouble at all.

I would heartily recommend Whaler's Inn to visitors to greater Mystic. It is a terrific place to stay, comfortable and well priced with a really dedicated staff of friendly people who obviously enjoy working there!

Room Tip: The deluxe rooms were sold out, but from the reviews here, these seem to be the ones everyone enjoys...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
whalersinn, Guest Relations Manager at The Whaler's Inn, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful comments and for taking the time to post this review.
I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your experience here at the Inn and in downtown Mystic. It was a pleasure meeting you as well. I look forward to welcoming you back for future visits. Hopefully you will be able to try one of the deluxe rooms in the "Hoxie House" this next time. Happy New Year! Sincerely, Nicole - The Whaler's Inn
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

We had a very relaxing stay. Room #64 was beautifully decorated with a fireplace which was oh so nice to relax with after a day of walking and shopping. Beautifully updated, roomy bathroom with a jacuzzi tub. It is in the center of town-very convenient to shops and restaurants. You may hear traffic, but the convenience of the location made it nice. They offer a continental breakfast which was ample in choices and afternoon snacks were available. The staff were all very warm and friendly greeting us each time they saw us. This is a place to visit in warmer weather...lots to see and do along the waterfront. We arrived late in the season, a day after the Seaport activities ended, but we enjoyed a couple of wineries, restaurants and shops. Very enjoyable weekend for our 30th anniversary!

Room Tip: Our corner room was large with 4 windows!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Harrison, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Reason for 3 Stars is the PRICE. The building is very old; you can hear everything people are doing. I could not sleep do to the noise but we stayed at the cozy queen room feeling like I was at a motel. The shower was very uncomfortably SMALL; the curtain kept on attaching itself to our bodies. Breakfast was just breakfast, nothing impressive. Again, it was way too expensive for it not to have been a great stay.

You are only paying for the location; which is perfect, walking distance to everything.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
whalersinn, Guest Relations Manager at The Whaler's Inn, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Nicole - Thank you for taking the time to review your stay in a Cozy Queen room. Our sincerest apologies that you found your room's shower stall to be uncomfortably small. Due to the historical nature of our building (c.1910), the architecture restricts the bathroom size for some of our guest rooms. We do hope in a future visit to Mystic, you will return to the Whaler's Inn and try one of our many rooms that are larger and not as historic. Know that we are staffed 24 hours to assist our guests. In the future, if there is a problem with noise, please let the staff know and they will do their absolute best to rectify the situation for you. In regards to pricing, Saturdays are a higher price. But you will see it is very competitive with surrounding inns and hotels that do not have a “downtown location” or offer the personal service that the Whaler’s Inn can. However, we do run fantastic monthly specials and last minute deals throughout the year. We do hope to welcome you back in the future.

Been to The Whaler's Inn? Share your experiences!