“Short and Sweet Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Fox Tower

You added The Fox Tower to your Saves list
The Fox Tower
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   29 Norwich-Westerly Road, Mashantucket, CT 06338 (Formerly MGM Grand at Foxwoods)   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Mashantucket
Phila.
“Short and Sweet Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

My wife and I traveled to the MGM Grand at Fox wood's and stayed the weekend of 10-11-13. We arrived on Friday around 3:30 PM after a 5 hour drive and were met by the valet's who took charge of the vehicle and our luggage. There was a short wait at the front desk, we were greeted by friendly and pleasant staff members who went over our bill and rates. I mention this because some reviewers reported they were not informed of the resort fees.The deluxe king room was modern and very clean with a view of the pool and surrounding woods.

The MGM is part of a large property which consist of 2 other inner connected hotels.There are numerous shops, casinos, restaurants and activities through out the property but you must be prepared to do some walking. We visited the Mashantucket Pequot Museum and found it very interesting. High Rollers Bowling lounge and restaurant was also fun. We went to the Shrine Club and had a great time. We are a couple in our mid 50's and were comfortable with the younger crowd in the club.

This is an exciting place on the weekends but you will pay premium price for rooms.We had a fantastic time at MGM, all the staff members were well dressed, very neat and professional.

Room Tip: Higher the floor better the view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Beautiful new hotel. Stayed here for a night. Although the rooms are expensive, they are definitely comfortable. It has a very modern slick feel. This contrasts from their other hotels in the area which are a bit older.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Be forewarned that I am very neurotic when it comes to bed bugs, because I firmly believe that doing a little extra instead of slacking is how you stay bug free. Also, I have never had bugs, and really don't want to get them.

Anyway I have stayed at the various Foxwoods hotels about 1 or 2 days every week since August as I received 2 free comp'd rooms a week. While using a room I always use the luggage stand, hangers, and shelves to keep everything including shoes off of the floor. I also check the mattress, sheets, seams, boxspring edges etc. for signs of bed bugs because I always figured that about 10 minutes of prevention to stop a nightmare is very much worth it to me.

Except I found no indications before or after, which is very scary. There may be NO signs at all, so on other trips they may have been present. Unknown. Very scary possibility.

So despite these precautions, on the second night of staying, I captured a single bed bug, crawling on the bed. I was sitting at the desk on my laptop, turned around, and saw it crawling across the white sheets straight towards me. It was actually very tiny, not fully mature, but unmistakable shape and rust color. I captured it to show to management. As previously stated upon looking, I couldn't find any others, or signs.

Regardless I packed up immediately and left after checking as many personal items and clothes as I could in the hotel bathroom. Went home, used the basement door, filled the washer and filled the dryer, with clothes, boots, empty bags, both on maximum HOT. Took everything taken out of travel bags and washed/dunked in pan of soapy dishwashing water. The electronics and wires I sprayed with bed bug spot killer. Dried everything out. Yes it sucked, but it makes me feel better knowing if there was even 1 bug or egg, it was most likely killed. Took around 2 hours, its not as ridiculous as it sounds.

First time for everything.

• Stayed October 2013
Morrice, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Was at Foxwoods for 3 days on business. The casino is small but decent and was never very busy (stayed on weeknights). The rooms were decent but nothing overwhelming about them. Beds were basic and firm. Bathroom was nicely furnished and decent size.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Ellington, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I just stayed for my third business trip over the last couple of years. The accommodations were first rate including the convention and banquet facilities. Restaurants had great food albeit pricey. Grounds pool and other amenities were excellent. The only negative is as always was the smoking in the casinos which carries to other public interior walkways,
Z

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Marblehead, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Was here for business. Do not like the casino scene but the hotel rooms are very nice and comfortable - quiet, good bed, big bathroom, nicely decorated. The room service was good and prompt,no complaints about the food. The hotel staff was very accommodating (especially bell and valet service) and it was easy to park in self parking when I needed to.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Woke up with 10-12 bites all over me!! My torso was riddled with itchy bug bites...Bed bugs!! After brining this up to management photos and a witness, Management did nothing. Denied my claim!! They said room was clean and no other complaints?? What?? Gross would never stay again and definitely don't recommend staying!!

• Stayed September 2013
Stacy M, Manager at The Fox Tower, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Good afternoon.
I am so disappointed and apologize that you had a negative experience while staying at our resort. I want to let you know that we have a very vigilant "anti-insect" inspection program at all four of our properties. Bed bugs are the very bane of a hotel's business.
We did a very thorough inspection of your room, when you made the claim at departure that you had been bitten. There was absolutely no activity or evidence found in your room.
I do hope that you will reconsider returning to Foxwoods in the future. We have an outside company that does objective, random inspections of all of our facilities, in support of our mission to provide impeccable and enjoyable accommodations for our guests.

In the Spirit of Hospitality,
Stacy Morataya-Pilkington
Director, Hotel Operations

Been to The Fox Tower? Share your experiences!