“Better than AC” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Fox Tower

You added The Fox Tower to your Saves list
The Fox Tower
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   29 Norwich-Westerly Road, Mashantucket, CT 06338 (Formerly MGM Grand at Foxwoods)   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Mashantucket
New York
“Better than AC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We hadn't been to Foxwoods in quite a while. We stayed on the 19th floor in a gorgeous room overlooking the valley and pool. The room was amazing....comfortable bed, great bathroom and spacious. And CLEAN! We stayed in the tower the whole night (we didn't venture to the other area of the hotel) which had some nice shops and restaurants. The Red Lantern was fantastic. The only thing we didn't like was the pool setup. We thought the pool was a bit small and there were so many lounge chairs crowded together, there was barely any space to walk. Also, they try to do this Vegas style daytime pool thing which we just don't care for. Honestly, they should have another pool for people that don't want to be a part of that kind of scene. All in all it was a great experience and we liked it so much better than Atlantic City; much better quality and clientele.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
Rensselaer, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

This is my 4th time staying here. We love the pool at the Fox Tower and try to go every summer for a few days to enjoy it. Big changes here since MGM no longer runs the hotel and they are not for the better. Check in was relatively quick, however, staff was pretty curt at check in and was giving everyone standard answers behind the desk "no rooms are available yet" It was an early check in on a Sunday, we were there around 3 and check in is not until 5. It looks like they didn't even look to see if rooms were available. So I gave her my phone number and asked about the Liquid Sunday pool party going on which we have attended before and was told it was $35 a person. It used to be $10 a person if you were staying at the hotel and $25 if not. So we skipped that. Some days depending on who is there, it is $50 a person. This is definitely excessive especially with the amount of money you would spend at the pool to get drinks. So we left walked outside, sat down at a chair and my phone rings at 3:03 that my room was ready! So off to a different line to get my room keys. I had asked for a room overlooking the pool and I got a room overlooking the construction of the outlets.

The room itself is nice. They have one of the best showers in any of the hotels that I have stayed. The only thing is that one side of the bed sounded awful when you got up. Must need a new box spring or something. Maid service was good and the room was clean.

Monday morning I went out to the pool around 9 and a very nice young girl said to me that I could not bring my coffee into the pool area, no outside food or drinks are allowed. Several other woman were behind we with coffee's as well. It is ridiculous that you can't bring in a coffee that you just spent 4 bucks for at a Dunkin Donuts of Juniors which are inside Foxwoods. So when we questioned her more on it, she said the reason was because last year they found people were pouring drinks into their coffee cups, yet nobody checked any bags so we could of brought drinks in and poured them in a cup there when you bought a drink inside the pool area at even a more outrages price. $3 for a 8 oz bottle of water. So we had to drink our coffee's outside of the pool area. Nobody was happy about this as almost everyone was coming down with a coffee. The girl did handle the situations very well. She was pleasant understanding and had a smile on her face when she was speaking with people so kudos to her. Tuesday morning I go down without my coffee this time and nobody is outside checking people into the pool area so everyone was walking in with coffee and food that day.

Service at the pool area needs improvement. On Monday we tried to get a drink and we had one waitress on our side of the pool. Granted it was lunch time but it took me from 1:08 to 2:00 to get a drink. Twice I tried to order from her and she said she would be right back. Around 2 they added another waitress on to our side but they should of done that earlier. On Tuesday, service was better and quicker but when I ordered two drinks and my husband was in the pool, she was only allowed to hand me one drink. She wouldn't even leave his on the table. He had to get out of the pool to get the drink. We had lunch one day, $25 for a turkey club sandwich which was really only a turkey sandwich with bacon and an order of fries. With tax and tip, it cost us $30 and we split everything. When you go to get your towel it is only one towel per person. And when people were asking for more, the guy took the sign and slammed it on the desk. That was not necessary and it never used to be like that. You could easily get two towels if you wanted them one for the chair to sit on and one to dry off with. I don't think that is asking too much. And for a casino, there is just far too many kids in the pool. I don't think of staying at a casino to be a "family" vacation. Chairs are comfortable and if you plan on staying at the pool for most of the day, get there early. Most chairs are gone by 10 or 10:30.

Check out was easy enough from the TV, however, we waited 50 mins for a bellhop! When we tried to call the bell desk, there didn't seem to be anything programmed into the phone so we used the Guest Services button. We called at 10:40, check out is at 11 so we planned on it taking some time but not this long. I went down to the casino for a few minutes and got the car from the valet. At 11:05, I called upstairs and he told me he was still waiting. So I went to the bell hop desk and the woman told me we didn't call. I explained what we did and she said well there is a bellhop button on the phone and that is what you needed to call. So in the meantime she said they were caught up and would send someone right up. So two more phone calls and another visit to the desk finally got us a bellhop at 11:30.

All of the fees have gone up for this hotel since Foxwoods took it over including room rates, resort fees and Liquid Sunday pool parties. We enjoy the pool even with all of the kids and the room but services need to be improved.

Room Tip: I prefer the rooms with a view of the pool area in the back of the hotel. The front has all of the...
Staten Island, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

After 5 hours on the road in this crap state which every 5 miles is construction for 10, we arrived.
It might be the NE largest casino as it is spread out amongst the entire reservation. You need a car to travel to different parts of the resort. We stood in the Fox Tower which wasn't really anything special. a couple of tables and a few slots scattered around. Real seedy characters and young party goers trying to get girls back up to their rooms..LOL
The wife and I went to the Mohegan Sun for a concert and this place rocks. I think Foxwoods would be a little better if they consolidated their casinos into one huge one and updated the décor. All in all, I rather have spent the $600 for the one night at Mohegan Sun than stay at the Foxwoods....In two weeks I go back to my happy place, Vegas which blows both of these places out of the water...

Room Tip: Stay at Mohegan Sun!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Cory M, Front Office Manager at The Fox Tower, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Good afternoon PDIDY68! Thank you for your candid feedback. If I can be of further assistance please don`t hesitate to contact me directly.

Cory Merriman
Front Office Manager
(860)312-8759
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

We stayed on the 28th floor in a suite for our honeymoon. I am a regular player at Foxwoods and have no special discounts. I bet a lot too...not just subjectively. Rooms are nice, and it is clean. Overall a good place to stay. The only Casinos that are nicer are Mohegan Sun Uncasville and Hard Rock Hollywood/Ft Lauderadle/Seminole.

West Haven, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

There wasn't a bell hop available. I reserved a Director's Suite with a wooded view and got a room with a parking garage view and the jacuzzi had marijuana looking joints on the tub ledge. I requested a room change, and was told my request for the room was noted so I could have the room change ( I don't understand why I didn't get it in the first place!?) I had to go get my own key and they had a nerve NOT to have it ready for me. My husband waited 45 minutes with our luggage in a hallway while I waited to get re-checked in. Our new room had the view we wanted with a couch that I dared not sit on, it looked very used. There was soap scum on the faucets in the bathroom and hair in the jacuzzi. The fridge was questionable.There were sticky spots on the living room table and desk, holes in the curtain, and ashes on the panoramic window ledge. I was defeated and didn't want to put my husband through another 45 minute recheck in, so I pulled out my Lysol wipes and cleaned before I settled in. DON'T STAY ON A WEDNESDAY NIGHT, they apparently clean windows on Thursday mornings. The window cleaner sat at our panoramic window and talked on his cell phone at approx 8 am for about 8 minutes. I complained and was given a 2 pm checkout but someone forgot to tell housekeeping. He walked in on us naked at 10:45 am despite the usually 11 am check out and DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door. I wasn't going to complain to the manager but found out although I paid cash for my stay, $400 was charged to my card (not including the $100 incidental hold) No one told me that if I put my card on file but pay cash, they still hold the cost of the room AND the room rate for up to 6 business days. My card happened to be my debit card. I usually NEVER do that, and will always give a credit card instead from now on. I called a manager who couldn't help me and said a recovery manager would call me to make amends and release the hold on my card. Needless to say by this rant, I have not been contacted although I was put into several voice mails over a four day period. I am still waiting...........

Room Tip: Don't stay they night before they clean their windows (call and ask), bring Lysol wipes to clean...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Cory M, Front Office Manager at The Fox Tower, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Good afternoon TeeandSincere My name is Cory Merriman and I am the Front Office Manager at The Fox Tower. I am very disappointed to hear of all the challenges you faced on your anniversary visit. I will be sharing your room concerns with the Housekeeping Management team for immediate review. Please contact me directly if your Debit hold is not resolved. I would like to work with you on a future reservation if you would be so kind as to allow me the opportunity. I would also like to suggest that if you plan to celebrate any special occasions with us that you contact our Chef Concierge prior to your visit so we can assist you in planning your special trip. Thank you for your time and candid feedback, I look forward to hearing from you.

Cory Merriman
Front Office Manager
(860)312-8759
Beverly, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

The rooms were very nicely appointed and the bed was super comfortable. It's that type of bed that you stay in right up until 20 min. til checkout time. The bathroom is nice, though they could use a few more hooks for towels, clothing... but otherwise very luxurious feel. I stayed on the 14th floor Saturday to Sunday while attending a bachelor party. It was a great place to crash after a night of dinner, bar-hopping, and a comedy show. Don't like that they charge for wifi after, I think, one free day. They make enough money at Foxwoods that they should give this to their guests for free like most others.

Room Tip: You want an even numbered room in order to have the better of the views available. HIgher up the bet...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

My wife and I were going to a concert last Saturday Night at the Foxwoods MGM Casino Theater so we decided to stay on the grounds at Foxwoods and got a room discount since we were attending the show.

We had a spotless room on the 29th floor that was so quiet you would never know you were atop a casino and in a hotel full of bachelor and bachelorette parties.

Valet Service and Check-In / Check Out were smooth and trouble-free. Would stay again (although not at $450 per night).

Room Tip: Go for the upper floors
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mashantucket
Grand Pequot Tower
Hyatt Place Mohegan Sun
Hyatt Place Mohegan Sun
#1 of 4 in Uncasville
4.5 of 5 stars 671 reviews

Been to The Fox Tower? Share your experiences!