“Great area, close to almost everything” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Hartford Meriden

Save Saved
You added Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Hartford Meriden to your Saves list
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Hartford Meriden
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1151 East Main Street, Meriden, CT 06450 (Formerly Candlewood Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead, Save 15%
Ranked #2 of 11 hotels in Meriden
Etters
“Great area, close to almost everything”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

General area was nice and surrounding areas also. It was central to what we wanted to do
like sight-seeing.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham

Amit A, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Hartford Meriden, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear Janice,

Thank you so much for taking the time out to fill this online survey. We appreciate your response in make this hotel a better guest experience. Please feel free to reach out to us for any of your future stays in the area. We look forward to seeing you soon!

The Management Team.

201 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Hoboken
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

It wasn't terrible, but I was unimpressed.
Clientele was a little shady (does this place double as a halfway house? Low income senior housing?) The breakfast is a muffin and juice. Generally, just a blah experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Dear J P,

Thank you so much for your recent (candid) response. We at the Hawthorn appreciate these reviews as they help us work towards a better guest experience. That being said, there was a preivous review mentioning a similar complaint about our shady clientele - but rest assured we've remedied that situation. Those guests are no longer welcome to this hotel. It is really hard for us to tell which guests are going to be trouble guests as you can imagine. Our hotel rooms are open for anyone to stay in. Some guests stay a night, some a month and some more than a year. These guests also include people of all ages from all walks of life.

We're currently serving what is considered an American Continental breakfast which includes Muffins, Granola bars, bottled juices and coffee. However, we're going to be upgrading to a full hot breakfast in the coming months. This is scheduled to happen in the 1st quarter of 2013.

Thank you again for your review and mentioning your concerns. We look forward to hosting you again at the Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham next time you're in the area.

The Management Team.
ROCKLAND
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We recently stayed here for one night and for our purposes it was just okay. We specifically decided on this hotel so that we could use the kitchen facilities in the room. Unfortunately there really wasn't any of the necessary stuff to cook or serve a meal - not sure if we were supposed to share the 1 fork that was supplied! Also some of the clientele was more than a bit shady. It almost seemed that some of the folks using the laundry and workout equipment might not be staying at the hotel. Very odd...

With some work this could be a really good hotel that I would consider visiting again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Ms. Cunning,

I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for filling out a review for your recent stay with us. The team at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham is working hard to providing a great guest experience to our entire guests. We understand that it is not always possible to do so as we do face challenges on a daily basis.

I have personally made sure that my housekeeping supervisor is inspecting all rooms for any missing silverware or dishes. You're correct about the shady clientele, which we did receive complaints about. We've addressed the situation and remedied the problem guests. They are no longer welcome back to this hotel.

Thank you again for taking the time and filling out this survey. If you're ever visiting the area again we would love to see you back at the Hawthorn!

The Management Team
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We have stayed at this place since long before it became Hawthorn. And I must say along with the name change everything in this place went downhill... When you first step into the lobby there is a foul smell.. Depending on who is working the front desk at your checkin time, that depends on how your service will be. Once you get checked in and take a short walk around toward the elevator, you find people laid out on the floor at times shirtless and shoeless talking on their cell phones. This place says they have cameras in the hallways, so why isnt management seeing this and doing something about it, because it is something that happens often, not only on the first floor but other floors as well.. There place also offers free laundry room use.. Well that is if those same people that are always laying all over the hallways dont have every single washer and every single dryer for their use when they are in there. Even if their washers are stopped they refuse to remove their clothing so other hotel stayers can do their laundry... Now into the rooms.. There are times where the smell in the room is so bad that you cant even walk into them. We have even witnessed people standing in the hallway argruing outside 2 seperate rooms blaming eachother for the foul odor in their room. The rooms also have kitchens for use, and its said that cooking utensils are supplied. Well majority of the stuff you need to cook with is rarely in the rooms. I have read over other reviews and see someone from the hotel staff is responding to peoples posts saying things are going to change and blah blah blah, yeah things are changing but for the worst... People stay here with their families, there are older people staying here, no one should be subjected to thinking something may happen to them with those people laying all over the hallways all times of the night... And as for the so called breakfast.. Talk about a joke... why bother offering anything at all for what is being put out there, and half the time there is nothing there... But you are charging more for room rates than what was being charged when this was Candlewood... You need to lower the rates and get this place togethor, why raise rates and not make any improvements...

Room Tip: only helpful tip i can give is ask to see room before u check in, and take a walk around the hallway...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
HawthornSuitesCT, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Hartford Meriden, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear Teresa,

I wanted to thank you for choosing the Hawthorn Suites in Meriden, CT for your recent stay. Also, thank you so much for your candid review. We did have a recent management and name change at this location. We're aware of all these issues and trust me; they're being dealt with as I write this review. We don't want any of our guests to feel that the level of service will depend on the person working the desk shift. We certainly want the same level of service across the board.

It is true that we're getting an upgrade on our breakfast - but for now what we're offering guests is in line with current Wyndham standards. That doesn't mean that its good – in fact I agree with you that our breakfast is very inferior compared to some other hotel brands in the area. Unfortunately, it is a matter of time before that improves.

As for certain people being in hallways and lying down in the hallways that definitely must have been a one off issue. Either ways, we've increased the patrolling of all hallways and public areas (including the guest laundry) to ensure that all our guests feel safe and secure here. We have made sure that any laundry being left behind by our guests in washers/dryers is being bagged by the front desk, so other guests can have access to this service as well.

We're definitely trying to improve our service and amenities and with the help of guests like you, I'm sure we will soon rise to the top. Its reviews like yours that help us serve our guests better in what we do best.

Thank you again for your response and bringing your concerns to our attention. We are taking every step possible to make sure this does not happen again. If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to contact us at the property.

Hawthorn Suites Management
SEAL COVE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

When we arrived the didnt have the room that we booked and wasnt put us in another room that couldnt accomendate our party. we were completely disappointed with this hotel. also we were suppose to have breakfst everyday and they didnt have any cause some reason they said the supplier didnt deliver that day all three days come on.

Dear Walter,

Thank you so much for your recent stay at the Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham in Meriden, CT. I also wanted to take this time to respond to your review. I wanted to start off by apologizing for your recent experience with us at the Hawthorn. You're correct; we did run out of the breakfast supplies. Unfortunately there was a union strike within the company that provides us with supplies. We could not go to a local store and get supplies in order to maintain our brand standards.

I also wanted to apologize for the room type that you reserved VS. the room type that was given to you. I do not have an answer for that. We're going to look into it and see why the room type was not available. You should be able to receive the room type that you booked with us.

I hope you will give us another chance to make things right. I do ask you to contact me, next time you make a reservation at the Hawthorn in Meriden, CT and we will do everything we can to make it right for you.

Thank you again for taking the time and filling out a survey. If I can be of any further assistance please feel free to reach out to me.

EL PASO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

There was a storm and water was leaking around the window sill in the room. Informed the staff and they gave us towels to put in the window. After that, there were water bugs around the window sill, asked staff to please spray the room for bugs. Asked the following day if they sprayed and the night attendant said that they don't have anyone over the weekend to do maintenance, so we had more bugs around the window sill. The biggest complaint was over the Friday to Sat night stay, there was extreme noise in the room above us until 2:30 in the morning. I went to the hotel staff on duty and complained, my husband went twice and finally had the attendant come to our room around 11:30 to hear for herself. She called back later and said that she was giving them one more chance to quiet down. She said it was young people upstairs. We were at the hotel for seven nights and I believe she should have told the people to check out. My husband saw a couple check out at 11:30 at night and I believe it was because of the noise. The following morning we asked if they had checked out and the attendant said yes, because if they didn't we would have left. We are Wyndham time share owners so we thought we would try this hotel, but because of the lack of maintenance and the noise we will not be back. I wonder if we could get one nights stay refunded because we hardly got any sleep that night. We told the hotel staff at checkout that our stay was not good and she apologized for our inconvenience. Also not a good selection for breakfast, dry cereal and milk would be much better than a bar.

Dear Guest,

I would like to take this time to thank you for your recent stay at the Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham. I would also like to thank you for filling out this survey as it gives us a chance to listen to what is important to our guests and improve accordingly. I do want to apologize for the inconvenience that was caused to you during your recent stay.

We have repaired the window that had the leak due to which water was seeping in your room. We do have a bug spray at the front desk and we will make sure to re-train our front desk staff in order to handle every guest request in a prompt manner, even if there is no maintenance staff on duty. We also try to remind all our guests about our quiet times, so they do not disturb other hotel guests. I am sorry that the front desk staff wasn't more proactive in resolving the noise issue for you.

We would love for you to come back and try us out again when you're in the area. Please reach out to me so we can compensate you on your next stay with us in Meriden, CT.

Thank you again for your business and we look forward to seeing you soon!

A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I was looking for an inexpensive place to stay on relatively short notice to attend a tournament in the area. I was travelling with my son and his father. I had previously stayed at another Wyndham branded hotel for business and really enjoyed my stay. I try to maintain brand loyalty whenever possible, so when I saw this hotel had availability and was in my modest budget, I booked it. The room description on the website indicated a queen bed with pull out sofa and small kitchenette, which I thought would be perfect and save me a little money since I could pack a cooler of food to prepare as opposed to eating out. Since my son's father's attendance on this trip was a game time decision, I thought that set up would be ideal. When we checked in, the lobby and hallways smelled like a nursing home. When we got to the room, I was a little surprised to see that there was no pullout sofa, only a recliner. The bed may have been a queen, but it was smaller than my queen bed at home, so not too sure about that. The kid (and he was a kid, maybe 20 years old) at the front desk was friendly enough, but he was a kid, it was late on a Friday night, so no other room available. We sucked it up and spent the night in a family bed with my son in the middle (which basically meant his father and I ended up half off the bed by the morning). "Continental breakfast" consisted of convenient store muffins, granola bars, and juice. Not a huge deal since I was prepared with food to cook and there was a two-burner stove top in the room. There was also an amazing diner directly across the street, so that was a bonus.
Overall, I was not impressed and a little disappointed given my previous experience with the brand, but the room itself was clean (although housekeeping did skip our room, even just to replace used towels or make the bed), the pillows were comfortable, the window opened for fresh air, and the kitchenette served its purpose for the weekend stay.

Dear Guest,

I wanted to thank you for choosing the Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham as your recent choice of lodging while visiting the area. We at the Hawthorn did want to apologize for your recent experience with us. We do understand that the room descriptions online can be a bit confusing and our IT department is deligently working to get that fixed. Also, even though we might have some young people on our staff; believe me that they're very dynamic and do have the ability to handle any guest situation professionally and in a timely manner.

We have recently switched to a new odor eliminator to combat the smells that one might encounter when staying at an Extended Stay Facility. We also provide housekeeping to guests who opt to stay with us atleast 5 days or more. Daily housekeeping is not provided in an effort to keep our operating costs low, which in turn results in a low rate that we can offer our guests.

I hope you'll accept my sincere apologies and give us another chance when you're visiting the area again. In the meantime if there is anything else we can do for you please feel free to reach out to us. Thank you again for choosing the Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham and we hope to see you soon!

Hawthorn Suites Management.

Been to Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Hartford Meriden? Share your experiences!