“Convenient hotel, very fine service” 4 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   10 Bee Street, Meriden, CT 06450   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Meriden
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Convenient hotel, very fine service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Hampton Inns are all similar but this one stands out for convenience and service. It's right off I-91 and easy to find. We were greeted by a very helpful young desk clerk who went out of his way to recommend places to eat and to give us detailed directions. The hotel had provided notices for everyone to remind us to change our clocks for daylight savings time. The room was a bit small but very comfortable.

Room Tip: Our desk clerk offered us a room close to (but not too close to) the elevator so we would not be bot...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I had an overall positive experience at this hotel. My room's tv wasn't responding to any remote and I ended up getting comped one night which made me ecstatic. It was clean, the breakfast was what's to be expected and the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. 2 thumbs up.

Room Tip: Ask if the rate has changed favorably since the time you booked and they will adjust it.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Initially, the place struck me as a typical Hampton Inn. But it's clearly an older property that they've tried to upgrade.

Mostly everything was fine. Room was clean, wifi worked, halls were quiet, free breakfast.

A few annoyances that'll have me looking for another spot next time I'm in the area. I usually end up needing to work from my room for an hour or two, the desk in my room was positioned very awkwardly. Even though it was next to the window, the furniture the desk is built into blocked the view of the window while sitting there. Admittedly that's nit picky but it bugged me.

Two bigger concerns. The shower/tub was gross. The floor was black and the handle was showing rust.

But the #1 reason I'll look elsewhere next time -- the fitness room! Pathetic. It's one ancient treadmill and stair climber. And the treadmill was occupied. Grr.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Falls Church, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights during my son's sporting competition at Wesleyan University. It couldn't have been easier to get back and forth and I felt safe even coming in at midnight after a team parents' dinner. The staff were all very nice - from the reception desk to the morning breakfast team. The king bed was quite comfortable (of course it's always better without my usual dogs and cats crowding me at home) and I made use of the desk and the variety of lighting. One thing that stood out was that there were enough electrical outlets for me to plug in and charge my myriad devices. This may sound like a small thing until you stay at a hotel where you have to keep switching among devices!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

From an uninvolved staff and lackluster breakfast to halls that hadn't been vacuumed this was a disappointment. Thank goodness we were there for only on night as the heater in our room did not work. The good thing is the bed was very comfortable and in general the rooms were nice and clean.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Streetsboro, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I stayed here over the holidays. It was myself, my husband, my 15 month old & my 4 month old for a week.
Stayed in a regular King Bed room, had 1 kid sleeping in a pack n play & the other slept in the bath-tub. Not proud of that but it kept them separated enough that they could actually fall asleep. The room was clean, the bathroom was clean & the hotel itself was clean over all. I didn't feel worried about having my daughter running around on the carpet but we did always have something on her feet - you just never know!
The included breakfast was so helpful & convenient for us. Always warm food or pastries to pick from. The variety from day to day was kind of lacking but what could I really expect? We got into a routine by the end of the week - knew what we wanted & liked. The lady that kept everything stocked was always busy refilling something. She would come out & ask if we needed anything else before it was time to close it up (10am). Very considerate.
The front desk ladies were also very friendly - my daughter is pretty out-going & always waving & saying hi to people. They always struck up a conversation with her & it didn't feel forced or creepy.
We have already recommended this location to some of our friends for their family to stay - so yes, feel free to stay here. And don't forget to ask for your AAA discount (you do really need to have AAA).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

It's not too often that I rate a chain hotel where I have stayed for business as "excellent" but this hotel was really top notch. I tagged along on my husband's business trip so I could vacation while he was at work.

Everything was very clean and the staff (whom I saw frequently roaming the hallways) was always very friendly. I believe they had a housekeeping training going on at the hotel during our stay so I heard a lot of maids in the main lobby having bed making contests and pow wows. They seemed very excited to be doing their jobs and had a lot of fun in the process. With that many maids in our hotel at once, I still never caught one in our room. I think they were learning stealth capabilities while they were there!

The hotel is a good size and very easy to navigate. I wish it would have had a pool, but it did have a small exercise room that is nice for a quick bike or treadmill workout - - nothing fancy.

The breakfast in the morning was good and there were many options. They even offered a "to-go" sack, that my husband took advantage of most mornings. It contained an apple, some yogurt or granola bar and some water - - nice for a quick breakfast or snack.

Location: This hotel has a great location as it is very close to two major highways. My biggest tip is that there is not much to do close to this hotel so it wouldn't be idea for a vacation. Stay on the Hampton side of hwy 15. We drove to the other side of it into downtown Meriden hoping to find a restaurant (that ended up being closed) and discovered this is a slightly downtrodden (that's putting it nicely) part of Meriden. If you're looking for a place to eat, head to Zorba's down the street. They have excellent rolls and the prices are very cheap for what you get.

There is a bottled water machine in the front lobby and internet service. However, if you ask the front desk for a bottle of water, they will give you one for FREE!

This hotel seemed to have mostly business travelers and families staying in town for sports tournaments. Since I was on vacation while my hubby was at work, I wandered through the old cemetary next door for a few minutes to check out the old headstones. It was relaxing in a weird way.

This hotel is about a 15 minute drive to Cheshire, CT and maybe 30 minutes to Hartford.

Room Tip: The side of the hotel opposite the highway is probably more quiet. There is a cemetary to the north...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hampton Inn Meriden - Wallingford? Share your experiences!