“I was impressed!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Mystic
Stony Brook, New York
“I was impressed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights while visiting the Mohegan Sun and mystic-area attractions. I was very pleased with this hotel! I understand that this property is 3 years old but everything felt brand new to me.

A few notes:
-We had a king-bed room and it felt a little smaller than a normal hotel room, but I think that was primarily due to the fact that they designed a very spacious and luxurious bathroom (took up some of the square footage from bedroom area). The shower was huge and the vanity was granite. Way above average for a chain hotel bathroom!
-I utilized the fitness center, which was small but very sufficient and well-kept. 3 treadmills, 1 elliptical, 1 bike, a selection of hand weights. All fitness equipment had personal TV's.
-The lobby of this hotel is gorgeous and very large.
-We experienced great service, as well. The front-desk staff were very helpful when helping me process our tax-exempt stay (due to traveling for work). Every staff member I encountered was pleasant and friendly.
-The breakfast was good...great variety. And I love that they offer complimentary coffee all day, we took advantage of that.
-This location is excellent. Less than 1 mile to Old Mystic Village and within a 10 minute drive to downtown Mystic seaport area, both of which are worth visiting! It took us about 25 minutes to get to and from the Mohegan Sun Casino, but it was a pretty easy drive on highways.

We stayed on the first floor (room 128) and it did get a bit noisy in the mornings with doors slamming and maid carts. If you want peace and quiet, perhaps request a higher floor.

I would highly recommend this hotel to others! I did some research on hotels in the area and really feel like we got an excellent value here.

Room Tip: Avoid the first floor if you want quiet in the mornings.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Polish first
Chelmsford, Ma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We have stayed at Hampton Inns in other locations many times but this one was not up to others. There were many simple things in disarray that could have been easily fixed. The staff were pleasant but the condition of the room was disappointing. We had only two small pillows on our king bed, the comforter was extremely lumpy (areas with no 'puff' at all), and for some reason they decided to use folded paper towels instead of real napkins for the breakfast. The manager simply explained they ran out of napkins. This may sound petty but it represents the general condition of the hotel. It has lots of potential but it doesn't shine. Also, beware, 1/2 of the hotel looks on to a trailer park. The hot breakfast was generally very good.

Room Tip: Request the side of the hotel that does not face the trailer park.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Fort Worth, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Hotel is at a good location for visiting the Mystic area, front desk staff was friendly and helpful (there was a problem with the room), complimentary breakfast was standard Hampton fare but staff had a difficult time keeping up with 2 bus loads of guests all dining at the same time before departing. View from the room was not great (overlooking a trailer park) and we did have a problem with the room which took quite some time to remedy (no other rooms available). Overall an average Hampton experience at this location.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Cambridge, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

the hotel owners seem proud of its cleanliness, and it was indeed spotless. but i left the place feeling that it was "small": we had a 2-queen room, but i think these were two full beds, not queen-size. the room itself was more-or-less the size of the beds, with no much extra space. the pool was really tiny (and, btw, the smell of chlorine was exceptionally strong, and the water were opaque). and the dining room was way too small for all the guests, and we had to wait 15 minutes to find a table. It later turned out that there is extra sitting space elsewhere, but there was no staff member to let us know about it in the 15 minutes we were standing there, and the sign with this information was not conspicuous).
given that there are more affordable options in the area, we will not be back,

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Shelton, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

Stayed one night due to its low price via AAA and its proximity to Foxwoods Casino. I was amazed to hear the hotel was opened a little over four years ago. Everything about it appears brand new. From the cleanliness of the rooms to the very personable staff everything was what you would expect from a Hampton Inn. I would definitely stay here again but only in the off season due to the amount of kids they must get here in the summer months. I stayed the night after Christmas and there were kids all over the place but I can't say anything bad about the hotel because of that, they just appeared to be families traveling for the holiday. One thing I must mention is that the complimentary breakfast was top notch. Even though there were so many people eating, the breakfast area was constantly being stocked with fresh food. Plus this was the first hotel I stayed in that had French toast sticks.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

The hotel is pretty much right off the highway (read just far enough away so road noise isn't a problem). The building itself is very clean throughout and smartly furnished. The front desk staff were friendly and they got me into my assigned room quickly. My two queen room included a flat screen TV, a writing desk, a closet with full mirror and a full bathroom (shower/tub). The room also included a coffee machine tucked under the sink. It included a mix of off-brand coffees (regular and decaf). I would have preferred to have some tea included, but couldn't complain too much as a more robust complimentary offering of coffee and teas are always available in the lobby downstairs. The hotel also offers a business center (two computers), a cozy workout room (a few machines), and an indoor pool.

The only things that bothered me during my stay was my first impressions of the duvets they have on their beds (they have these large dimples sewn into them) which gives the mistaken impression of a lumpy bed. This is not the sort of bedding I would choose for guests, but their hands may be tied by the Hilton franchise. I also found the sticky notes left on the bed indicating the sheets and duvets are washed fresh for every guest tacky (though I suspect again this is a Hilton regulation).

All-in-all this hotel should certainly be on your short-list of hotels to use when visiting Mystic.

Room Tip: This is a pet friendly hotel. You may run into leashed dogs throughout the property. If you are sens...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
New England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

This is probably the nicest Hampton Inn we've stayed at, and we've been at very many throughout the country. The staff was very professional and helpful, and our thanks to April for upgrading us to a very nice suite. The location was perfect for visiting the sights of Mystic, as well as Stonington, CT, Westerly and Watch Hill, RI. The breakfast was the standard Hampton Inn buffet, with one unfortunate exception -- there was no fresh fruit salad. Instead, they only offered a processed fruit cup in a small plastic package that we had no appetite for. Luckily, there were some fresh bananas and apples that we were able to cut up. Hopefully, the hotel management will reconsider its offering of the prepackaged fruit cup and replace it with a fresh fruit salad like almost every other Hampton Inn provides.

Room Tip: If the hotel is not busy, ask if they will upgrade you to a suite at no extra charge.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Mystic? Share your experiences!