“Private Retreat” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Morris
Nashua
“Private Retreat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

We just spent a wonderful night at the Winvian staying in the Library cottage. The entire resort is nestled in the middle of Connecticutt near Litchfield and is very private. Our cottage was very cozy with a lovely fireplace which we used most of our waking hours. There was a Nespresso machine for coffee as well as a refrigerator stocked with sodas and water. There was also a few bottles of named brand liquor and snacks. We definitely plan to return during summer and fall to enjoy the many outdoor activities. I also had a very relaxing Swedish massage at their full service spa. Our stay included a delicious breakfast that included fresh fruit and orange juice, eggs cooked to order, oatmeal, yogurt with their homemade granola and honey from their bee hives. We highly recommend you visit this lovely retreat.

Room Tip: There are individual themed cottages (i.e. artist, golf, marine, library, tree house) that are pictu...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

We spent one night in the Library Cottage in February. The hotel is a collection of themed cottages located around a large wooded property. The range of themes is impressive and fun.Our cottage was lovely with a beautiful bathroom and living room with fireplace and comfortable bedroom. We had nice treatments at the spa which is beautiful. I guess where is lost points with us was in the details. Our rate included meals and our mini bar was stocked with beverages including some half bottles of wine, what was missing was the opener and a selection of snacks. For what we paid a small basket of snacks would have been a nice touch, particularly because the main lobby was a bit of hike away. Other details were missed like matches to start the fire in the fireplace. It's small details like this that can really disappoint when you are paying almost $2,000 a night... It's annoying to have to call for matches and a corkscrew when they have provided the wine and the wood so it's not like they didn't know they would be needed! We didn't really enjoy dinner. We are very comfortable with fine dining, but we found the selection and the quality of the food just OK..almost too precious and pretentious without an option for something less "fine". We were hungry after a long day and left still hungry after a four course meal and we aren't big eaters. I guess it would actually give it 3.5 stars if that was an option. the room was lovely and fun and would be even nicer in nicer weather but for what they charge they should be closer to the five star standard that would be fair to expect

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Trumbull
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

Being the wonderful wife I am, I surprised husband with a nite at the amazing Helicopter Cottage. Although this was man heaven (there is an actual Sikorsky Coast Guard helicopter INSIDE the cottage that you can lounge & "pilot" in, there was every comfortable amenity (jacuzzi, steam shower, luxe bed, wood burning stove, etc) for a gal. Every staff member/server we encountered was friendly & attentive to our every need, dinner in the quiet, romantic fireplace room was likely the best I've ever had, as was breakfast (truffled scrambled eggs, anyone?). Pricey for sure but worth each & every cent!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
New Haven, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

At first blush I was pretty impressed with our "cottage". Accommodations are composed of several theme cottages. Our's was the artists cottage. Architecturally, the property is very interesting because each cottage is designed by a different architect. Unfortunately, that is where the excellence ends. My wife and I found the food to be pretentious but mediocre...especially breakfast.
The thing that really bothered me was the extra charge for delivering our dinner to the cottage because the dining room was closed for a wedding.
For the huge bucks they charge, I thought it was pretty tacky to add a surcharge. There are other top of the line places for less, giving their guests more. Mayflower Inn and Twin Farms are two suggestions. We've stayed at both places and Twin Farms still get the gold star for excellence.
I'm not saying that we didn't enjoy our stay. We did. It was just that for the incredibly expensive weekend I know we could have done a lot better.

Room Tip: Ask about the cottage themes and choose one that you can relate to. For example, if you go with kid...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

My BF and I spent one night here (we wish we could had stayed two) in the middle of november 2013. We're from NYC and didn't think there would be enough to do to keep us entertained for two night three days but were totally wrong and wished we would have booked that additional night!

When we first arrived to check in we were given general info about the property and then were led to our cottage. they even came inside to show us how things work ... (such as TV, Heated floors, Surround sound, etc) It was extremely helpful and made it easy for us to do basic things.

We stayed at the Golf cottage... It was amazing. This is such a treat especially if you are a golfer. we really enjoyed the old fashion putters and golf balls in the room and the carpet was shaped like different putting greens so you could hit the balls around.

The bathroom was my favorite.. it was huge with a jet tub and extremely well maintained (as was the entire cottage). My BF loved the TV that in fact raised from the foot of the bed.. haha.

Spa was fantastic.. we did the couples hot stone massage and both felt great after. It was performed in what I think was the couples room.. It had a great fireplace but unfortunately towards the second half of our treatment the fire started making VERY loud crackling noises. I really know nothing about fires or how long they are supposed to last but we both agreed that it really took away from the "relaxation" aspect or our treatments.... but I guess that's nature? I highly recommend to request no fire during your treatment (ours was 80 minutes) because it was just so darn loud lol! I guess it's normal because our masseuses did not say anything. We did have about 20 minutes to enjoy some snacks and drinks at the end of our treatments which we did enjoy glancing at the fire for. BF was upset that were wasn't a steam room.. but there was a very small co-ed sauna.

Restaurant was good. everyone was really nice. I did wish they had a few more options though... They didn't have a chicken or steak option the night we stayed there.. I believe from what I remember they only had animals like duck and possibly deer... not my thing. hopefully the menu has changed to accommodate . I did enjoy our dessert very very much!!!

this was literally the quietest place in the world by the way.

Overall great experience and plenty to do !!!

Room Tip: Golf cottage was great!!!!!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

My daughers arranged for a car to pick me up at work for a very secretive surprise for my birthday. I had no idea where I was going or what I was in for - and I don't like surprises. A little tense, I chatted with my driver - and I am not a chatter or enjoy being in the back seat - except for NYC taxis... Well, as soon as we pulled into Winvian I started to unwind. The property is beautiful - and not in a formal or pretentious way! Checking in at reception rather than the Spa, they happily greeted me, and knowing about my special day, directed me along a beautiful walkway to the Spa. I had an incredible spa experience - with special attention given to my tight neck and back. I ordinarily don't like a lot of fuss - but I was caving in to the experience - and totally caved when they informed me my surprise included a spa lunch. In the beautiful, serene Spa space, I was served a farm-fresh green salad and cheese plate, along with a half-bottle of a wonderful Sancerre. The cheese selection was world-class. Totally relaxed from my treatments, I thoroughly enjoyed and lingered over my lunch. I felt like I was a million miles from work. Unfortunately, and cruelly, the driver was there to bring me back. A day later, I still feel the relaxative and therapeutic effects of my short time at Winvian. I will plan another visit soon, and bring my beautiful and thoughtful daughters with me! We hope to explore more Winvian. The apple tart with birthday candle was so delicious and special, too!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We have stayed at the sister property (Pitcher Inn, Vermont), and have always loved it. Unfortunately, Winvian just didn't seem to flow well. Reception was friendly, but the reception area is part of the bar which is part of the game room, and just not a comfortable area.

The room we stayed in (Stable), was nice enough, but wasn't overly comfortable (3 flights of stairs made the room very disjointed).

The restaurant is reviewed separately for dinner (good, but not great), however the breakfasts were excellent, different, and well prepared in a very comfortable little breakfast room.

The grounds are well maintained and the location is very nice.

I guess the hotel was just to "whimsical" for our tastes. The adherence to the theme distracted from the comfort and flow of the property. I think the focus on the property being an architectural art piece distracted as a first priority distracted from the comfort. We would have loved to tour all the rooms just to see them!

I think this will all come down to what you are looking for. If staying in a treehouse or a room with a giant helicopter in it appeals, than I think you probably will find Winvian 5 stars. If you were looking for a cozy country inn, you might agree with the 4 rating.

Cost is high, as you'd expect from R&C, but nothing outlandish.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Winvian? Share your experiences!