“Not bad for what it is” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 11 hotels in Meriden
“Not bad for what it is”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

Amazinly large rooms, perfect for morning yoga! Tiny little bathrooms though.
We're Priority Club members and when 3 of us checked in we got ONE complimentary bottle of spring water. Since wholesale they cost about twenty cents that felt a little funny.
But overall, it's fine for an Express Hotel.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

57 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

This is a typical Holiday Inn Express, a hotel perfectly located for our recent tours of several New England colleges. What makes most hotels of this brand a good bet is: they always have free Wi-Fi; they usually have two queen size beds; they are usually new or newer-builds; they usually have free parking; they have a free breakfast; and they are reasonably priced.

What made the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Meriden spectacular was that they returned some jewelry I had forgotten to pack. After leaving the hotel that morning, my daughter and I were standing with other parents and rising seniors at the Yale tour, when I noticed another mom with a strand of pearls. I raised my hand to my own neck to discover I had forgotten mine at the hotel! I couldn't do anything about it at that moment, since we were in the middle of the college tour.

A short while later, during lunch, my phone rang. It was the hotel manager calling to tell me they had found my pearl necklace and wanted to ship it to me. Needless to say, I was delighted that the housekeeper had 1) found the jewelry and 2) been honest in returning it. And I was pleased they had contacted me so quickly. In fact, the necklace was home before we were!

I'm ashamed to admit, I forgot to leave a tip for the housekeeper that morning; fellow travelers, please remember to leave tips for the housekeepers... they are hard-working and, as my experience shows, honest.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
HIEXMeriden, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Meriden, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind review. I am so proud of my housekeeping staff; they are truly amazing and care deeply about our hotel and guests. I am pleased to hear that you received your necklace so quickly. Please come back to see us again! Cheryl Sullivan, GM
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012 via mobile

We found this hotel because we needed a nights rest on our long drive. The staff were very friendly and got us set up quickly and were helpful with our questions. The rooms were extra large but void of character. It was odd because the bathrooms were regular size. For a weary traveller looking for a rest, this place does the trick. Don't worry if you sleep late and miss the free breakfast, it was not very good.

• Stayed August 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

Because room door was not square (due to crack running from door frame to ceiling) dead bolt did not work. Also window to room facing parking lot had broken lock and it was just laying there on the window sill. Wall paper was peeling from over window frame. Also the curtains did not block out morning sun because they were cut to wrong length and did not close properly. Too tired at time to ask to change rooms. We did not notice some things until daybreak. For a NEW hotel as its website pretends it was looking old. Find another hotel not safe for a ground floor room near an exit

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
HIEXMeriden, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Meriden, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
As the GM, I always appreciate our guests letting us know of maintenance issues so that we can tend to them quickly. I'm sorry you felt uncomfortable in your room because of the deadbolt not lining up properly. Since you had checked in so late, our chief engineer was not on site, but was made aware of the issue when you notified us upon your check out, and it was immediately looked at and rectified. Same for the window lock - he was able to fix this as well quite easily. Please know that if you had made us aware as soon as you tried the deadbolt, you would have been given another room immediately.

I hope that you will try us again - I welcome you to come back and hope that you will when in the area. If you find that the first floor does not suit your needs and that you feel more comfortable on a higher level, we are happy to accommodate your request. Just let us know what your needs are and we are more than happy to work with you!
PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Nice suite...Everything was quiet and as expected. Staff at the front desk was friendly. Breakfast crew was very nice as was the gentleman cleaning the lobby. We have a newborn and asked for an extended check-out for feeding schedule, and they were very accomodating. Breakfast was good...no complaints.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Meriden, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind words regarding our hotel, staff and service. We pride ourselves in providing the best for our guests, and it's nice to know that we were able to make your stay a pleasant one!
austin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

This hotel is ok of you are just looking to spend the night and go to sleep. Service people are nice but they seem like they are clueless about the area. Again, for the location and the type of hotel, you can't complain since the people are nice, they just don't go above and beyond. The pool is nice, on the small side, and no hot tub. The hotel and rooms are super clean. Breakfast is not the best but it can get you going in the morning. They do have a variety of items, juices, milk, eggs, breads, etc. but they are all a bit like plastic. They have the only automatic pancake making machine I have ever seen. Makes two pancakes at a time. My 5 year old was fascinated by that and I think adults were too, including me. The pancakes did not have any flavor but that was besides the point. There is not much around the hotel. The rooms have a view of the highway or people's backyards. It takes about 10 minutes in either direction to get somewhere decent to eat. The rooms and hotel were very quiet during our stay. We were on the third floor. No refrigerator in the room. If you want one, it costs $10 per day, so that was a big bummer. The rooms are spacious but seem empty.

Room Tip: I think any room would do at this hotel. I stayed on the side with the view of neighbor's backya...
Littleton, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

I gave this Hotel an Excellent rating but there were a few minor things like a coffee maker that didn't work, an Ice machine on the 3rd floor that didn't work, no work station desk in our room. Otherwise it was a great stay and the staff was very professional making us feel welcome. Special thanks to Zack who checked us in. Very nice hotel, and glad we stayed here. It's on our Best Value properties for sure.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the highway, we did and the front desk was very helpful with accommodating...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Meriden? Share your experiences!