We came by rental car from JFK to visit family and ended up staying twice for three days each (three adults, three kids the first stay in two rooms, two adults and three kids on the second stay in one room). The hotel is on route 15 south in the section where there are driveways on and off the highway. The hotel has its own driveway on and off the road. The sign for the Quality Inn next door to the south is easier to spot as one zooms down the highway and clears some trees just before the driveway. Be careful! A bigger more prominent sign that gives a bit more warning for first arrivals would be nice but may or may not be possible. Leaving, one needs to accelerate quickly if there is any traffic, however, the stop light up the street creates reasonable sized gaps in traffic, especially if one needs to make a U turn to go north. There is plenty of parking.
The lobby is spacious. Evenings, there is just one clerk who is polite and very helpful. Check-in and check-out were painless. During the day there are more people around to help, all of whom were polite and eager to help. There are package cookies in the afternoon and USA Today daily.
Our rooms for the trip were 307, 309 the first stay with two queen beds each, 207 (identical to the first 2 rooms) then 217 (2 queen beds in a suite with pullout couch) after an upgrade the second stay. All the rooms were large with plenty of room for a roll-away bed. The suite was absolutely enormous. All rooms were clean and neat on check in. Carpet was business style but reasonable to walk on with bare feet. The first three rooms had two queen beds, a small round table with two chairs, a wing back chair, a TV/dresser stand for large flat screen TV with remote control. All of the rooms had north facing windows that let in a great deal of light. AC worked well. There were no refrigerators in the regular rooms. The suite, 217, had a refrigerator and microwave. All rooms had coffee makers, irons and ironing boards. There were no safes. Free internet access codes that expire were handed out on check-in without any need to inquire. Connections were unencrypted but fast and allowed use of a VPN without difficulty. We heard no noises from adjoining rooms but muffled door opening and closing sounds could be heard from the hallway. There was a large group, possibly a family reunion, that was noisy one night out in the parking lot. The noise suddenly disappeared, we think because the staff asked for a little less noise and the group was well-behaved.
The bathroom was average sized stocked with good quality towels for three. We had to ask for extra towels each day for our party of 4 in one of the rooms but these were cheerfully brought to us. There was a tub/shower with curtain. The shower head had three settings that each worked as designed. Lighting was fine, but the fan was one of the loudest that we have had in a bath in many hotel stays.
There is no restaurant, but they offer breakfast daily. Breakfast was make it yourself pancakes (machine was out for service 2 of the 3 days on the second stay), scrambled eggs or two-egg cheese omelets (probably from a package), sausage or bacon and biscuits and gravy. There were already peeled hard-boiled eggs in the refrigerator. There was a good selection of yogurts, oatmeal, muffins and pastries, cereals (kids can ask for fruit loops), bread for the toaster, three choices of juice, ice water, coffee and tea. Milk was available in cartons in the refrigerator and thermoses by the coffee. The breakfast area had 9 tables for 4 each, a couch and two soft chairs with one large TV on the wall. We happened to be able to watch the Olympics and the Today show each morning. The single attendant keeps the food well stocked and the area neat and clean.
There is a fitness center with small kidney shaped pool (security camera but no lifeguard) and adjacent exercise equipment room that contains two treadmills, a stationary bike and a wall mounted flat screen TV. The remote control that we used on the first stay disappeared for the second stay. There is a coin operated washer and dryer on the second floor with a soap vending machine.
We had trouble with housekeeping on the second day of the second stay. We came back to the room around 4 PM to find the room unmade and no towels. The maid told us that she left towels but didn't make the beds because of clothes on them. When questioned she apparently said that she made one bed but left the others because of clothes on them and left fresh towels. There was no evidence of bed making or of fresh towels, and no clothing was left on the beds. Both the housekeeping supervisor and the manager came to see the room and apologized profusely and sincerely. We actually had called just because we wanted towels, but they seemed offended that we did not get the service they expected us to get. The supervisor went to the trouble of making up the room himself. The manager felt quite badly about the episode and offered an upgrade to a suite which was generous and unexpected.
Despite the trouble, which we judged was an unusual event, we plan to stay here again in the future because the hotel is well situated, reasonably priced, clean and comfortable, has free reliable internet, and the management is extremely responsive. We didn't give it 5 dots because of the driveway that requires extra care driving in and out, the loud bathroom fan, the very good but not outstanding linens and lack of a desk in the room.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the brand-new Holiday Inn Express conveniently located off I-91 and Route 15 in central Connecticut. Our richly appointed spacious state-of-the-art guest suites offer free Wi-Fi, wet bar with microwave and mini-fridge. The separate living area makes our suites perfect for business travelers, families, or long term assignments. Brand new 32 digital flat screen TVs are just another special touch sure to make your stay enjoyable. If traveling on business our hotel is a short drive to numerous businesses like Northeast Utilities, Aetna, Hartford Convention Center, Bristol Meyers Squibb, and other business parks on Research Parkway In Wallingford. Bradley International, Brainard, and Tweed Airports are also close by. We are situated near Wesleyan and convenient to many prestigious schools and colleges including Yale, Rosemary Choate Hall, Wesleyan, Quninnipiac and Central Connecticut State University to name a few. Leisure travelers have numerous and varied attractions to enjoy. You can catch a live concert at the Chevrolet Theatre, take a roller coaster ride at Lake Compounce, enjoy Broadway style performances at The Bushnell, see where Mark Twain lived and stroll around the botanical gardens of Hubbard park. Nearby shopping malls include Westfarms and Westfield. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, IHG, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotwire, Travelocity, Orbitz, Low Cost Holidays and Odigeo so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Meriden reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel And Suites Meriden
- Holiday Inn Express Meriden