“Best hotel on Foxwoods Property” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Fox Tower

You added The Fox Tower to your Saves list
The Fox Tower
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   29 Norwich-Westerly Road, Mashantucket, CT 06338 (Formerly MGM Grand at Foxwoods)   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Mashantucket
Halifax, Canada
“Best hotel on Foxwoods Property”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I have stayed at the MGM on two of my last four trips to Foxwoods. While it is a longer walk than the other hotels (especially since I am a poker player) it is worth it- especially when you have a director's suite! The linens are so much better at this property, and it has a feeling of luxury missing at the other on site hotels. The gym is well equipped and the outdoor and indoor pools both look lovely (have not tried them). I did find it odd (and inconvenient) that in order to go to the show my photo I'd- not something I usually carry when going to work out. The only food I have eaten at MGM is cappuccino and gelato, both or which were tasty.

I would stay here again for sure, worth the extra walk.

Room Tip: I like the rooms facing the pool and the wilderness
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I have stayed here 5 or 6 times over the past couple years. I don't gamble much instead go for a night away and a good meal but in off-season I have received offers for a free room night so it pays to sign up for the Foxwoods rewards card no matter how little you gamble. When I pay for the room I have each time found it cheaper than the Grand Pequot, which is older and less to my liking.
The check-in is easy, front desk staff have been very friendly and quick each time. Never had a problem with cleanliness of rooms. One time upon check-in the TV in my room wasn't working but someone from the facilities department was there in less than 20 minutes, taking only 2 or 3 minutes to fix the problem.
Haven't used the spa or pool onsite but relatives and friends all enjoy them.

Room Tip: Like any hotel, ask for a room farther away from elevators. Views are great from any level or side o...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Revere, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I have been staying at this Hotel since it was built .I have always been satisfied with this four star facility.Staff is always cordial ,rooms are clean and modern. Casino is typical Vegas style design and serves it's purpose. M.G.M. Theater is an incomparable venue to see any performance ,especially music.Acoustics are fantastic,sightlines are excellent,not a bad seat in the place and seating is comfortable with adequate leg room. Four Aces !

Room Tip: Riverside , high floors are preferable.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Everytime I go to Foxwoods I stay at MGM. Gorgeous rooms that are always pristine! Never an issue with service they've been quite helpful. Great location in the resort. No noise issues. Satisfied every time thus far.

• Stayed October 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I arrived on Thursday night 7:30 pm with no bellman on duty, no carts and then 1.5 hour wait to checking. So decided to eat dinner in juniors adjacent to lobby and line would be less. At end of dinner we alternated between family members and it was still 45 minute wait. When it was our turn we were told only smoking room Kings left. Problem Mom with medical issue and 2 kids 19 year old girl and 15 year old boy. We offered to pay for suite for night and check out at 8am and they could have suite for weekend. Ms. Julie Cleaowich front desk shift manager said I had to take a smoking room even though I had booked nonsmoking or she would give me lists of places in area to call. I implored with her that for several reasons I could not stayin smoking room and she said none available on property. So as I was trying to call corporate relations, my daughter heard them giving a couple a non smoking room who was 20 minutes behind us in line. Then a Dad and daughter I know was given a nonsmoking room with two beds. In addition I met up with another Mom who had 2 children who they also were saying smoking and 1 bed. While this was going they were calling other hotels for roll always. All of these families were here for a soccer tournament so as far as I know no high rollers.the only thing I can think was women alone with2children. I'm married but my husband didn't take day off from work. Just plain old discrimination. I had booked earlier in calendar year, had. Arrived and waited reach front desk sooner had used premium credit card. I'm writing this on IPAD so please excuse messy typing.

Ms. Cleaowich was the least customer service oriented person I ever met. After I told her since this was a multiple family problem she really should be calling area hotels for us. She told me she found one but it was more money. I said I had to have nonsmoking. She took my credit card and ID but never told new hotel Hilton Garden Inn any info about us and another family who drove over there. And she never offered to give us resort pass even though other family had 10 year old girl crying that she could go in pool with her friends.

I am stunned completely. It wasn't about money for us but health reasons. Never mind my daughter was playing at 8am Saturday morning and this was really distracting.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Stacy M, Manager at The Fox Tower, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Dear Mrs. M,

Thank you for taking your valuable time to post a review on TripAdvisor. I am thrilled that we have had the opportunity to speak, and I look forward to meeting you in person.
With respect to the anonymity on TripAdvisor, I will reference in more general terms, our discussion. As you know, Foxwoods is thrilled to be hosting a very large soccer group, with more than 1900 guests on property. MGM Grand at Foxwoods committed every single one of our 2-bedded, Queen rooms to the group. We prepared for the arrival of the families and teams, and thought that we had accurate arrival information and times.
Unfortunately, we were wrong.
As I had explained during our conversation, we depend on reliable arrival information to provide the exceptional service that MGM Grand at Foxwoods has become known for. WIthout too much detail, we were most definitely NOT told to expect 1200 people to flood the hotel Lobby at 6pm, on buses. This led to a very challenging evening for our arriving guests, and I regret this very much. As we move forward and plan for next year's group, we will be (I am certain) given much more detailed and accurate information. I hope that your family joins us next year. I am very confident that you will be thrilled if you do.
Being the largest casino in the Northeast, we certainly do cater to all types of guests, and many of our treasured, loyal guests are smokers, who appreciate the ability to smoke in their rooms when stepping away for a break from the gaming floor. For that reason, we do have 4 smoking permitted floors. Of course, we do have 2 bedded, Queen rooms on those floors. In anticipation and celebration of our arriving athletes, we did seek from the travel planners, a list of those who had medical aversions to smoking permitted rooms. We received an extensive list, and it pleases me to report that every guest who sent that information in advance, received a non smoking accommodation.
In addition, any guests who arrived on Thursday and did not receive their preferred room type, were moved and accommodated early Friday.
Working hand in hand with the travel company, I assure you that we are committed to providing every comfort to the families and teams that are traveling with the group.
I do hope that the weather clears, and that I can, as we discussed, escort you and your family to the Foxwoods pool of your choice for the day. Congratulations to your daughter on the big win. I hope to have the opportunity to apologize to your children for their first experience at MGM Grand at Foxwoods.

I remain at your service.

Stacy Morataya-Pilkington
Hotel Manager
SMorataya-Pilkington@Foxwoods.com
860.312.8525
Burlington, Vermont
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Wow. I am at this hotel now and am appalled by the poor service. Am here for another soccer tournament. The hotel was completely unprepared for the arrival of families. We waited in line for nearly 2 HOURS just to check in! They had three people working at registration (and 4 or 5 empty computer stations).
When I asked for some sort of compensation (a breakfast voucher perhaps?) I was told they would do no such thing.
The place stinks like cigarettes, they are totally overwhelmed by the numbers of people here. I see on the breakfast list that if we're hungry in the morning we can buy a $6 muffin.
This hotel contracted with the soccer association. It is the most expensive of the hotels offered and clubs were assigned to hotels- with no choice in the matter and fined if we backed out so we have no recourse. Of course we are getting a somewhat discounted rate-- and every penny of it feels like a ripoff.

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Canton, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Stayed for one night to go gamble. We checked in about 7PM and had to wait a little while, even though we were premier members. The room was smaller than we expected for the price. We requested a non-smoking room, however; they gave us a smoking room. We had to ask them to change rooms several times before they accommodated us. The bed was ok - definitely not the most comfortable one we have stayed in. If I was going to the casino again I would try a different hotel.

Room Tip: There was some construction when we went. I would make sure you request a room away from the constr...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Fox Tower? Share your experiences!